Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Silver lake sound emmisons test coming in 2002

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 03:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at silver lake last week and right at the entracne they had a huge banner saying that in 2002 they would be starting a sound emissons test next year. It didn't say any real details about it. I was just wondering if anyone has herd anything about what might be going on with it or what. So if you know any details speak up cause im curious.

Matt
87 quad racer
.30 over ported polished
dg pipe silencer
sand skate2 and smooth up front

Old 08-14-2001, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

Read all about it here: Silver Lake

Old 08-14-2001, 12:18 PM
Trailblazer

I have been thinking and this whole sound test dose not seem to make a whole lot of sense to me. I can see where you would want to have a sound test when u are out riding the trails and you may be going people housesor other bussiness. But when you are going to silver lake there is not a whole lot out there. There is the lake and a bunch of old dead tress. I don't think they mind the noise. This is why I am a little confused.

Matt

Old 08-14-2001, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I agree that it is a little too strict, 94db, come on.

I can tell you that you won't have to worry about it being too crowded after applying these new standards.

How many aftermarket exhausts are available out there that boost performance without being above 94db?

Looks as if the pipe mfg will have to start mfg better pipes to meet the new standards of MANY ride areas or the sales for pipes will drop.

Old 08-14-2001, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

A stock Pilot is 94db and it is one of the quietest machines I know of.

Machines '85 and older only have to make 99db. My one FL350 will not make that.

I hope they classify my Drakart as a sand rail and I will only have to rev it to 2000 RPM during the test. Otherwise, I suspect that it will not pass with the pipe it came with.

The test is supposed to be half of redline. They have a book of what redline is supposed to be for most machines.

LRD makes a super quiet silencer for the 250R. It is basically two baffles. A second baffle connects to the end of the first and goes across the back of the machine.

Old 08-15-2001, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider

Quote from the DNR website: "...have increased the concerns and conflicts attributed to noise levels. The time has arrived to address these problems." I believe the state law is 94 dB on all state land, including the dunes. However it is rarely enforced anywhere, especially at the Dunes. In my opinion a lot of the "conflicts" have to do with noise coming from the Dunes parking lot, and streetable ORV's such as Jeeps, Broncos, and Blazers, etc cruising the area. This happens either after hours, or on the way to tank up at Silver Point, or to grab eats, etc. When you're on the Dunes, no noise makes it out. When you're in the parking lot, you're in the middle of a residential area. The area residents were effective in getting the voucher system put into effect to solve the "partying in the waiting line" problem, now they're going after the "Jeep with straight pipes in front of my house" (or the Dune's parking lot)problem. I believe the pipe manufacturer's will have to step up with quieter products, or we'll have to keep two setups, one for state land, and one for MX.

Old 08-15-2001, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

They could have made things a lot less complicated and solved the bulk of the problem simply by ticketing those who don't have any sort of muffler or baffle.

I never understood before how they would ticket an ATV for not having a spark arrestor, but trucks would have open headers. Although not as frequently as the ATVs, they would nail the sandrail guys too.

Anything that is street legal could have already been ticketed under normal moving violation laws while on the street. They don't enforce the laws they have and make new ones just to apease some group of people who screamed loud enough.

Old 08-15-2001, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

Enforcement on the street would fall to the Oceana County Sherriff Dept., while enforcement at the Dunes would go to the DNR. The DNR would have an easier time hiring part timers (for the summer season) than the sherriff would. And by doing it at the Dunes, the cost would come out of the DNR budget as opposed to the counties law enforcement budget. Also, by having enforcement at the Dunes, the offenders come to them, as opposed to tracking them down one by one on the street and pulling them over.

Old 08-16-2001, 08:13 AM
Pro Rider

I thought the DNR was having a hard enough time getting enough part timers in order to handle the voucher thing. The money from the fines given by the Sheriff would also go to the county. If a sherif sat at the entrance to the parking lot one hour each weekend, he could give out enough tickets to more than cover his salary and the other expenses. If somebody sees the cop and turns around before getting to the entrance, the cop does not have to chase him down. The voucher is only good for an hour. People will get the idea.

"ATV's with unaltered, factory equipped exhaust system will meet the standard." Maybe my Drakart will be OK. It does not have a spark arrestor though and they will be checking that at the same time as the sound tests.

Old 08-16-2001, 11:13 AM
Trailblazer

I can see how they can check for a decibl level with a gauge. The thing that I am curious is how are they going to check for a spark arestor? They are not going to take your pipe apart right there at the park. Is there a way that they check for it?

matt[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Silver lake sound emmisons test coming in 2002