Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Buy New Shocks Or Revalve Current Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2000, 08:23 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going from stock to +2" A arms on an '88 250R chassis with a 350X motor which is used for MX racing. I was going to send out my Works triple rate front shocks to be revalved for the wider A-arms. But now I have heard so much about the TCS shocks I am wondering if I should fork out the extra cash for new ones. I have heard you can modify the Works front shocks to make them "zero preload" but I don't know if they will be as good as the TCS. Has anyone had this revalve done? I am also considering modifying the stock 250R rear shock to make it a "zero preload". I would appreciate comments from anyone who has experience with these shock mods. Would they be comparable to buying new TCS or PEP shocks? Thanks.

Troy

Old 03-14-2000, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

I think having your fronts done by TCS would be just as good as new ones because they use Works bodies anyway. PEP also uses works bodies.

Old 03-15-2000, 11:30 AM
Trailblazer

As Blaster668 said the TCS and PEP use works bodies, so all TCS will have to do is toss out works piston and put in their own, and anodize the shock bodies so they won't contaminate the shock oil.

Mr_400eX

Old 03-15-2000, 05:14 PM
Trailblazer

I just sent my stock rear shock off my TRX250R to TCS for there #3 revalve and rebuild as I have blown it out 2 times in the last year jumping 45ft washes and todd who does the conversion said what they do in a sence is turn your stocker into a works for less cost because they use your body's and res to build from.
I was impresed enough after talking to him that I also took the shock off my wifes 240 blaster and sent it in to have their up-grade done to it.

Also on the side it takes TCS about 3 weeks to do the work and you have to wait at least 4-6 weeks for a works or even longer for pep ect...
(I called all over and can't find any faster dates...)

Old 03-16-2000, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

Actually, TCS and Legacy ATV will rebuild your Works fronts. TCS and Legacy have the same conversion kit so basically they will make your Works shocks into their shocks for about half the cost of new, and you can even keep your old parts. Then you can buy the parts you don't have from Works and build another set of shocks! As far as the rear, a stock rear Honda shock is as good as any aftermarket shock that is built today(that cam e out of Wayne at PEP's mouth by the way!). The only reason why some people use the totally different aftermarket shock, is because they have a different linkage, or they like wasting money(Just Kidding)! Anyway, you probably waited too long to get this done because now you are going to have to wait a few weeks as the season has begun. However, if you can't get it done by TCS then give Legacy ATV a call they both do the same thing to your shocks.

Old 03-16-2000, 01:49 PM
Trailblazer

Your right, the stock shocks on most hi-perf bikes are plenty good for most riders. I had just had mine re-built about 2 month's ago and jumped last weekend and it blew-out, so if you are a better rider or jumper the stock shock will not handle the extra strain. So in this case a up-grade is required.

Old 03-16-2000, 10:22 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was leaning toward having my shocks re-valved and now after listening to you guys it sounds like the best option. I did have my stock rear shock revalved by Pro-Action 2 years ago and I was not happy with it so I was a little concerned. Oh - Raychalp, I did not wait too long to have this done because I am recovering from ACL reconstruction surgery on my right knee from a MX incident last year so I can't race until May anyway. Thanks again!

Old 03-19-2000, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

Tough break!! I feel your pain(of not being able to race that is!) I am still waiting for my frame that I ordered back in October. In the meantime, people are gaining valuable points on me! I am not happy, but once I get mine reassembled I am going to make them all eat my dirt! Good luck with the ACL recovery.