Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Do I really need paddles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 04:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I really need paddles?

If you realy dont want to spash out your dough on paddles you will have to run your rear tires at as low a pressure as you can around 2 - 2.5 psi
depending on the weight of rider and machine of course. (you dont want to pull them of the rim )

I run nobbies a lot in sand due to the weather being a little on the damp side for a lot of the year here.

And just adjust the pressure to suit the conditions, but if it does get real dry the sandstars help a lot.
either way im sure you will enjoy yourself.

Old 06-21-2004, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer

ive got a set of GBC Dirt Devils on my Banshee, anyone run those on sand before? they seam as that they would rock in the sand, they definately kick but in the mud. squirrely on grass though. im headed to Long Island in a few weeks for a few months and was kickin around getting some paddles for all the sand down there. but if the Dirt Devils do good i ll save my money for other mods.

thanks in advance for the info.

Old 06-21-2004, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

Paddles are a must for people who don't ride dunes on a regular basis or on a lower hp machine like a Warrior or 300ex.. Dunes are about momentum, judgement and experience.. If you have all three of these you will conquer all but the tallest, steepest dunes.

Old 06-21-2004, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bansheeesmoker
Ive rode with one guy in glamis. he was on a banshee with stock knobbies. he had absolutly know problem with any hill. but he was a very very good rider. on a 4-stroke I would reconmend paddles because of the rpm range.
Not to be to harsh, but glamis IS NOT st. anthonys. Most of St. A's is bigger than anything at glamis. Choke cherry is nuts, and so is devils. You will not enjoy this place without paddles even with experience, momentum, and judgement.

Predkicksa$$ has them on his ride and I'm betting that no one has more St. A experience. Don't buy the lie that you will do just as well, you won't. You want to argue V or straight, that is legitimate, knobbies or paddles, isn't!!

Old 06-28-2004, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

dont know why everyone says you need them b/c you dont. they help, but youll do just fine with stock tires. maybe you need paddles for the biggest, baddest hills, but not for everything.

they do really help at the sand drags tho. dont drag race without paddles.

Old 06-28-2004, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

what about silver lake?? hows the sand there??

Old 06-28-2004, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

4 st. a's i would definetly recomend paddles. u wont go neware without paddles.

Old 06-29-2004, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DC504
dont know why everyone says you need them b/c you dont. they help, but youll do just fine with stock tires. maybe you need paddles for the biggest, baddest hills, but not for everything.

they do really help at the sand drags tho. dont drag race without paddles.
You can get around with knobbies utilizing SandGod's knowledge of momentum, judgement and experience.. but there's more fun to be had with paddles.
(Much more fun to be roosting everywhere than to calculate your approach, be constantly hauling butt just to be able to make it out to chokecherry)

Old 06-29-2004, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

ya, st.anthony's has some big dunes and it would be kinda hard to get around without paddles.

Old 06-30-2004, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: lapeerbanshee
what about silver lake?? hows the sand there??
I believe Silver lake is one of the Smallest ORV dune areas (Small hills too)
You can get around just fine @ Silver Lake with out paddles unless you are on a low powered machine like a 250EX or a old 4x4 utility, and then you can still get around pretty well. Just not Test hill on some days (the dunes change everyday)

Quick Reply: Do I really need paddles?