Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

BLM rangers pelted with eggs at Sand Mt.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BLM rangers pelted with eggs at Sand Mt.

A few idiots are going to have the place crawling with law enforcement, and make the BLM close down more riding area.....

---------------------------------
http://www.lahontanvalleynews.com/article/.../News/103290021

BLM rangers pelted with eggs at Sand Mt. over weekend

Marlene Garcia, mgarcia@lahontanvalleynews.com
March 29, 2005

Three major accidents, two arrests and personal attacks on Bureau of Land Management rangers marred a crowded Easter weekend at Sand Mountain, 30 miles east of Fallon.

A BLM official estimated there were 2,500 people at the popular off-road recreation area between Thursday and Sunday.

Elayn Briggs, associate field manager for the BLM, said extra park rangers were sent to Sand Mt. after raw eggs were thrown at rangers enforcing the law and at their vehicles. The egg-throwing occurred Thursday night, Briggs said. On Friday, there were eight rangers patrolling the area.

On Saturday night, someone threw a rock at a BLM vehicle, breaking out a window.

A sign at the Pony Express Station nearby was also chopped down and stolen.

Briggs said there have been verbal confrontations between law enforcement and campers in the past but rangers had not been physically targeted like they were over the weekend.

"I don't know that the crowd was more unruly but we had incidents we hadn't experienced before. We never had eggs thrown at us," Briggs said. "I wouldn't say the crowd was more unruly than normal."

Careflight was called to three "major medicals" that were described as serious by Briggs. One of the victims refused to be airlifted just as the helicopter was preparing to land, she added.

Churchill County Sheriff Richard Ingram said the county responded to a total of six requests for ambulances between 11 a.m. Friday and 11 a.m. Sunday.

At least one minor was arrested by the Churchill County Sheriff's Office for alcohol violations. An adult was taken into custody on suspicion of violating probation because he was consuming alcohol, said Briggs.

"Law enforcement issued about 100 warnings and 50 citations," said Brings.

Citations are issued for violations such as open container, failure to pay entrance fees, riding without a whip flag, riding without headlights and tail lights at night, possessing glass containers and trashy campsites.

Briggs said the BLM will be exploring a hike in fees at Sand Mountain and possibly limiting the number of campers next year. She said the public will have plenty of time to comment on any proposed changes before they are implemented.

Currently, campers pay $20 to stay up to a week. A $45 annual pass is also available.

"The BLM is facing budget problems and the fees are not nearly enough manage it by providing law enforcement, emergency medical, road grading, restrooms and dumping the trash," said Briggs. "The fees don't begin to cover it appropriately.

"We'll be looking to increase the fees next year and look at the carrying capacity - how many people that area can sustain. We'll be looking for public input on that."

On Memorial Day and Labor Day, up to 5,000 people have camped at Sand Mountain in the past, according to Briggs.

Marlene Garcia can be contacted at mgarcia@lahontanvalleynews.com

Old 03-29-2005, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man what a shame. These idiots need to grow up. Egg throwing! Come on I did that when I was 12 years old. These idiots are going to ruin one of our few remaining sand boxes. I have always thought the rangers up at Sand Mtn were some of the coolest I have ever dealt with.

It suprises me that with that size crowd there were so many problems. I was up there on Memorial weekend last year when there was about twice the number of people and the weekend appeard to be pretty much incident free.

Old 03-29-2005, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Many people saw those %@&*$ throw the eggs. Someone should have the ***** and do the right thing. Turn them in[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Then, people like yourself should also help out the rangers in policing the area when things like happen.

I have been ridin for over 38 years and have seen things like this close down what little we have. It's time to take a stand and take care of things like this.

Old 03-29-2005, 02:20 PM
Trailblazer

I wish there was a way to ticket these A-Holes and find a way to permanantely ban their *****!!! I hate it that these are the stories that make the newspapers all the time and this is what the public perception of the atv community becomes. A buch of drunk out of control idiots with no respect for the land or the law..... It just ruins it for the rest of us. Sand Mt. is under enough fire already trying to keep it open and available for us to use...

Why is it when people go on "vactaion" they feel as if they have the right to act a fool and irresponsible. They are not allowed to do it at home so why is it O.K. in the sand? I wish the fines would be ALOT higher then what they are to help keep the rangers and the facilities open and running. I am all for tripling the current fines. If you choose to act a foll then you deserve to get the hammer dropped down on you. These people who act a foll will be the reason we lose all of our riding rights one day soon. IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to help keep Sand Mt. Open and want to get involved here is a link to do so........

http://www.sandmountain-nv.org/Information.htm

Old 03-29-2005, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your right. It shouldn't always have to be the rangers vs. the campers. But if you have a bunch of people running around in street clothes tying to police the place it is just going to cause even more problems. BLM should consider recruiting some of the regulars to provide backup peacekeeping efforts when needed on busy weekends. Provide the volunteers with an official brightly colored marked jacket or vest of some sort (maybe even a can of pepper spray and proper training). In exchange for the volunteers service BLM could offer these people a years pass at no cost. I doubt they would have any trouble finding recruits and I guarantee the presence of these types of volunteers would make idiots like this think twice before pulling this kind of crap.

