Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Need good tough tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need good tough tires

Hi i had bought 489 titans from wilmart for 60 dollars for the set. I have read mix review on them but after on trip out on a hunting trip. I have a slow leak in one of the tires. No sticks were in it but i see a few poly belts i think on the tread. It is a slow leak so i put slime in it for now. I need to save up for better all round tires. the stock ones that came with it were tough but good year isn't making them now. So, what tires do i need. I ride over all kinds of things so they need to be tough thx

Old 12-06-2010, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

I remember you asking about these tires previously,i believe. Them 489s i think are 4 ply tires. Id go to a 6 ply. Depending on your terrain and style of riding, Mudlites are good popular tire, 589s are more for mud but are tough tires,swamplites are a good all around tire, anything being 6 ply (even 8 ply if you want)with a semi aggressive or aggressive tread will work well with your arctic cat. I too have one and a 6 ply tire makes it handle and steer a whole lot better also. of course the more aggressive will ride rougher. When i buy, i try to buy a tire with a lug at least an inch deep if not more and not too aggressive. this way i will get long life out of them. My 589s surprisingly have 4,000 miles on them and are now at half inch of tread,not bad. My swamplites had 1 1/4 to start with and have 1,500 miles on them now with about an inch left on them.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:57 AM
Range Rover

GBC Spartacus... 8 ply radial. Extremely tough... and heavy

GBC Grim Reaper 8 ply bias. Also tough... also heavy.

None of them are indestructible. I've already seen a Pit Bull Rocker take a nasty hit that required 4 plugs.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I guess it depends on the machine, and what you want out of your tires.

There are a number of mud tires, most of which don't ride well on the trail.

For an all around tough tire, I really like the Bighorn Radials. They handle well, wear like iron, and seem to be very puncture resistant. They excel in loose stuff, rocks and what not, and are decent in mud and snow.

Mudlite XTR radials are another popular choice in a tire that gives much better than stock tire traction in snow and mud, and still handles well as a trail tire.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:44 AM
Range Rover

Yes I was hoping that these were the 6 ply rated ones lol. I seen they have them listed as 6ply. Oh well for 60$, it will i hope give me some time to get the more expensive ones. they handle actually pretty good but only 60 miles on them and already have a leak. The goodyears didn't do that.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I really like the Mudlite XTRs that I saved for and bought. They work well in every kind of riding I've done. We ride snow, sand, clay mud, hard pack, soily black mud, deep waterholes, ice, and lots of rocks. They've been good in and on all surfaces.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Rude Robert
Yes I was hoping that these were the 6 ply rated ones lol. I seen they have them listed as 6ply. Oh well for 60$, it will i hope give me some time to get the more expensive ones. they handle actually pretty good but only 60 miles on them and already have a leak. The goodyears didn't do that.
If you like them other than the leak, and money is tight, I'd say time to find and fix the leak...

Could be a valve stem, or a bead not sealed.

Trending Topics

Old 12-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Originally Posted by JeffinTD
I guess it depends on the machine, and what you want out of your tires.

There are a number of mud tires, most of which don't ride well on the trail.

For an all around tough tire, I really like the Bighorn Radials. They handle well, wear like iron, and seem to be very puncture resistant. They excel in loose stuff, rocks and what not, and are decent in mud and snow.

Mudlite XTR radials are another popular choice in a tire that gives much better than stock tire traction in snow and mud, and still handles well as a trail tire.
I'll second the Bighorns. Very good tire 6 ply is just about right unless you are riding rocks a great deal of the time. 8 ply's tend to be very heavy and rob extreme amounts of power.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Range Rover

hi i am fixing the leak but those tires shouldn't leak that easy lol

Old 12-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

I remember having the 489's years ago and thought they were a pretty good tire. Not real agressive tread pattern which made for a nice ride and decent in the snow. One thing I've noticed the past few years is a more agressive tire doesn't make a better snow tire.
If you are happy with the ride and haven't had issues getting stuck I would look at any 6 ply tire without the deep lug. If it's not needed and you don't often go in mud, the regular lug might suit you better.
Also realize that the radials are the nice tire but also run 50%-100% more than a bias ply....the price you pay for comfort.
A 6ply with regular lugs shouldn't run you too much and I think for your riding style, should do you.
Good luck tire shopping!

P.S.- I have the maxxis Zilla. A four ply tire and yet have had to put in a plug though I see a slice or too. Mudlites are known for the sidewall slice also-a six ply tire.