Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

GLamis Sand HWY???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 04:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GLamis Sand HWY???

I was out at glamis last weekend great time. Was wanting to know if anyone has ever done gecko road to butter cup and how was the ride and was it fun been thinking of doing it and about homw many miles..........wishing all safe rides this holiday dune season..

Old 11-19-2004, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

Last year, I went on a ride from Roadrunner Campground all the way to the Mexican border, then to Pair-A-Dice for lunch, rode around Gordon's Well for a while, and then back to Roadrunner. It was very fun, but very long (12+ miles each way). The sand highway between Roadrunner and Gordon's well is pretty flat (slightly wooped out) and straight. You can really get moving. I don't think that there is anywhere to buy gas at Gordon's Well (I think Pair A Dice sell some race gas, but it is VERY expensive), so you will need to make some provision for extra gas. It is worth the effort!

Old 11-19-2004, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

It's not a bad adventure...
However, it's longer than 12 miles. From Gordon's well... to the end of the canal at GLamis at the 78, it's 26 miles...!! GPS doesn't lie. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

You can buy gas at Algodones (Mexico)... however, you'd have to cross the border. Not a big deal... plus it's just wierd to be able to ride on the streets anywhere you want in Meheecoe! I've got buddies camping IN the well, meaning, in Gordon's Well campground. They'd sell you gas. If you really want, PM me and I'll give you the scoop.

Enjoy the ride... it's smooth. However whatch for little dunes the drop off on sand highway. Sometimes they'll catch ya, especially since you're hauling butt and not paying too much attention. Paddles work the entire way.

Old 11-20-2004, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider

Be careful though! I dislocated my shoulder on sand highway

Yeouch!

Old 11-21-2004, 11:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info I think we will plan it out, sounds like a good ride will be doing it real soon.

Old 11-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Trailblazer

Hey "Johnnyairtime" is Sand Highway where the Gordons Well sand drags are held or does it run right by the canal and the flat camping area kinda at the Gordons entrance?
Thanks.

Old 11-24-2004, 02:06 PM
Range Rover

The sand HWY is on the other side of FWY by buttercup and midway.

Old 11-24-2004, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

The sand highway is where the gordons sand drags are held. Runs north and south.

Old 11-24-2004, 03:58 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks.

Old 11-29-2004, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: blood
Hey "Johnnyairtime" is Sand Highway where the Gordons Well sand drags are held or does it run right by the canal and the flat camping area kinda at the Gordons entrance?
Thanks.
Sorry for the late response... but I was in the dez... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

AS I see you've been answered... here's more detail;

Gordon's Drags are up high on the dune... just above the flat camping area and somewhat on Sand Highway where it would end at the "all american" canal bank. If you were to pull into the flats passing "pair O dice" and you continued along the flat area and parallel to the canal (with water in it), you'd come to the drags. You really can't miss them when "its on!".