Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Silver lake sound emmisons test coming in 2002

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2001, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having dealt with sound issues on the Oregon Dunes for well over 5 years now, it can be trying at times. Yes, it is a pain in the butt, however there are several options available. People have adapted, yes there are some who have choose to give it up all together, but that was entirely thier choice, there are those of us who have found a way to work with it.

In the ODNRA, the USFS patrol the dunes cruising looking/listening for loud bikes, and also sit in the camp grounds to do courtesy sound checks. A watchful eye helps.

The old limit at the ODNRA was 95 dB, but was dropped to 93 dB in 1998. 95 was pretty easy to make, 93 is bit tougher. When tested, if you're not an ****, they will give you a 2 decibel variance, so the 93 dB limit is more real world 95 dB. There had been talk of going to 90 dB, but hopefully and in my best guess that has been shelved.

In my experience for most two strokes the FMF ISDE silencers will come under 93 dB, the FMF PowerCore silencers will be right around 94-95 dB with a slightly modified Banshee. Same goes for the R's and Blasters.

Turn down tips on the the silencer outlet will reduce the dB reading.

Cascade makes thier CSFX silencers that will get a stock bike under 90 dB and most modified bikes lower than 95dB. Readily available for Banshee's, and available in-house for 250R's. ESR is working on quiet silencers for 250R's right now as well.

Approved spark arrestor silencers will be stamped USFS approved on the outside of the silencer body, and that would be most likely what the MDNR would be looking for. The FMF ISDE and FMF PC's are USFS spark arrestor approved.

There's another topic going at MacDizzy's BBS about this too...

Old 08-16-2001, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

I have an FMF turbine core on my YZ490. I tried it on my modified FL350 (held on with a bungie) and it is quite a bit quieter. I may purchase another and make brackets to hold it since there is not one available specifically for the FL350.

Old 08-17-2001, 02:44 AM
Trailblazer

Does sand catch on fire or something? Why do spark arrestors matter? That is so dumb. That is why you need to go to Little Sahara in Oklahoma.

Old 08-17-2001, 07:52 AM
Pro Rider

The spark arrestor law is for all MI state parks. There is a large trail system in the northern part of the state. There are a few trails on the one side of Silver Lake somewhat similar to those at Little Sahara that have a lot of dry brush on the sides of the trails.

Little Sahara is a lot nicer place to ride: 1400 acres vs. 400 that can be ridden on, open 24 hrs, can ride right from camp and generally a lot less hassle from the state. However, at 20 hrs drive time vs. 4 hrs, I'll go to Silver Lake more often. Right now I am trying to figure out how to get my stuff to Glamis in January.

Old 08-21-2001, 12:58 PM
Trailblazer

What I dont get is that place is a ghost town in the winter. No one there is a locals in that town, its a vacation spot. I know someone that goes up there in the winter, you have to go to the city for anything. They shut down all stores, the dunes, and even the gas station. I disagree with this rule, it does nothing but make the tree hugging hippies happy.

Old 08-21-2001, 02:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

After being to Silver lake i asked a DNR officer about the sound level and spark arrestor deal. His reply was, while at SL now they dont enforce these laws to strictly the laws are enforced more strict on state trails and other state areas. When people are issued tickets at the other state areas they go to court and their argument is...Silver Lake is a State park, they dont do anything there, why should i get in trouble if i go to 1 state park and dont have to comply but then when i go somewhere else i do??? The judge really cant argue with that...so the easiest solution is to enforce these laws at Silverlake.

Old 08-21-2001, 02:19 PM
SKW
Weekend Warrior

You cant get in with Cherrybombs! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
F$#@&* DNR

I know a few people who will be pist.

Old 08-22-2001, 01:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Why don't people understand that these enforcements are there to protect our riding privelages? Sure, it doesn't make me happy either, I ride a Banshee with Toomey pipes. BUT, is a few horsepower worth getting the dunes closed? No, I didn't think so. Most dune areas in the US already have these restrictions enforced.

Yes, the treehuggers mandate some of these ridiculous enforcements. They have more money and time to spend on spoiling our sport for no reason than the average human. But Spark Arresters and mufflers are simple rules which prevent our riding areas from being closed. Look at the north and south ends of the dunes. There are homes very close to the boundaries. Can you imagine living with the constant noise of V8 engines running open headers? Spark arresters prevent forest fires from happening, simple as that. I don't want to modify my exhaust system either, but if the dunes ever closed for any reason, I would be very mad. Giving up a few horsepower to be quiet and spark-free is a small price to pay to keep them open. Some states don't have any legal riding areas, but we live in a state with a legal dune riding area!!!!!!!! Sometimes we forget how good we have it.

Off my soapbax again, let's ride!

Jeff

Old 08-23-2001, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

94 is to low . i think it sucks silver lake is one of the few places to take a suped up machine. i wonder if writing state rep would help. i just get my machine fixed up and throw away stock exhaust and this happens. i hope this is just a proposal and is not written in stone. another thing i also want to go to glamis in january lets get something together.

Old 08-31-2001, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

somebody please help me out here? I mean I have no idea how loud 93, 94, or 95 db is...
I have had many ATV's in the past, mainly 250r's. So my question is this. Exactly what pipes will and will not pass this 93-95db law?
CT? LRD? Toomey? FMF? Bills? DMC? Trinity? white brothers? super trap?

Come on guys your not going to help anybody untill we find out which pipes are going to bust this sound level?

I for one am not going to travel half a days drive just to get to the park and have a ranger turn me away and have me go all the way back home on my LRD 250r

Quick Reply: Silver lake sound emmisons test coming in 2002