Has something like this ever been explored or talked about? Crowley?

Old 03-29-2005, 02:50 PM
Trailblazer

Oregon does it in all of their paved campiste areas. They have people that camp in the campgrounds that monitor the activities and handle all of the little BS that goes on and keep people in line. A great idea in my book. These camp hosts enforce parking/ curfews / littering / idiots in general . They keep thigs in line and have the authority to give someone the boot if needed...

Old 03-29-2005, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

BLM is open to ride-alongs, but nothing this stupid has happened to date.....

We've got enough issues to deal with regarding the blue butterfly, and now this. Get ready folks. More law enforcement. Heavier handed enforcement too. Capacity limits (and they will shoot for some low number now). More butterfly & insect closures. Just what we needed......

If you care about riding at Sand Mountain, get involved. www.SandMountain-NV.org
posted by: DSengineer
Your right. It shouldn't always have to be the rangers vs. the campers. But if you have a bunch of people running around in street clothes tying to police the place it is just going to cause even more problems. BLM should consider recruiting some of the regulars to provide backup peacekeeping efforts when needed on busy weekends. Provide the volunteers with an official brightly colored marked jacket or vest of some sort (maybe even a can of pepper spray and proper training). In exchange for the volunteers service BLM could offer these people a years pass at no cost. I doubt they would have any trouble finding recruits and I guarantee the presence of these types of volunteers would make idiots like this think twice before pulling this kind of crap.

Has something like this ever been explored or talked about? Crowley?

Old 03-30-2005, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

You can submit a letter to the editor at:
http://www.lahontanvalleynews.com/ap...tter/index.pbs
----------------------------------------------------

http://www.lahontanvalleynews.com/ar...009/-1/OPINION

BLM needs to keep rowdies in check at Sand Mountain

March 30, 2005

It was disturbing to learn some yokels threw eggs at Bureau of Land Management rangers, cut down a pony express sign and broke out a window in a federal vehicle at Sand Mountain over the Easter weekend.

While BLM officials have dealt with big crowds before, the actions of a few troublemakers crossed the line this time. BLM rangers felt they had to call in extra help to deal with a few bad apples in an estimated crowd of 2,500. The busy weekend at the dune also brought accidents, six requests to Churchill County for an ambulance, underage drinking and other assorted activities.

Sand Mountain is far too important as a regional attraction for thousands of off-road enthusiasts to let it be taken over by rowdies.

The economic importance of Sand Mountain is tremendous. Fallon is the last stop for food, gas and supplies on the "loneliest" highway to the recreation area. RVs hauling ATVs, sand rails, dune buggies and motorcycles stop in Fallon every weekend to gas up and buy food at local grocery stores. Many visitors are families looking to have a little off-road weekend fun, and we'd hate to see the public recreation area get a reputation for out-of control partying and trouble makers.

The BLM is already talking about the possibility of hiking users fees to cover the cost of dealing with the crowds, the garbage they leave behind and law enforcement. The land management agency also is considering limiting the number of users. We'd prefer neither of those scenarios take place.

The minimal rules and regulations in place are not onerous to observe, and they are what make the area so attractive. It's the freedom to camp out most anywhere, go sand boarding at midnight and race dune buggies nonstop that brings up to 5,000 people on big weekends like Memorial Day and Labor Day.

We don't advocate a heavy-handed approach to policing Sand Mountain, but we would encourage the BLM to keep rowdies in check on big weekends. Enforce the laws in place so that everyone else can enjoy one of Nevada's most unique places.

Old 03-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the update crowley. It is apprecieated!!!

I will at the Mountain next weekend (April 8/9/10) I intend to apoligize on behalf of 99.9% of the people that visit Sand Mt. to the BLM rangers that I run accross for the idiots that gave them trouble over Easter. They are some of the nicest rangers that you will run into compared to places like Pismo or Glamis. These people are out there doing there job and keeping it safe for everyone.

It sickens me that people think that the rules and laws do not apply to them and have ZERO respect for the mountain, the law, their fellow campers and themselves. These people are exactly the people we do NOT need in our sport and these people may someday cause the death of the sport we love so much....

Old 03-30-2005, 05:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

some of the blm are A-holes, im suprised its taken this long for some of the public to backlash on them. I go to SM once a year to race on memorial day and ive never been to a place (other then oregon) that harasses riders as much as them.

They said they also want to raise the prices again on us...maybe with this money they will put in suitable bathrooms....!

Quick Reply: BLM rangers pelted with eggs at Sand Mt.