Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

St. Anthony update

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default St. Anthony update

Those markers are helpful. They kind of run down the middle of the dunes and not all the way south where it is flat. I don't remember anything being too tough following that new marked way. The markers/path brings you out to DeadHorse Bowl. From there you are one hill away from Choke.

The BLM camp is looking good. It was about half open for the 4th weekend. It should have a lot of space when it is fully opened up. Too bad there's no place to camp in the trees anymore though.

Desert Oasis is coming along. Still all dirt but it has full hookups if you want that and I guess they're planting some trees and stuff. They need grass there to geep the dust down though. Desert Oasis has 3 different places to camp.

The Sand Hell "Resort" is the same as always. Grass, trees, nasty dirty bathrooms and showers and owners that are getting meaner and meaner every year.

Old 07-10-2003, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

Sand Hell Resort! On the floor laughing. They are some cranky ones aren't they? Ol Gene came running out and lectured my 9 year old for taking the wrong entrance from the sand and having to drive like 20 yards along the campers to get to our entrance. On the dirt road right along side the dunes!! And he was going walking speed. I mean he's just looking for stuff to bitch about. Man if anyone was ever in the wrong line of work, it's those two.

Old 07-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

I see its going to be hotter tahn a hornets nest this wk end!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I guess we will be doing some early and late rides and eat and drink tons of water around the gabebo during the hot parts of the day.....highs in the high 90's...

Old 07-13-2003, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider

Hey, I finally got some pics posted of the new BLM campground. Go here New BLM Campground Pics

Old 07-16-2003, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

Just got back and all I can say is .WOW!!!!!!!VERY HOTT!!!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] sand was VERY dry and had one day of hard wind but overall,the riding was very good we just headed up very early to beat the heat. BTW Wyodunerm, I made it out from all directions this year,but found it easier to ride behind THunder and cut across when almost to Choke and then ride along the center (following markers) the easiest and fastest riding for me and for all the beginners too.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Its a fast ride back!!!! Has anyone rode PAST Sand hills very far? Im curious to see what kind of dunes there are Waaayyy back in and if they are accessible off any roads ????? TIna

Old 07-16-2003, 01:01 AM
Range Rover

Beginner...Tina, I don't know if I'd say that. You look like you were riding just fine to me.
Yeah, I like those markers too, going to Choke Cherry. It was worth the trip just to see that 400EX of yours "chug" up Choke Cherry. Not bad!.
I thought the sand was ideal for riding. Very predictable, even if it was hot. After riding in spring time, when it was rainy and cold, the sand can be dry and soft, then hard packed twenty feet later. Makes it hard to slide, climb, just about everything.
Egin Lakes campground was a little different than my usual spot near Sand Hills Resort. I kind of miss the freedom of just doing what I want, when ever I want. But it looks like we'll be camping at Egin more often, since Joanna got a taste of the big hills. Now she doesn't want to ride the small ones any more.

Old 07-16-2003, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

I will be heading back up for a week. We will be at the desert oasis again, I like the full hookup sites over there. Should be fun, going up next tuesday.

What are some good day trips, I was thinking a trip over to yellowstone for the day. With the new baby we need some little trips to break things up a bit.

Thanks
Bat

Old 07-16-2003, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

Bat- Yellowstone is worth the day trip. We did it and came back through the Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole. Makes for a good day trip.

I uplaoded our pic's last night from our trip and will upload Yellowstone pic's soon.

www.sandbros.com

I'm ready to go back!

Old 07-16-2003, 03:18 AM
Pro Rider

we will be going to st. A's for our first time july 24th or 25th till the 28th. I dont think we will be hauling our weekend warrior, just and enclosed snowmobile trailer(just an empty box pretty much) and sleeping on cots. Does egin lakes have running water? We will probably just sleep in our trailer for the first few nights then stay in a hotel the night before we leave. Anybody else going to be there? It looks like you will be there Battouttahell? Sean

Old 07-16-2003, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

I will be there, camped at desert oasis. I am not one to show you around however, I have only been twice and they were a year apart. There is a marked path, marked with brown plastic markers that will take you out into the big dunes pretty far, you can also follow that all the way up to the sandhills resort.

I dont think there is any running water at egin lakes. It is just a dry camp gravel parking lot. Check out dunereview.com, Wyo has alot of good info on his site, and he has gps coordinates also. I am going to put them in my gps this time and make my way a bit farther out then I have before.

I dont know what days yet, but we will be gone a couple of days just checking out other things. It is our family vacation this year, and with the baby we need other things to do.

Oh, dunereview also has pics of the blm/egin camping area. Probably wont be too busy, although the campgrounds are full, well you could dry camp at oasis, but they dont have much either.

Bat

Quick Reply: St. Anthony update