Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Need a flag

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a flag

I need to put a flag on the Raptor for my dune trip. What do I need to look for. How long, what kind of base. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-20-2004, 10:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Need a flag

all that u need to do is go to your local dealer and ask them if they have flags. all flags will be about the same size and the raptor's stock grab bar has a mount for the flag. most flags will have a thread and two bolts to tighten. If your local dealer doesnt have a flag then just wait until you go down to the dunes then all the rental places will have them. by the way they should be around ten bucks

Old 03-20-2004, 05:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a flag

Just wait till you get to the dunes you plan on riding to buy the flag. Most dunes require a certain height or flag color or shape. The local shop at the dunes will have hundreds of these in stock, and usually for only about 25 bucks a piece.

Old 03-20-2004, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need a flag

I highly recommend you go with a steel rod & flag. It costs more, but it'll last forever (the rod, that is) and you can easily replace the flag once it wears out. Believe me, it sucks to be out in the middle of nowhere on the sand when you realize your plastic flag pole broke in half somewhere two miles back![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-20-2004, 09:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a flag

My pole is fiberglass, stronger than plastic and more flexible and forgiving than steel. All 3 of mine have held up great for the last few years.

Old 03-20-2004, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need a flag

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll get a cheap one to take with me then see what they have or require when I get to the different spots. Somewhere I think I have an 8 foot fiberglass whip antenna for a CB. That would probably work great if I could find it.

Old 03-21-2004, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default Need a flag

I would look for the figerglass on-piece whips with the spring built in at the base of the whip... They will stand up to roll-overs and just about everything else you can dish out...you will be better off buying on from the dunes.. A little more cash but it will be worth it... Speacially after you buy a cheapy two piece and it falls apart and you look back and you only have half a whip.. Then you have to shell out more dough for a new one....Steel sucks espeacially in a roll-over...Try to find a one-piece with a spring at the base.. Thats the best buy...

Old 03-21-2004, 02:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default Need a flag

Starky-I use a (POP-IT)flag and mount and i would recommend that you try to find a dealer who carries them in your area.The pop it flag system consists of a mount that has a female connection that snaps into a male connection so that if you have a get off the flag will pop out of the mount and then you can simply snap it back into place.I have been using the pop its for years and they hold up very well and they work as advertised.I have always stayed away from a steel flag mount like a car antenna or something similar because although it may be a remote chance there is a chance that in a accident it could snap off and become a skewer that could impail you if your quad rolled on you during a roll over.The possible danger of the steel flag mount is something to consider.

Old 03-21-2004, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need a flag

Getting stabbed by my flag, that's something i didn't think about. I was going to ask if anybody had tried the pop-it mount. I saw them in Dennis Kirk and thought they looked pretty good. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-22-2004, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider
Default Need a flag

I put pop-its on my kids' Blasters, and they have survived rollovers, enough to pay the extra cost for them. I think I spent 29 bucks, whereas our cheapie two piece ones are ten or twelve.