Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

St Anthony Labor Day Recap

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default St Anthony Labor Day Recap

We got back from the monster dunes last night, probably our (sadly) last trip for the season. Went down on Thursday, got there in time for one good ride before dark. The sand was perfect, dry and smooth everywhere, wet base a few inches down. You could just friggin peg it and roll out through the big ones, up and down as you headed toward the back. Those who have been there know what I mean.

The BLM camp filled up quickly on Friday, and many folks we know were showing up. Norm was there with the 910 Polaris Frankenstein and his YFZ (nitrous), along with some of his buddies including OutlawLawnDragster, who is a gentle giant and I want him on my side when things go bad [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] real nice to meet you Troy!

One morning I think it was Saturday, a bunch of us were out at Choke Cherry and the racing began. There were many YFZ's which is now common, Raptors and Banshees, and some Z400's. Norm had the fastest YFZ, which totes an HMF pipe, ESR air box eliminator, and a Boondocker nitrous system which he helped them develop. Nobody was close, but no other YFZ was on the juice. There was a fast black YFZ which would beat mine by a few lengths, and got out of the hole really quick. I don't have the straight paddle haulers though, running Sandstars which probably costs me some.

Couple of neat Raptors there. The kid from Billings with an '01 686 was there, he murdered me on my LT250 (big surprise) at Crapo a couple years ago. He now has white plastic and it looks great. Hotcam stage 2, piston, stock rod, bigger intake valves but real mild porting. He was right with the black YFZ and his front was real light on the last 1/3 of the hill.

One of Norm's buddies crap I can't think of his name (Jade?) a tall blond guy, real nice kid, has a black Raptor that Norm did a head porting on. Stock cam, multi angle valve job, 10.5 piston but more like stock compression due to combustion chamber unshrouding, pipe and that's about it. That thing was as fast as my YFZ, possibly faster. I rode it up Choke and was WAY impressed, it was a beast!!! My Raptor head is heading for Norm this winter. They previously tried the hotcams and found not much improvement but the power band was moved higher in the rev range was all.

There was a yellow and black Z400 there too. This guy was running with the fast YFZ's, and I raced him about 4 or 5 times and he beat me like a rented mule. He finally shut down and I said "Okay, spill the beans" and he said Oh not much, a 440 kit, cams, head porting by (someone in Salt Lake area), etc. That thing just RIPPED and I was ready to buy it for my kid ( I don't think he was interested in a LT250 part trade [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]).

So the Choke Cherry race session was quite fun, I do enjoy the confused look people get when my son pulls the hill on his Blaster too.

When we weren't at the hill, Norm took Big Black out and set a personal record of 74MPH up the hill. I think his previous best was 71 or 72. On 300 feet of vertical rise including your shutdown area, it is almost unimaginable.

Saw the helicopter looking around for a landing zone once but he never set it down. Don't know if there were any bad injuries.

A few jerks in the BLM camp were up all night, revving their obnoxious Rotax buggies at midnight and hollering, then ripping around on 4 stroke quads just being rude until 5 AM. They were a ways down from us and I was waiting to hear gunshots.

A guy from Idaho Falls was there, his kid about 11 runs around on a white YFZ with a NOS bottle on the front, we race all the time at Crapo. The dad has a mini buggy with a Hayabusa engine, turbo'd with 13 pounds of boost. It is totally sick fast and a hoot to watch.

Tyler worked real hard at breaking the 40 foot barrier jumping the Quadracer. He hit 39 feet a whole bunch of times but never officially went 40 by my walking it off (I have checked myself a lot and I am very accurate). Ajay was getting about 30 feet on the Blaster and is really into getting the distance. He is developing very good body english on the Blaster and is turning into quite a rider, really progressed this year. I got a neat picture of both of them jumping together and it's on my page now.

Mrs Shady pulled Choke easily this time on her Raptor. Good sand. She's still getting ported though, and a piston too.

Well that's about it, sorry this was so long but a lot went on, we burned about 50 gallons of fuel and came back tired and happy.

Shady

Old 09-07-2004, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider

Missed ya Sunday shady was a great day!! Norm had a bad day to his yfz cracked a piston in two so he was down on that rest of trip!! His big one runs awesome that thing hauls ***!! Life flight was there twice sunday and the ambulance at least 4 times!! Suck you are not coming down again!! Well maybe next spring we can hook up!!!

Old 09-07-2004, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah we were looking down the spark plug hole back at camp and could see Norm's cracked piston. Never know, I may end up sneaking down for one more quick trip!

Old 09-07-2004, 12:54 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

Sounds like a blast. I had a pretty good time in Utah as well. Crazy people, and crazy toys everywhere.
Thansk for sharing Steve.

Old 09-09-2004, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

Heck ya it was a great weekend !!
Hey Pred did I meet you and not know it? I was parked next to Norm until monday morning .
Probly saw you and didnt know it .
Got to meet Shady and family Great Guy!
Ya I was right behind Norm when the smoke started . Jade and I had to try and get in front of him . Shaggy was out in front so we had to like double time to stop Norm . He almost had a 2 piece piston , cracked across the top 1 side across the bottom to one side top of the pin truss was still solid but that was about it. But he did get to ride the crap out of the Hotrod . Broke his old record of 72 mph with a 74 and maybe a 75 on Monday morning . I left early .
Dr.Mark was bringing out his Hayabusa DS to run against norms Hotrod monday . Havent heard how that went. Got to meet DADDOG and the Dog brothers on there 480 and 508 YFZ's Nice machines
Seem like pretty nice guys and very sharp on the YFZ . Nice to see 200 or 300 on choke cherry ridge and few accidents . Last I heard was 6 injurys sunday.
Got to ride on the east side of the road . Sand is sparse but there is some pretty big dunes and there smoooooooooth.
Well the WORCS race is here in town in 2 weeks so I'll be there should be a good turn out .
Hope to see you all again soon.
I'll post some pics as soon as I get them

Old 09-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Outlaw, where were those Daddog big bore YFZ's? Were they around when I was out there? That black one was pretty fast, I am thinkin he might have been one of them.

Old 09-10-2004, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

No the black one is Casey's he rides with us . thats stock bore and esr intake , power now , HMF slip on . It just run way better for some reason . Were looking into the timing and valve lash .
The Og's were riding White YFZ's with blue frames and blue lights . They had the 25x12x9 13 paddle rear . Same as Norms Hotrod . I radared the 508 at 42 up choke . Nice machines

Old 09-10-2004, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

i was there sunday night and all of monday. i broke down at the end of the day and had a grizz tow me back to the blm campground. did any body see a black and red banshee, 2 all black banshees(one with paddles) and a quadsport that was orange with holeshots that tried to climb thunder many times.

Old 09-10-2004, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah that one of Caseys even though better equipped than mine still shot out of the hole really hard, and kept pulling good up the hill. I shoulda put Shady Jr on mine and had 'em line up see what would happen. Dang that was fun wish I could go back down right now.

Old 09-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

What gear will a yfz with stock bore with slip on exhaust and airbox mod and jetted with skat trak haulers climb choke cherry? I am from canada and have been to St Anthony 9 times so far,the first time I had a wolverine but that changed after I went to the dunes. I am debating whether to sell my 250r and atc 250r for a 450 yfz thanks for all replies.

Quick Reply: St Anthony Labor Day Recap