Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

honda 400ex tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 2001 honda 400 ex and the back tires are getting bold, and wondering wehat tires are the best one's out there, i do alot of trail riding on dirt and and going through mudd, going off jumps, and wonderign what tire would be my best fit. thanks for any help and what website is good for buying used tires. thansk for any help
adam

Old 09-29-2002, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

I've seen alot of guys using the Maxxis All-tracks for a good combination trail/mud/fun tire. They are 4 ply and seem to have a good stiff sidewall, and some decent lugs on the sides for getting you through the mud and ruts. Or you may want one of the new kenda dirt tires. I really don't think that the holeshots, razr's, etc...are the best for trail riding. But, they do look really nice. I think when I replace mine, they will be 22" all tracks, or those Kenda tires (can't remember the exact name). Check out rockeymountainatv.com and recreationtires.com for the best prices around.

Old 09-30-2002, 07:25 PM
Range Rover

I have 22 inch RAZRs and I am very happy with their performance on trails and in the mud. The Holeshot XCTs should also be just as good. Both of these tires are used for GNCC racing, which is basically "extreme" trail riding.

Old 09-30-2002, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the help guys....so many tires out there but not knowing which is best and you guys helped me... my back ones are bad only, would it be better to go with all new ones including thew front as well or does it matter. I think i will go with all new ones, justso that they are all new and dont need to get front ones later..
and one other question, i am new to quads, how do you guys change your mud tires to sand paddles, do they make a stand for quads like they have for bikes?? and if you have a stand what kind and how much ? thanks
adam

Old 09-30-2002, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

Go to Costco, I'm sure you have one somewhere close to Everett. They sell an atv/motorcycle high lift jack. I jack up my 400ex, and can change all 4 tires/wheels in less than 20 minutes. The jack only costs $90. Alot of my friends went out and bought them after seeing mine. It's a slick set-up. It also works for motorcycles (comes with 4 short ratchet tie-downs to keep the bike from tipping over). If you're ever headed down to the Oregon Dunes, drop me a line, I'll see if I can meet you out there.

Old 10-11-2002, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default honda 400ex tires

im running Razrs all around...they work great for my conditions. ill admit that they spin reall easy in the wet muddy grass, which is my favorite theing to do with 28 ponies under my butt..

Old 10-25-2002, 12:34 PM
Range Rover
Default honda 400ex tires

Here's an option that you may or may not have looked at. In my opinion, the stock Ohtsu radials on the 400ex work excellent for an all-around use tire. Sure there are better mud/snow tires, better hardpack racing tires, etc...but for all around good performing multi-tasking tires, the stock tires work great! I have used Holeshot tires in the past with great results, and if I were to buy another set of aftermarket tires, I'd go with the Holeshot XC or XCT tires. But what I don't like about most of the aftermarket tires is that being a flatter profile, tougher compound tire, they're not as smooth or comfortable on the trail...you can feel every bump and it can get annoying. I have a set of Holeshot MX tires on Douglas wheels ready to mount up for when I know I'm going to be doing track riding...but I always keep my stock tires on for trail duty. You mentioned used tires, well if you've ever gone on Ebay, you can do a search for "400ex tires", and you'll have probably a dozen people selling like new, or brand new take off tires, rims, combos, you name it. I think it's worth a look.