Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Need Dune riding Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Dune riding Advice

regardless of what gear or speed, you HAVE to keep the motor running so don't kill it cuz then it is dead weight and you ain't stoping going down hill in the sand. First time out I hit a dune, zip up it, then learn about what a razorback is, flew that puppy, scared me to death!!!!

Old 01-24-2004, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

Why shouldn't you hold the clutch in I do it sometimes and have no problem but I'am not the greatest rider out there so please enlighten me on how this is not a good Idea.

Old 01-25-2004, 01:46 AM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never crest a dune going straight or with too much speed. its the most common mistake i see in rookies.

dont lock up the brakes going down a face or you could begin to slide sidewards and be thrown to the bottom with your machine using you to break its fall. good luck.

Old 01-25-2004, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

sandrider503-Holding your clutch in while going down a hill in itself is not the problem its what can happen if you are in too low of a gear for your speed on a downhill and you let the clutch out to try and slow you down,not a good way to try and stop.You should rely on proper gear selection and engine compression for your descent because you will be in control much better than just holding the clutch in and using the brakes.If you hold the clutch in and rely on brakes only on a steep downhill you could find the quads rear end hopping back and forth which is not a good practice either.Properly going down an (extreme) grade can be a real challenge and generally is harder and requires more skill than just gassing it and going up hill and anyone who has done any extreme hillclimbing in the past can back me up on that.I suppose my answer got a little long but you should learn to use your compression to your advantage because on a downhill it can be very useful and much more safe.

Old 01-25-2004, 02:30 AM
Pro Rider

Hey buddy thanks what you said makes sense I do make sure to be in control of the quad and I usually pull my clutch in after cresting the hill on my decsend and shift lean back and baby stuff so I know what you are talking about and appreciate the advice thanks.

Old 01-25-2004, 02:43 AM
Pro Rider

Old 01-25-2004, 04:19 PM
Range Rover

Using just a tiny bit of braking on the front(One finger pull is all you need) will keep the rear end from sliding all over the place. This is how street racers are able to keep the rear from siding out from under them on when braking into and on corners. Try skidding the rear tire on flat area with no front brake and watch how the rear end moves around. Then try same thing with just slight one finger pull on front brake and see how quad will stay in staight line. Light pull on front brakes works even when using engine to slow decent on dune and since your using little or no rear brake the engine won't stall out.I only use one finger for all braking that I do even if I'ts a panic stop to miss another quad. Hope this helps.

Old 01-28-2004, 08:26 AM
Pro Rider

Im agree with wteceraserman

I ride some very steep dunes ie. upto 60 degrees. I use my front brakes for control. As soon as your rear wheels lock, you have no control and end up in a slide. I find very light, one finger braking does the trick for me. It is also best to go with the natural momentum of the bike. Most people overbreak getting themselves into trouble. Sometimes I even have to decend with my clutch pulled in as the engine deccellerates too quickly.

To summarise..... combination of front brakes and engine is most effective for me!

Old 01-29-2004, 01:51 AM
Trailblazer

1stwarrior
All you have to do is ride up at a angle rounding off the top of the dune and transfer into the next bowl at a angle.... if you go directly up one dune and down the opposite side your going to end up in trouble weather its a razor back or a hole or flipped over because you hit your front break in a panic. I have seen this several times. Always transfer at angles into the next bowl. Always keep on the gas I would say first gear is to low minimal second to keep your tires locked in giving you as much traction as possible. We ride glamis several times each year use these tips and you will have a blast. Always try to learn with a GOOD leader who knows how to ride and transfer

Old 01-29-2004, 01:55 AM
Trailblazer

Also if you DON’T keep on your gas you’re going to have LESS control in the sand. Get use to sliding your rear wheels out with gas while pushing your bike and turning. I never neutral through a dune i push hard when i transfer in to a new bowl to keep my traction. Low gas = fall down hill and fight to keep bike straight...more gas = keep bike pointed where you want to go [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] my 2 cents