Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

6 ply vrs. 2 ply tires.?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Shapeshifter Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 ply vrs. 2 ply tires.?

Forgot about the 5.8.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe we don't agree on what an interceptor is, but I use the definition that automakers like my employer of 20+ years do. Interceptors are police cars that are made to outrun production cars in a chase. If you're a cop trying to close the distance on a muscle car you aren't going to do it with a van, SUV, or pickup. You need something more like the cars in the first Mad Max movie for it to be considered an interceptor. It has to be a CAR. That's why Ford says the the police vans and SUVs they make aren't interceptors but the Crown Vic is.

Decades ago when my uncle was a constable he could buy all kinds of cool stuff like a fast car, and a Ruger AC556F assault rifle with a 13" barrel. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] His personal car that he bought was a Fury III police car. It went at least 140 mph but no one took any higher that I know of. I wonder what a real cop car engine like that would do would do in a truck? No matter what combination of words I google, I still can't find a single pickup truck factory made with a police interceptor engine, or conveted by an aftermarket company. I can't find an F-150 with an interceptor engine put in it by an individual either. I guess it's too area 51 top secret for any civillians to have one of those engines.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

Maybe we don't agree on what an interceptor is, but I use the definition that automakers like my employer of 20+ years do. Interceptors are police cars that are made to outrun production cars in a chase. If you're a cop trying to close the distance on a muscle car you aren't going to do it with a van, SUV, or pickup. You need something more like the cars in the first Mad Max movie for it to be considered an interceptor. It has to be a CAR. That's why Ford says the the police vans and SUVs they make aren't interceptors but the Crown Vic is.

Decades ago when my uncle was a constable he could buy all kinds of cool stuff like a fast car, and a Ruger AC556F assault rifle with a 13" barrel. [img][/img] His personal car that he bought was a Fury III police car. It went at least 140 mph but no one took any higher that I know of. I wonder what a real cop car engine like that would do would do in a truck? No matter what combination of words I google, I still can't find a single pickup truck factory made with a police interceptor engine, or conveted by an aftermarket company. I can't find an F-150 with an interceptor engine put in it by an individual either. I guess it's too area 51 top secret for any civillians to have one of those engines.</end quote></div>

The 4.6 police intercepter engine probably could'nt handle a truck frame.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Moto Psycho

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: scrambler400enoge

The 4.6 police intercepter engine probably could'nt handle a truck frame.</end quote></div>

Interceptors are heavy but trucks are even heavier so maybe they need a 7.2 liter. Or bigger. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Bigger is always better.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

Friend of mine had an f-250 with a ford 460 in it,the engine was modded a good bit and when he stepped on the gas you could watch the gas gauge go down.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Moto Psycho

Friend of mine had an f-250 with a ford 460 in it,the engine was modded a good bit and when he stepped on the gas you could watch the gas gauge go down.</end quote></div>

You don't need air conditioning. The gas gauge will fan you off when it spins. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

The biggest engine I've seen stock in a truck was probably a 454 or 460 but I've seen some big blocks that were bored and stroked bigger. On some of them they had to take the hood off the truck because you couldn't close it. Still not as fast as a Chevy Nova with a 454 one guy had in high shcool. When gas 79 cents a gallon nobody worried about mileage. Ah, the good old days. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

My father in law's dragster that I mentioned that has a chevy 555 uses about a gallon every 1/4 mile pass.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

The 4.6 police intercepter engine probably could'nt handle a truck frame.</end quote></div>

All you would need to do it change a few things and it'll bolt right up. It's not that hard to do since the short block is the same. It's the upper part (heads and up) that are different.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe we don't agree on what an interceptor is, but I use the definition that automakers like my employer of 20+ years do. Interceptors are police cars that are made to outrun production cars in a chase. If you're a cop trying to close the distance on a muscle car you aren't going to do it with a van, SUV, or pickup. You need something more like the cars in the first Mad Max movie for it to be considered an interceptor. It has to be a CAR. </end quote></div>

This isn't a car

http://thekneeslider.com/archi...ceptor/comment-page-2/

Old 01-05-2009, 05:28 AM
Moto Psycho

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sprayedgt

Maybe we don't agree on what an interceptor is, but I use the definition that automakers like my employer of 20+ years do. Interceptors are police cars that are made to outrun production cars in a chase. If you're a cop trying to close the distance on a muscle car you aren't going to do it with a van, SUV, or pickup. You need something more like the cars in the first Mad Max movie for it to be considered an interceptor. It has to be a CAR. </end quote></div>

This isn't a car

http://thekneeslider.com/archi...ceptor/comment-page-2/</end quote></div>

That makes it kind of hard to haul the bad guys to jail after you catch them, doesn't it? Anyway, I thought we were all talking about automobiles, not motorcylces, boats, jet aircraft, surface to air missles, or anything else. Like I already said in the post you just quoted, I use the definition that automakers like my employer of 20+ years do. If you want to talk about other interceptors then lets talk about the Lockheed YF-12. Is 2,275 mph fast enough for you? That makes the Busa look slower than a snail in low gear. One of the other Blackbirds, an SR-71, went from New York to California and crossed the time zones so fast it got there 2 hours before it left. You can't do that on a Busa, either.

Quick Reply: 6 ply vrs. 2 ply tires.?