Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Rider Review-ITP Holeshot ATR Tires in Snow and Mud

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 02:16 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rider Review-ITP Holeshot ATR Tires in Snow and Mud

Did a ride in my local mountains (trails behind lake Arrowhead). The shady spots had snow, and the sunny spots had plenty of mud where the snow had melted. THESE TIRES ROCK!!! I had not had a chance to ride the 2X4 Rancher much since I put the ATR's on, so I figured this would be an extreme test of both bike and tires (vs. using the 4X4 Rancher). Traction was great in both mud and snow, and the tires shed mud and didn't pack up at all. The deep lugs on this tire really take a bit out of the terrain. (One point to consider is that the soils here in the southwest are mostly decomposed granite, so we don't have the heavy clay that you have in some parts of the country.) There was only one steep snowy hill that I didn't make, and that was because I deliberately picked a bad line to see what would happen.

One thing I have learned is that these tires do better with a bit more air in them. So far I like 5 lbs., but I am still experimenting. The higher pressure helps eliminate that feeling of the steering fighting you on the 4X4. I hope ITP will be coming out with these tires in other sizes (like 22" for the Recon)!!!!

Old 01-05-2003, 02:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the report.i have been considering these tires for my rubicon but i am concerned about ground clearance since i have always run 26 tires on it,but for everything else i need these tires seem to be the ticket..

Old 01-11-2003, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

I too, am considering these tires for my next set on my P650.

Old 01-14-2003, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider

I have them but am now running 26in Mudlites. I will switch over to them after spring breakup. I have both sets mounted the ATR,s are on the stock rims. If I dont know what the riding conditions are going to be I plan on taking both sets with me.All is snow and ice for know.