Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

installed titan 589 on grizzly, 26 in

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002 | 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

As soon as a Grizzly comes in at a local dealer, they put on the ITP C Series wheels and 27" 589s and sell it as a package. So my point is, they must work OK.
I'm getting my Grizzly in next week with C Series and 27" Blackwater XTs, 9" front, 12" rear. So they'd better work!

Old 04-28-2002 | 02:30 AM
Pro Rider

I ride with the Dirt Devil 27" on my griz and my riding bud uses 27" 589's on his. Both bikes are on stock rims. Both do not in anyway rub the fenders or anything else for that matter. We are pounding the heck out of these bikes and i can say....Wow..i love it!!!

Hope that helps anyone out that is getting tires on stock rims. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Jonathan

Old 04-28-2002 | 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm glad to hear you guy's are pounding the GRIZ and running 27" tires. I figured they would work, but went with the 26" tires for a couple reasons. First because I wasn't sure about the clearance issue, and second because I do a wide varity of riding and wanted to keep the weight of the tires/ wear and tear down on long easy trail rides. I the extra inch wasn't worth the con's, but I'll probally go 27" next time around if no one has problems. I'm very happy with the machine/tire combo so far. I got the griz before the other new big quads showed up around here and was a little worried how it would measure up. I am no longer worried and would get the same set-up if I had to replace it. I have a question for everyone....what do you haul the grizzly on ? Just wondering!! Let me know how you like your tire set-ups & don't forget...RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT !!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-28-2002 | 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

I use an 8x10 trailer to haul the bikes on. It is a snowmobile trailer (steal) with torquetion(spelling) suspension. I have towed the bikes both ways on the trailer, facing forward, and sideways. We use ramps to put them on sideways and i like this setup better. Reasoning??? Because i figure that i would loose a bike either by stomping on the gas or stomping on the brakes. We use four tiedowns per bike too. I have the finger release style and i dont really recommend these to anyone. Go with rachet style tiedowns. I have friends that say their tiedowns have broke on them. MAKE SURE that they are rated (lbs wise) for your use. The cheaper ones are not rated for high poundage and thus the BREAKS! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

There are several trailers out there. I think if you are only hauling one bike, then go to Minards or Lowes and find a trailer. They seem to be alot cheaper than others out there. I dont know about you, but my next trailer will be alluminum or stainless steal. The steal ones seem to scratch really easy and they RUST. The price difference will put you into shock!

Let me know what you come up with....family is always looking for trailers, so i would like to be helpful to them as well.

Jonathan

Old 05-02-2002 | 09:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a new landscape trailer. I think its 6'X10'. I like the trailer but I haven't been happy with any tie domn systems that I have come up with. I just ordered the new yamaha RX-1 sled so I got a new 2 place enclosed for that also. I was hoping my quad would fit on that, but with the box I mounted on the back, I can't close the trailer. I kind of wish I had bought an enclosed utility trailer that I could have hauled either machine in, but they 're BIG bucks. Back to the tie down thing again, I rode with some guys the other day that had a nice tie down system I may try. They used chains and a small chain binder and it works real nice. I'm surprised theres nothing out there designed for quads. Its allot of money to trust to nylon straps. Seems like everyone has a horror story. A friend of mine had his quad pass by him at a stop light and go into the intersection after it came off the trailer!!

Old 05-03-2002 | 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

Jonathan,

Case and point. My rear finger release tie downs gave way on me the other day. Luckily I was only in town getting my ATV gassed up. But it caused my 650 to rub my gold grill guard against my red trailer leaving red streaks.

My trailer has a gate with three 5/8 inch pins and holes so my ATV will never fly out. But I now use six tie downs all pulling in opposite directions in case one or more breaks again. I still have finger release tie downs. I also hook up my ATV to the front of the trailer with my winch cable and I use garden hose cut-outs on my grill guard just in case.

FYI, I use a bungee cord across my seat attached to my footpegs so it does not fly off in North Dakota wind.

Question: I hear that one is not supposed to transport an ATV with it in gear as it wrecks the gearing or tranny? Its supposed to be in neutral. Is this true?

Daryn

Old 05-03-2002 | 09:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't know about the neutral thing but I'd like to hear what others have to say about it. My grizzly has a park position so I tow it in park. I'm going to an ATV rally saturday so I'm going to work on some tie down methods today.

Old 05-03-2002 | 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

Now you see why i tow my bikes "sideways". LOL, i havent had any real pressure on the straps...THANK GOD! I cant even imagine losing a bike off a trailer.

I am going to start putting a bungee over the seat like you said. THANKS.

Sorry that you have to sell your bike 660FD. I would have loved to buy it, but i already have two! I will ask some of the family if they are interested in it. I dont think that they will be, but it is always worth a try. They are wanting smaller (cheaper) bikes then the ones that i bought.

Let us know what you come up with on the tiedowns!

Rid'n friend til da end!

Jonathan

Old 05-03-2002 | 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

Guys,

The Prairie 650 is notorious for hardships regarding getting the seats back in place properly. In the Kawi threads, many a rider has lost their seats going down the highway. $65.00 do replace. Fortunately, my seat works fine. But I use two bungee cords across the seat just to be safe.

I cannot fit my ATV sideways on my trailer. But I started backing it onto the trailer so flying rocks and debris from my truck tires do not ding up the front end of my ATV. Works pretty well.

Daryn