Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

St. Anthony update

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 04:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default St. Anthony update

The Egin Lakes campground is now open. Looked like they were doing a good job of trying to accomodate everyone who needed a place to camp - even put some folks in the day use area, but were quick to point out that this would only occur on the 4th and never again. Plan on making a donation if you want things to improve. The Ranger at Egin - The BIG Ranger - says that all funds donated and all matching funds that come from the Govt. have to stay at that site - GOOD NEWS!

BTW, they have indeed put up directional signs out to Chokecherry. This is supposed to be an easier route for smaller machines and the dinosaur 4X4 atv's but the faster machines will have a great time running the highlines like a rollercoaster. I saw some scramblers with knobbies that had followed the route and were sitting atop Choke watching the hill climbs. The route is up in the big dunes. Lots of folks think the smaller dunes are easier to run, but they ain't. Ask a Ranger to explain why - something about slipfaces and moving sand.

They are aware of the problems with Glamis and Sand Mt. Nevada. Plan on having a Ranger or Law enforcement talk to you about traveling on any trails through ANY vegetated areas. As they put it " if you have vegetation on your left and right, you better get back on the open sand." Good advise I've adopted as well to save these dunes from the legal crap pushed on ATv'ers by the tree huggers. We don't want these awesome dunes locked up like other dunes have been.

I talk with the BLM Dune Rangers regularly. Take them serious, ask questions if you don't understand or need an explanation, and try to know the rules before you ride, and they won't give you any problem. Those guys are working to keep this place open too, so help them out.

Old 07-08-2003, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

So they say the easy way out is going over the big stuff if you want to make it out to choke????I tried that last year on my 300ex and made it 3-4 of the way and had to turn back.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]..........I was told the easy way out was the path along the back side of THunder Mnt.(the steep side) is this true? We will have a few green riders this trip and dont want to have anyone feeling pushed into anything they are not ready for.I tired to ride the center of the dunes last year all the wya to choke,and tried to ride it out all the way left of the dunes also with no luck. I have a 400ex this year so it will make things a bit easier ,but we have smaller quads in our group also.Thanks for the update and Ill be one to donate to the campground, and Im not even camping!!! But Im all for any thing but the resort, maybe this will give those mean campground owners a run for there $$$ now having a little competetion in the neighborhood............lol....... TIna

Old 07-08-2003, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

Tina, the easy way out to the big dunes is on the left (south side) and that's where the markers are. You will notice it's like a highway and easy to follow most of the way there. When you get closer to Choke Cherry it's best to cut across to the north thru the easiest line you can find otherwise you have a couple of big huge dunes to get across if you were all the way left at the end, can intimidate lesser experienced riders. (I think the guy meant the small dunes towards the east can be trickier than the big 'uns.) But my 9 year old made it out to Devils Dune on his stock Blaster going that way. Of course he melted his engine on Devil's and I had to tow him out but I suspect radical driver error on that one [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] BTW, this forum serves a great purpose allowing us to be in contact on these matters. Let's all spread the word on things like no vegetation trampling and beefing the donation box, to each other here and to others at the dunes, a little extra effort goes a long ways towards keeping our playgrounds open for us and those who follow. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-08-2003, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] This is what we done the first time, and I made it almostall the way I culd see part of choke but the dunes just go too big for my liking so maybe I wont be making it out after all...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] who knows. but I do know none of the other girls Ill be ridng with will even attempt it, Im one of the braver out of the bunch.lol.... I agree with you ........keep to the dunes ................There is sooooooooo much sand to ride on there is simply no excuse to ride where you shouldnt be if in doubt...ASK!

Old 07-08-2003, 02:00 PM
Range Rover

Let me know when you are up if you want a quick quided tour on how to get there from the North side. You can get your atv on the south side of Choke if you go the right way.

Old 07-08-2003, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks! Ill be headed up to Choke for Sure on Sun. I knlw alot of the new riders going will want to get aquinted on the sand on Sat. so we will prol play alot arounf Thunder andthe Lake area.Maybe head out to Choke later on Sat... Tina

Old 07-08-2003, 02:27 PM
Range Rover

Remember the Lake area/Thunder Mountain is where most of the accidents happen so be careful. Call me at 709-5025 If you want us to meet up with you and show you some trails. I am sure we will be out there anyway. Some of the best riding is west and south of Choke.

Old 07-08-2003, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds good to me.. what will you be dirinvg so I know what rig to look for?LOL. we have a huge group so I am gonna have a heck of a time looking for everyone so if you see us PLEASE run us down(well not literally.lol) Quads to qwatch for in our group will be.... 5-400ex, two yelloow, two read and one silver maier plastic
1-300ex silver maier plastic
2-Banshees
2-3 Raptors(white and grey-black)
1-250R
2-Predators
1-YFZ450
1-YZ250
1-YZ125
1-Wolverine
1-Scrambler
I know Im missing some other dirt bikes to but this gives you an Idea what to look for if you see us.What do you ride so I can spot you up there?

Old 07-08-2003, 05:22 PM
Range Rover

Red Ford F150 SuperCrew pulling a black open trailer.

Old 07-09-2003, 03:00 AM
Pro Rider

Ill keep my eyes open for ya.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Tina ........

Quick Reply: St. Anthony update