Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

I'm tired of breaking flags!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 11:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm tired of breaking flags!!!

Ok, i'm not a dune rider, but I figured this section would be the best place to post this question. The place I ride requires a 6 foot flag, and on my last trip I broke 2 of them, and my brother also broke 2 of them. That's $50 worth of flags!!! Plus both times I ended up riding back to camp 5 miles with a flag sticking out of my boot which isn't the most comforable and convenient riding position imaginable. So...

Is there any kind of mount that reduces the chances of breaking the flags? It seems like they're just breaking because of all the stress from whipping around all day because they just start splintering at the base. I thought I saw flag mounts before that were basically a spring between the grab bar and flag to take the stress away from the weak fiberglass pole, but I couldn't find any on my own. Thanks for any guidance on this.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have seen flags at my dealer that are thicker than the rip rods and have a spring loaded attachment. They are about 30 bucks a piece, but if you keep breaking them, maybe you should look into it.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

Get a quick release flag holder.. You must cut the nut off the original flag.. If the flag breaks you just push the old part through the hole and insert the flag back into the hole..

Old 08-04-2006, 01:24 AM
Trailblazer

I recommend getting a Firestick brand with a heavy duty spring mount. They work real well. I have them on all our quads and they've survived many trips to the dunes.

Also....you might look into getting a stainless steel whip with a spring coil mount.

Old 08-04-2006, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

I recommend a flag brand called Pop-Off and/or Pop-it. It mounts using a plastic end that when stressed enough the top with the flag attached will pop out and keep the flag from breaking. A little plastic ring keeps the flag from getting lost, and afterwards you simply pop the plastic cap back in and it's like new again. You can see it here, but I know you can get them cheaper at other places.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:05 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Floorit
I recommend getting a Firestick brand with a heavy duty spring mount. They work real well. I have them on all our quads and they've survived many trips to the dunes.

Also....you might look into getting a stainless steel whip with a spring coil mount.
Are you talking about c b radio antennas. They would work very good. I have one on my semi that hits a bridge twice a day for four years now and it has never broke.

Old 08-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Trailblazer

Actually, they are CB antennas. Just not *wired* for sound...lol. They work well. I'm not sure the thread size, but I believe they are 3/8" threads.

Old 08-06-2006, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider

My friend and I both use the CB whips and spring mount. They are about 8 ft tall, and work AWESOME!

You can get the entire set-up from Radio shack (whip and spring mount) for about 37 bucks! Plus you'll never break another whip!

The only thing you need to do is have a flag made, and or mounted to it. We had our better halfs make a flag out of red nylon material that you can get from any fabric store, and then have them (or a professional) sew it to the end of the whip! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I've had mine for a couple of years now, and it still looks brand new!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-06-2006, 02:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ok, I might go with the CB antenna. I already have 4 broken flags so i'll just use one of those for the top of the whip. Could you try to find me a link to the type of antenna you're talking about so I don't get the wrong thing? I'd really appreciate it.

Old 08-06-2006, 03:52 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: recon99
Ok, I might go with the CB antenna. I already have 4 broken flags so i'll just use one of those for the top of the whip. Could you try to find me a link to the type of antenna you're talking about so I don't get the wrong thing? I'd really appreciate it.
Send me a PM, and I'll try to send you some pics of my set up.
There are only two differen't mounts that I've seen from radio shack, and BOTH use the same stainless steel whip. (I think it is either 7 or 8 feet tall)

The one spring loaded base is straight [- ]
[- ]
[- ]
[- ] <<<<<<<<< Like so.

and the other spring base (the one I use) looks fatter in the middle
..[...]
.[.....]
[.......]
.[.....]
..[...]
...[.] <<<<<<<<<<<lik e so.

Quick Reply: I'm tired of breaking flags!!!