Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Glamis / Dumont trip report.........

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my opinion on my trip. Glamis great dunes, very sand rail oriented. Nice big bowls. The dunes go on forever. Jumps could be better, but I'm sure I could of found better ones if I tried. Everybody who has the chance to go, should. It is a garbage dump. I can't believe it's not shutdown. Comp Hill might as well be the giant dumpster instead of the one by The Store. I felt good on the dunes, bowling and riding. Oldsmobiles hill is cool, but not much of a hill. I see why four strokes can beat Banshees. You won't ever see that here. Our hill lets the Shee stretch its legs and four strokes don't have a prayer here.
Dumont was intimidating. Very big sharp razorbacks. Not what I'd call rider friendly. Good for rails. Comp Hill was pretty big. The smaller dunes are okay. I couldn't imagine the 10-20k of people there on a busy weekend. No thanks, I value my life.
I like our dunes LS, Utah the best. Maybe it's, because I know them so well. Not as rail friendly as Dumont, Glamis or Saint Anthonys, but in my opinion Glamis has nothing on our dunes here. Any dunes are good if they're near you, I feel fortunate to have, in my opinion, the best dunes in the country......It was a great experience and I'm glad I went. Thanks to Smitty and Neosurfer for showing us around.

Old 03-24-2002, 12:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey SandGod,
Sorry I couldnt meet up with ya, I was fixing my throttle that saturday morning. Anyhow, I wouldnt charactize the Whole Glamis dunes as a dump, thats a bit harsh. Comp hill, Yes for sure. But once you get into the dunes, its a different story. Jope to make the trip out to Utah one of these days, Wyoduners says they are awesome..Later.

RoostKing...

Old 03-24-2002, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

Well the whole area isn't a dump. It's very good in most spots. Once you come here or I think anywhere else, Glamis is pretty trashed in comparison. I know they get 10 times the traffic of our dunes, but it's still not a good sight. You would think the fee you pay down there would go toward some type of clean-up effort. I know most trash is accidently taken by the wind and out of sight in seconds, but it still doesn't make things better. Maybe ASA should post a sign for all duners to spend 5 minutes and clean up around the area they camp at. That would help out. I know people are people and they will only do whatt they want. Anyway, I'm not here to pound on Glamis. It's a great duning area!!

Old 03-25-2002, 03:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

I haven't made it out to Glamis yet, but I did get the chance to go out to Dumont last Thanksgiving. I thought Dumont was awsome, but I'm going to have to agree with you Sandgod LS, UT is still my favorite place to ride.

Old 03-25-2002, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Sandgod, glad to hear you're back and in tact from the trip. Did you make it to Coral Pink Dunes? Did you get any pics or videos??? If so, let's see 'em.

BTW, I did actually get out of the house for a while and hit Rock Springs for 1-1/2 days. Got some video on my site too.

Old 03-25-2002, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

Didn't get to Pink Coral. The wife walked my legs off at Vegas and my arch gave out in my right foot. I have some video of Dumont. Glamis was to windy and I didn't want to sand blast my new camcorder yet. Pics coming later this week.....