Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Looking for suggestions Yamaha Kodiak

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 03:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for suggestions Yamaha Kodiak

I have a 2001 Kodiak. I use it primarily during the elk archery season to get my camp in and out of the mountains, as well as any elk if I'm lucky enough to arrow one.

The trail/terrain that I ride on is very rocky, sharp rocks! Most of the trail is on a hard side hill. With the Kodiak loaded up with camp gear or Elk, I have a hard time keep it up-right on those hard rocky side hills. I have been very conserned about blowing out a TIRE. It seems like a get a great deal of side wall compression. I also have problems with tire pressure as I go from 5000 ft elev. to 9500 ft elev and back. I need to say that I have no problems on those side hill trails when I'm riding it with out weight, front or back "empty"

So I'm intereseted in finding tires that would be best suited for what I do. The Kodiak has the standard stock tires on it now.

Also would adjusting my shocks help with those side hill trails when I'm loaded down. They are at the factor settings.

Thanks!!

Old 03-07-2003, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

I don't really like Blackwaters because I ride in alot of mud, but they are alot thicker and stronger that OEM tires. I would suggest a set of 25X12.50X12 rear and 25X9.50X12 front. The wider rear tire will add an amazing amount of stability and hill climbing traction. If you do alot of sidehilling you could also go with a new set of wheels (offset wider that stock). You could also use a set of wheel spacers with the stock wheels but they tend to cost more than new wheels. It's pretty hard to slice up a Blackwater during normal riding like your talking about. You can also add the tire slime. It's supposed to seal the tire if you puncture it.

For the shock setting, I'm divided. In the soft setting the Kodiak will ride a little lower in its travel. The stiffer setting will hold the weight better but will probably raise the center of gravity a bit. Hope this helps.

Old 03-07-2003, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

The kodiak is way too narrow (i have one too) so give it a wider stance (wheels, or spacers) and i'd get the titain 589's with rim gaurd. (the tire is flush with the rim, so no more bent rims!!) And if you atre hauling anything out of the woods i'd stiffen up the suspension. I also have fender protecters (go from the rear rack to the floorboards-can put pegs on them for rear seat also) this helps when going over big rocks, the rocks hit the bars instead of the black part of the fenders.

Old 03-08-2003, 10:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info!, ATV riding is very new to me. I like the idea of WIDER tires and new offset wheels with rim guard. My front rims are dented now. I bought the Kodiak because I wanted an automatic with the best engin breaking capability. It has perform very well. There are a couple of very step and long sections of the trail that I ride with a lot of loose rocks. The Kodiak in low gear crawls right down and up the mountain. The trail is so step and so full of loose rocks, if you hit your brakes you will slide out of control (I tried it!!!). After riding it for 2 years in the Rocky Mountains I to feel it has a high center of gravity and a narrow stance.

Thanks !!!

Old 07-16-2003, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

I have a kodiak now. I to want to alter the stance. I was wondering if you had any suggestions on what wheels to use to achieve more stability.. thanks

Old 07-16-2003, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider

https://atvconnection.com/atvconnect...ginTime=102703