Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

St. Anthony update

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default St. Anthony update

Originally posted by: kodiakbob
Beginner...Tina, I don't know if I'd say that. You look like you were riding just fine to me.
Yeah, I like those markers too, going to Choke Cherry. It was worth the trip just to see that 400EX of yours "chug" up Choke Cherry. Not bad!.
I thought the sand was ideal for riding. Very predictable, even if it was hot. After riding in spring time, when it was rainy and cold, the sand can be dry and soft, then hard packed twenty feet later. Makes it hard to slide, climb, just about everything.
Egin Lakes campground was a little different than my usual spot near Sand Hills Resort. I kind of miss the freedom of just doing what I want, when ever I want. But it looks like we'll be camping at Egin more often, since Joanna got a taste of the big hills. Now she doesn't want to ride the small ones any more.
I agree!!! I would much rather ride in the heat than ride and cold ANY day!!! Im already missing the riding and I ve only been home for a day...LOL........Glad Joanna is having a good time on her new ride!!It was a pleasure meeting up with you two and I look forward to meeting up again in the near future to rdie with you both!!! Tina

Old 07-17-2003, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

TNTQuadjunkies, it was pretty hot when we went for the 4th of July - mid to upper 80's I guess. Maybe not as hot as you had it but we did the same thing. A long mornign ride and a long evening ride. The wind does pick up pretty good in the afternoon but it smoothes the sand out too. Sounds like you like the path I was trying to describe - straight down the middle following the markers pretty much. Also, if you check my site I talk about those "other dunes". I have a few pics and 1 video of a bike and 3 wheeler in a small bowl back there. We did a little exploring back there and got 4 miles or so from the Sand Hells "resort" before we ran out of sand. There are 3 fingers that you can take and none of them connect at the ends if that makes any sense. We didn't try all of the fingers but I would say you could get 6 or more miles from the "resort. If you go the Sand Hells "resort" and cross the road there you will see a sandy trail that goes up a little hill (all sand) then onn to those dunes. That is the best one to take. It has some rocky areas but if you take it easy your paddles will be fine. About 1/4 mile or so up from Sand Hells There is aparking lot on the East side of the road that has a trail that leads to the dunes - it is very rocky and not recommended. The pics for those dunes are Right Here - the first 5 pics on the page.

Bat, I hear the Ice Caves are pretty cool. Bring a coat though. 5 miles North of the Sand Hells "resort" and take a right where you see a sign that says "Ciovel Defense" or something like that. At the end of that road there's a big hole in the ground - just walk on in. Never been there - this was all told to me by the locals there.

Mike, Nice pics - as always, good job on the photo taking!!!

Old 07-17-2003, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: WyoDuner
.Mike, Nice pics - as always, good job on the photo taking!!!
You take a mean pic yourself!!

Old 07-17-2003, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

TNTQuadjunkies, it was pretty hot when we went for the 4th of July - mid to upper 80's I guess. Maybe not as hot as you had it but we did the same thing. A long mornign ride and a long evening ride. The wind does pick up pretty good in the afternoon but it smoothes the sand out too. Sounds like you like the path I was trying to describe - straight down the middle following the markers pretty much. Also, if you check my site I talk about those "other dunes". I have a few pics and 1 video of a bike and 3 wheeler in a small bowl back there. We did a little exploring back there and got 4 miles or so from the Sand Hells "resort" before we ran out of sand. There are 3 fingers that you can take and none of them connect at the ends if that makes any sense. We didn't try all of the fingers but I would say you could get 6 or more miles from the "resort. If you go the Sand Hells "resort" and cross the road there you will see a sandy trail that goes up a little hill (all sand) then onn to those dunes. That is the best one to take. It has some rocky areas but if you take it easy your paddles will be fine. About 1/4 mile or so up from Sand Hells There is aparking lot on the East side of the road that has a trail that leads to the dunes - it is very rocky and not recommended. The pics for those dunes are Right Here - the first 5 pics on the page.

Bat, I hear the Ice Caves are pretty cool. Bring a coat though. 5 miles North of the Sand Hells "resort" and take a right where you see a sign that says "Ciovel Defense" or something like that. At the end of that road there's a big hole in the ground - just walk on in. Never been there - this was all told to me by the locals there.

Mike, Nice pics - as always, good job on the photo taking!!!
Ice caves huh.Now that would make for some cool pics....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]....I saw your pics and I do remember crossing over some pretty rough rocks along the way to the resort too, but like you said, we went slow so it was no biggie ..So I see the dunes go for miles and miles headed towards St. Anthonys,is this ALL open for riding ? Or is it preserved area only? Thanks for the info on the trails Ill Def be checking it out next time I go up...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Tina

Old 07-17-2003, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Mike330R
.Mike, Nice pics - as always, good job on the photo taking!!!
You take a mean pic yourself!!
Wow!!!!!!!! I just went and looked at your pics..........NICE PICS MIKE!!!!!!!!!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] I wish they gave us more room on the site to put more pics in our profile.Id add a few more of some sand pics.... Tina

Old 07-17-2003, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

You have some good shots too.

I like #9 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-17-2003, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

You have some good shots too.

I like #9 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
LOL..Thanks....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I need to update some of them for more recent onse since my new mods,plastic and flattrack race. Whats it take to delete and add different ones?

Old 07-17-2003, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

Click on the "My Page" button at the top of the forums. Then click "Edit".

Check out the chat room if you have time.

Old 07-17-2003, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

Click on the "My Page" button at the top of the forums. Then click "Edit".

Check out the chat room if you have time.
We have a chat room here??? How do I find it? I had no idea.

Old 07-17-2003, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

I see you one of those people that never look at the front pagfe of ATV Connection? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Lots of good article there ;P

There is a link fron the front page or click here:
https://atvconnection.com/Community/Chat/atvchat.cfm

Or you can download this:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/dwn/atvchat.exe

And that will make it a ton easier to chat and follow along.

Quick Reply: St. Anthony update