Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

A Whole WEEK of DUNE RIDING - In Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Wife and I are planning to take a week off work and hit the dunes for our anniversary. We have been to Silver Lake and are definatly going back. We are also planning on going on up north to Sleeping Bear dunes. Has anyone been there?? That is my question: Please tell me some really nice places to go in Michigan reasonably close to Silver Lake. I want to spend more time riding my quad and not my truck.

Thanks

Old 01-14-2002, 12:43 PM
Eq
Trailblazer

Manistee National Forest is not too far away. It has UNGODLY amounts of trails through it. Not sand, but good riding.

When are you going to Silver Lake?? I am in Michigan and already have about 3 trips planned for early riding at Silver Lake.

Old 01-14-2002, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

I don't believe you can ride at Sleeping Bear.

Old 01-14-2002, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer

You can't ride at Sleeping Bear. It's a scenic National Park that you have to pay $11 to get into. Thank ol' Billy for that, your tax dollars hard at work.
Greg V, have a great time. Midweek is a blast without all the traffic. My birthday present usually is the day at Silver Lake.

Old 01-14-2002, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

We will be going the second week of August. I found a lot of trails on the Michigan DNR web page, A BUNCH!! Has anyone had a chance to try any of them? I saw one recommended above that we will try. Any others worth mentioning: Good, bad or ugly??[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-17-2002, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

For the best information about trail riding in MI, see www.cycleconservationclub.org They have an AWESOME website with LOADS of information (they even have a "jukebox" that plays songs while you surf their site!). If you join the club (for $25/yr), you get a 63 page book of the latest maps available, and a monthly "magazine" of about 24 pages with all the latest details and events. They were formed in 1968 in response to a bunch of trails being closed in the Lower Penninsula and have a lot of organized trail rides during the year all over the state.

Old 01-17-2002, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

Also try www.michiganatv.com for information dealing more with ATV enthusiasts.

Old 01-27-2002, 03:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

We really enjoy the dunes as well. Another trail that we like is Black Lake in the Northeastern Lower Pennisula. It is a challenging trail with lot of hills and wooded scenic trails as well as a petty good sized scramble area. (We have been told that it used to be a ski lodge that burned down.)

Old 01-27-2002, 11:40 PM
Range Rover

what is the scramble area like? and near what town is the trailhead(s)? i have heard of several different scramble areas in michigan but only know of one, if you could help me out princess, id appreciate it.

Old 01-28-2002, 11:44 AM
Eq
Trailblazer

offroadprincess - Where in Westland are you located. I am at work right now at Newburgh and Marquette... I live in Livonia near Franklin Highschool.

Quick Reply: A Whole WEEK of DUNE RIDING - In Michigan