Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

BI/TRI CLAWS...MUD BUGS....DIRT DEVILS

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2001, 01:15 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I AM GOING TO PURCHASE SOME MORE REAR TIRES FOR MY HONDA TRX 300. I HAVE NARROWED IT DOWN TO THESE THREE. THE BI CLAWS LOOK NASTY AS WELL AS THE MUD BUGS. I AM TRING NO TO GET A HEAVIRE TIRE LIKE THE VAMP.(33 LBS!) THE BEST THING ABOU THE DIRT DEVILS ARE THEY WEIGHT ONLY 24LBS AND ARE 6 PLY.. CAN ANYONE HELP OUT WITH YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH TIRES. MY SIZE WILL BE 25X12X9

Old 04-14-2001, 10:04 PM
Range Rover

The Dirt Devils that we have are very good. We are quite happy with them. I don't think they are quite as aggressive as your other choices.

Old 04-15-2001, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know a thing about the dirt devils, so I can't comment on that. And, as I'm running the Bi/Tri Claw MAGNUMS-the 27" size, they are different than the smaller size Bi/Tri's. I was looking originally at the Mud Bugs and Titan 589's. (the 589's in the 25" size won a mud tire shoot out by the way) Anyway, the bugs are a 6 ply tire and are made of the same light weight rubber that the Outlaws are made from now. In the 25" size, they should be pretty close to the dirt devil weight. It seems that the 27" bugs weighed just a pound or so less than my 25" 489's, they came in around 27 lbs. I ended up with the Bi/Tri Claws, and must say I absolutely love them. They are a go anywhere and do it with authority type tire-chew it up and spit it out, beg for more, and mean as hell to boot. I have around 600 miles on mine and have been very happy with their performance. Keep in mind though, the 25" size is a differnet pattern, I'm not sure of their performance record. You might look at the web site-www.mudtires.com I believe, that should be the mud machine site-they're the ones who make the 'Claws. I can't remember the exact address for Maxxis, seems like it was www.maxxistire.com. Anyway do a search, that will give you the mud bug site. From what I've heard, they are a great tire as well.

Anyway, hope that helps and best of luck,

Mike

Old 04-16-2001, 11:21 AM
Range Rover

thanks cowboy! only problem with the those tires is that they only come in a 22 inch size. I have factory 25 inch on the back and dont want to loose clearence.

Old 04-16-2001, 11:30 AM
Range Rover

I have found some 25x13.5x9 tri claws are they any good? Kind of high though 72.95. Compared to the bear claws 59.95. Are they that much better.?

Old 04-17-2001, 05:33 AM
Pro Rider

Just looked at the mudmachine site again, seems they have the Bi-Claws in the 25" size, but not for a 9" rim-smallest was the 10". The Tri-Claws do go down to a 9" rim, for a 25" tire, but as for the comparison with the bear claws, I honestly can't tell you on that one. I do love my 'Claws though (again, in the 27" magnum size), they are a go anywhere, do anything tire. Definately a great investment for my needs. A word of caution though, if you like to turn a lot of donuts and such, you'd better be carefull-they hook up fast-real fast. I've darned near flipped myself before trying to be funny in front of some buddies-came in hard and fast towards them one time, then cranked it, tried to kick the back end loose. Well, the back end didn't kick loose, I almost rolled it-had to catch it with my foot. The traction of these tires is enormous. I doubt there's anything they can't go through. At higher rpm's though, when you first begin to dig in hardpack or loose dirt, it's too late, you've dug yourself in, time for reverse. They do dig pretty quickly once you break tread. In mud or deep snow though, they seem to "pull" you through nearly everything, even when high centered-as long as they're touching something, anything for that matter, you've got a good forward momentum. Tell your buddies to watch out though from behind and to the sides-they do throw a good bit of mud, rocks, whatever else you get into.

Sorry I can't help with the Bearclaws, no "hands on" experience with them, and don't know anybody who runs them. Best of luck in the search,

Mike

Old 04-20-2001, 05:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

The Claws are a good tire.They rock in the mud.The only thing I dont like about them is the ride,but thats with any rough terrain tire.I ride with a guy who has the Bi/tri package and he hardly ever gets stuck.But I will agree that if you want to get crazy with doughnuts and such please take my advice and STAY AWAY FROM THESE TIRES!!! They are not made for this.They are mad for traction and thats what you get,pure unadulterated traction.As for the Mud Bugs,I also have a friend who just got some of these tires.No word on how good they hook in the mud yet but they look like a killer tire.As soon as I get word from him ill be sure to post the results.

Live Long Play Hard And Get Muddy!!

Trending Topics

Old 04-23-2001, 01:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

They are definitely not the tire for donuts. Very good in mud though, and great overall traction for anything else. Last time out, I was the only one not to get stuck, but there wasn't anyone else there with decent mud tires either. Its utterly amazing what these tires are capable of. I went through stuff that I had no idea was possible of going through. I tore up my front differential in the process though, but that has nothing to do with the tires. Chalk that one up to the lift kit.

Old 04-24-2001, 01:57 PM
Trailblazer

I bought the Mud Bugs for my Arctic Cat. The 26x12s weigh in at 28.5lbs each...not bad for a 6ply tire. I don't think the Bugs are available for 9" rims. You can get the Tri-Claws in 25x13.5-9.