Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Little Sahara, UT Trip....NEED INFO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 06:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little Sahara, UT Trip....NEED INFO!!!

We are planning our summer trip and we all want to try the riding out at Little Sahara, UT. So any info from all you that have been there would be great. We're coming from the Portland, OR area and would also like to see a Rock Crawling comp. while we're over there, but didn't have any luck searching online today for dates of any upcoming events, so if anyone knows where I could look for those that would be great too. What's the camping like there. We have a 33ft. Tahoe 5th wheel is there any parks with hook-ups or is it all dry sand camping? What are the dunes like and is Sand Mt. comparable to St. Anthoney in steepness? Hope to get lots of info from all of you that have been there!

Old 12-09-2003, 06:51 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

They have dry camping, but they do have a pump out at the facility. There are basically 3 spots to camp.1st The mountain, best riding, access to the BIG BOWLS out back is close, right at the base of a HUGE HILL. No sound restrictions, no quiet time, no shade. 2nd Oasis, trees, shade, 15 min ride form the mountian, quiet time at 1000pm to 700am. My recommendation if you dont; want to lisen to engine noise all night. 3rd White sands. 30 min ride to the mountian, quiet, trees, quiet time. smaller bowls, my least favorite.
I always go to the Mountain if I am not spending the night, usually I spend the night there, but if we are feeling a little mello, Oasis.
You know Choke Cherry hill? Well our big hill has two sides, one that is similar to Choke, and the other is alot longer, but not as steep. On the baskside of sand mountian, there are the best bowls around. There is about 8 or 9 ina row, that you can click 5th and pin it for about 15 mins, the best roller coaster in the world.
Definetly come out, keep in touch, I will gladly come down (1.5 hrs) and show you the hot spots!
Sorry , not sure about the rock crawling, there is a company called Factory Tubular, that is a Utah comp. that might get you some info.

Old 12-10-2003, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

Moab has the Jeep Safari on Easter weekend. That is also the biggest weekend at LS, Utah when all the heavy artillary comes out. Click my "Dune Quads" icon for lots of pics of LS, Utah. I would recommend Oasis as it's in the middle of the dunes. The smaller dunes are one way and the bigger dunes are the other way. Much like parking at the BLM campground at SA as far as relation to dune areas. Oasis has lots or running water and nicer bathrooms then the Sand Mtn area.. Sand Mtn area is a zoo on Easter or Memorial Day..

Old 12-10-2003, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know when your planning, but the usual holidays are busy(Easter is the big weekend). The local big dogs are out that weekend so if you come out check out crankenstein. I wouldn't camp at the mtn. unless the scream of banshee at 3 am is something you enjoy. Sand Mtn, especiall the left side is the bomb. I was out there last weekend, the whoops onthe right side are getting deeper. The back side is a blast! On the busy weekends you still won't have too many people out there.d Let some of us know when your gonna be out and maybe a bunch of us will ride down and show you around our jewel. Overall, ST A is has the bigger dunes and bowls, but not that much better. COme during the summer and you can see Utahs new state animal, the monster mormon cricket!! Any thing else you need to know let us help you!

Old 12-11-2003, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

In the summer you might consider staying at sand mountain till your ready for sleep then driving 3-4 miles to oasis, then coming back in the morning. You can drive your quad from oasis to sand mountain, but you will burn a gallon of gas each way.

But in the winter it gets dang cold at night so you could just stay at the mountain and it would be quiet. Anybody out past 6pm is freezing thier tush off.

The times in summer I slept at sand mountain it didn't quiet down till 3:30 AM And some people seem to be trying thier hardest to make as much noise as possible. But at least wou will get to drive through the gasoline fire lines they always light on the mountain at night. Make sure your gas tank is not leaking lol. I've seen a couple quads catch fire.

Old 12-11-2003, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

Green700> last time we were @ Oasis, I had just got back from the mountain, parked the quad and was doing something near the center of camp - it was dark by then. All of a sudden I heard someone calling out very loudly for someone else and then they yelled again. I knew instantly a little child was lost. I grabbed my lantern and just bulldozed in the direction of the callers. Told the others @ camp to gather our own kids and stay there.

With every other step I took another voice was added to the calling. All I could think about was it was cold, getting late and some little kid was lost in the bush - and you know what the bushes are like @ Oasis.

Scared the hell out of me! They found him a short time later and all was fine.

Old 12-12-2003, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: green700
. But at least wou will get to drive through the gasoline fire lines they always light on the mountain at night. Make sure your gas tank is not leaking lol. I've seen a couple quads catch fire.

This past summer my buddy rode through the fire line doing a wheelie on his DS. He decided to try to be cool and stand it up more when it flipped over on him right in the middle of the line. Yeah then gas started to leak out of the overflow tube. He just flipped the bike back over and ghost rode it down sand mountain to extinguish the fire. It was really funny for me to see it, especially because I was like 4 feet from him when he did it.

Chris

Old 12-13-2003, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Hey Z400Chick
We're planning our family trip to Utah now too. We'll just be coming a whole lot farther! Hope to be at LS the second full week in June. Then maybe around Bryce and moab? maybe.
Great camping adivce Utah riders, Thanks!
How Hot is LS and the southern portion of the state in June?

AND, what are your 3-4 favorite trail ride areas in the state?

Old 12-13-2003, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ryanstones
How Hot is LS and the southern portion of the state in June?
Hot/warm, but bone dry in comparision to Florida - you'll love it. I'm a native Floridian (Merritt Island) and although I like humidity and bugs, etc. I also like this dry climate.

What are your 3-4 favorite trail ride areas in the state?
I only ride trails really local to me and one's that won't/shouldn't be on your list. I know there's a trail(s) called Piute (or something similar) that attracts tons of folks. I'm sure someone on this board has been there.

Old 12-13-2003, 06:10 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here i a link with some great pics of little sahara ut. It is an awesome place to ride. Im sure you would have a great time
http://www.dunereview.com/littlesahara.htm
When we take the whole family we usually always stay at the oasis. Good place for the kids to ride and not so busy. But we usually take a daily trip to Sand Mountain to ride and watch the races.