Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

I'm tired of breaking flags!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 01:33 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm tired of breaking flags!!!

try www.clickwhip.com good whips and awesome lights....

Old 08-23-2006, 03:59 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Tripleshot
Originally posted by: Lefty31
Make sure if you get a metal radio whip that it's usable...buddy o' mine went down to LSH OK and they wouldn't let him through w/o a fiberglass whip...no metal whip....i don't really see the difference? So just make sure what you get is usable for your area

The reason you DO NOT use a metal whip should be obvious. Metal does not break, it becomes a weapon. Fiberglass will break under stress, as it should. I use a spring holder available at many parts stores, and it allows for enough flex to make the flag staff last for more than one weekend. Buy a spring holder as has been described in this thread, and a quality flag and you will be as happy as I am keeping it legal and safe for me and any other riders that may get in the way of the flag staff.
Dude.....
You are joking right??? A weapon?!!???
The CB whips use a spring mount also. If you go back and look at the link I provided, you will see it. The CB whip is no more dangerous than a fiberglass rod. It folds down under stress too thanks to the spring base.

I've been using one for over 2 years now, and I've never had a single problem with it. If anything, the fiberglass rod can be more dangerous with the shards that can get under your skin if it breaks. The only way a Steel whip would be more dangerous is if you are out riding in a lightning storm. And if thats the case, I hope you are smart enough to get in out of the storm.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-23-2006, 06:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks guys. During my last ride I saw that the registration store there had spring mounts that work with the regular fiberglass flags, so I bought one of those and didn't have any broken flags both days, so I guess my problem is solved. The quick release screw that holds the flag in was chewing a big notch into the fiberglass, but I think a little bit of electrical tape wrapped tightly around the base of the pole should solve that problem.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:13 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: 2fun
Make sure if you get a metal radio whip that it's usable...buddy o' mine went down to LSH OK and they wouldn't let him through w/o a fiberglass whip...no metal whip....i don't really see the difference? So just make sure what you get is usable for your area

The reason you DO NOT use a metal whip should be obvious. Metal does not break, it becomes a weapon. Fiberglass will break under stress, as it should. I use a spring holder available at many parts stores, and it allows for enough flex to make the flag staff last for more than one weekend. Buy a spring holder as has been described in this thread, and a quality flag and you will be as happy as I am keeping it legal and safe for me and any other riders that may get in the way of the flag staff.
Dude.....
The CB whips use a spring mount also. If you go back and look at the link I provided, you will see it. The CB whip is no more dangerous than a fiberglass rod. It folds down under stress too thanks to the spring base.

I've been using one for over 2 years now, and I've never had a single problem with it. If anything, the fiberglass rod can be more dangerous with the shards that can get under your skin if it breaks. The only way a Steel whip would be more dangerous is if you are out riding in a lightning storm. And if thats the case, I hope you are smart enough to get in out of the storm.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
My name is not dude. show some respect. It is not a joke. A metal staff does not give under stress. fiberglaas, the kind used for ATV's, is designed to break under stress, which is safer than metal,, that under the wrong conditions, could empale the rider or a bystander. If metal was the best choice, don't you think it would be sold in every ATV store in the country as the best solution? You have had no problems, YET!! you are an accident waiting to happen. Keep well away from me with your metal whip solution. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 08-24-2006, 04:14 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 2fun

Dude.....

My name is not dude. show some respect. It is not a joke. A metal staff does not give under stress. fiberglaas, the kind used for ATV's, is designed to break under stress, which is safer than metal,, that under the wrong conditions, could empale the rider or a bystander. If metal was the best choice, don't you think it would be sold in every ATV store in the country as the best solution? You have had no problems, YET!! you are an accident waiting to happen. Keep well away from me with your metal whip solution. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Ok, I will appologize for calling you dude, and I meant no disrespect, but that is far as I go.

I call a spade a spade, and I call BS when it is BS. Your assessment of metal whips is unfounded to put it politely.
FYI, metal flag poles (whips) are sold in many if not most ATV stores (at least the larger ones that I have visited). They can be found at Rocky mountain ATV, Action motor sports Metal flag pole (whip), and many other shops I have visited. The reason more people don't own them is because they are generally a lot more expensive than the cheaper fiberglass ones, which I might add can give some pretty nasty splinters if you are not careful.

I fail to see how one would get "impailed" by a metal whip when the ones I've seen are more flexible than the fiberglass rods that I and others use. Not to mention the steel whips usually have a "ball", or some other type of tip to avoid injury.

Apparently you don't understand how the "spring base" works either. When force is applied to the whip (whether it is metal or fiberglass), the spring base gives way and the whip folds down (avoiding breaking or bending of the pole).

As to how bystanders would get impailed is also beyond me, unless you're thinking a person is going to tumble his/her ATV into a crowd at a high rate of speed. If thats the case, I think the whip would be the LEAST of my concerns....

As far as myself being an accident waiting to happen because I use a steel whip??? Thats just funny! I got the idea from others I've seen riding on the dunes, and many of my friends also use the metal whips so I guess there are a LOT of people who are accidents waiting to happen due to their choice of whips lol!

I have no problem with you stating your opinion on likes/dislikes about things such as this, but when you state it as fact, I have a problem with that. If you were able to inspect my or my friends set-ups, or any of the other people who use the steel whips with spring mounted bases, I think you'd understand how audacious your statements sound.

As far as staying away from you with my flag pole, I don't think you have much to worry about [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Seems we are pretty far away, and my guess is also that our riding styles are pretty differen't too.

Anyway, this is my last post on the subject. If you still think they are dangerous, then that is your perogative. However, I suggest you inspect and compare both in person before passing judgement on my and several others set-ups. I have seen and used both, and I can assure you that you have some serious misconceptions on this subject.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

thanks for the cb idea. them fiberglass ones are too cheap and end up costing more

Old 09-05-2006, 02:15 AM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also got tired of breaking flag poles and having to try and repair them on the dunes.

I bought the flag poles of flag poles. It is meant for off road mining trucks. It has a metal spring base and a fiberglass pole that is about 1/2" thick and 10 feet tall. It works great and have had it on my bike for the past 3 years now.

The only think you have to look out for is to make sure it is mounted at a level or slopped back position. My rear rack was bent when i first put the flag on and it would sometimes swing forward and hit my helmut. Kind of like someone wacking you in the back of the head.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

the flag you want is at
www.firestik.com
we bought them here in WA state for $30
we've even had roll overs , but no broken flags

Old 04-18-2007, 10:39 PM
Trailblazer

How are you guys breaking so many flags on Quads? Are you putting them on their tops/sides often or?

I just ask because I am using a brand new flag - been out 3 times with it and it hasnt broken yet. I thought they only broke if you rolled them. Im not much of a daredevil though - maybe thats it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mune237
the flag you want is at
www.firestik.com
we bought them here in WA state for $30
we've even had roll overs , but no broken flags
I just purchased one of these for a riding buddy last weekend that wanted to run dual flags (on one pole), and the group I was riding with were running al least 4 more

looks pretty tough and will hold up well....I still like my quick release with the ability to push the broken part out right then and there (I still use the electrical tape to keep the fiberglass from splintering)

Quick Reply: I'm tired of breaking flags!!!