Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

silver lake

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004 | 11:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default silver lake

I didn"t notice anything different but I only drove by the parking area and didn't pay much attention, walked up at a different spot.

Old 03-30-2004 | 12:16 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Default silver lake

Can anyone give me the specifics, that is, the day rates for the park, camping costs versus area hotels, and what db limit they are enforcing? I was planning to make the drive from MN with my son, now that he has his ATV certification, he has a Supertrapp IDS, but we can tune that down if needed. It is about a 15 hr drive, so I would like to know what to expect in the way of fees and regulations. I was there in September of 1995 with some friends, the only law was the flags hitting the pole at the gate, and a 5 buck a day sticker. I'm sure it has changed a lot since then, I was thinking of mid June during the week to miss the big weekend crowds so my son can get more room to ride.
Thanks for any information, I really enjoyed my last time there,looking forward to seeing it again. (and I already checked on the ferry,325 bucks round trip is more than it would cost in gas and hotel to go there,so I'm driving !!! )

Old 03-30-2004 | 04:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default silver lake

here are the prices for this year

State Park Motor Vehicle Permits

A new Motor Vehicle Permit (MVP) program has been introduced statewide in Michigan 2004. All fees have increased this year for residents as well as non-residents. Residency will be based on the motor vehicle license plate and fees for unlicensed vehicles (many ORVs) will be based on the vehicle's plate that brings them into the State Park. Fees for 2004:

Daily Annual: $24.00

Resident Daily: $ 6.00

Non-Resident Annual $29.00

Non-Resident Daily: $ 8.00

Annual Off-Road Registration: $16.25

You will need a daily non resident and a off-road for each vehicle going on the dunes if you are going to park in the lot your tow vehicle will also need a daily. The off-Road or ORV is good for all year. Looks like it will cost you $56.50 for the first day and $24 each day after.

check out www.silverlakesanddunes.net for camping or motel info

Old 03-31-2004 | 07:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default silver lake

Check this MI DNR >WEBSITE< for the latest 2004 dune info.
The sound level permitted is 94 dB(A). Most of the time during the off season I've never been checked. During the season (roughly June to September) the check is usually perfomed by an intern or summer temp with little or no sound check experience. It's done with a line of people behind you with motors running and an occasional idiot revving his motor because sitting in one place for longer than 10 seconds bores him/her.
Bottom line, have your sound issues worked out before getting there and give yourself a little breathing room. Sound levels are dependent on wind direction/velocity, air temperature/humidity, ambient noise levels, and the experience of the person running the check. There are a lot of variables and if they bounce you your only choice, short of going home, is David Allen Racing where they're ususally out of the system that will get you in, the FMF Q Series. If they do have it the price is WAY higher than anybody else's and it's service with a smirk. David Allen Racing does have the best dune flags though. I've seen people turned away because the shaft was too small and flexible and wouldn't maintain the required height while the machine was moving. That was in October with winds off the lake blowing about 35 mph sustained. It took less than half an hour for the ruts/tracks to be blown out of the sand so you were always riding on glass smooth sand. The night before the winds reached 60 mph so there were some wicked dropoffs/cliffs. You would creep over the edge into a 45' straight drop, rocket the bowl, then race up the other side where the last 25' was straight up. Chop the gas just before the lip and lean over the bars to pull the nose down.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Sorry, just reliving the magic[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-01-2004 | 03:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default silver lake

Hello, Do they check every quad for a spark arester? We are going 4/3 and my brother inlaw doesn't have a spark arester on his Banshee

Thanks

Old 04-01-2004 | 04:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default silver lake

yes, spark arrestors are one thing i dont think i have EVER seen them NOT check... (only because it takes two seconds...they just push a rod up your exhaust)

Old 04-01-2004 | 04:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default silver lake

Also they dont let home made spark arrestors pass.

Old 04-01-2004 | 07:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default silver lake

Well I don't know if I am going to make it now[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] BEAR MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS fu*ked up my order. I need a seal for my clutch, ordered it last week, I told them HOW important it was for me to have it by mid week...I called yesterday, they didn't know if it was in or not..I SAID DO WHATEVER YOU HAVE TO DO TO GET IT HERE BY FRIDAY !!!! so I call after work today at 4 , it was not there, and said it is to late to get a next day air shipment out!!they said soon as they can get it would be SAT !!! Which would put me up at silver lake roughly at 3:30 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

IF any of you DS guys ( or anybody that is close to a dealer) that are going to Silver LAke Sat could you PLEASE call your dealer (if you are close) and see if they have part # 420250992 this is a clutch seal. And bring it, and I will Pay you !

I will be very thankful [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

PM me if you have any luck,,
Thanks
Wayne

Old 04-01-2004 | 10:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default silver lake

well iam heading out at 6:00 am. be there at noon on friday. well i am pupmed up there will be eight of us if ya want to ride i will be in grey F-350 crew cab lifted with long trailer on back with lava red vforce. cant miss the combo plus there will be 7 othre quads around.cant wait till tomorow. witti ya comin? if so find me or vice vresa. later

Old 04-02-2004 | 03:43 PM
Range Rover
Default silver lake

Did you check with davidallenracing up there at silver lake? They have a good selection of parts on hand.

Quick Reply: silver lake