Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Paddle tires for Silver Lake Dunes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 01:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Duners,

Do I should get paddle tires for my modded Raptor or just run with my Razr tires? What kind of sand does Michigan have? Is it soft or hard? Also I am no drag racer. I am just fun rider but I want to be able to up hills fast and not getting stuck or always spinning. Also I would like to smoke couple of DS's and Candy's and even shee's too! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Please help me!
Thanks Alot!
Take care
See ya,
Dusty

Old 07-12-2002, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

I've never been to Silver Lake before, but if your going to make regular trips to the dunes I'd get paddles!
Extreme haulers work great on my Raptor at Little Sahara, OK. I have the Mohaks on the front & turning is not a problem & the hook up of the Extreme Haulers are awesome!

Old 07-12-2002, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

I go to Silver Lake a lot and definitely prefer paddle tires over knobbies. With paddles it is almost difficult to get stuck, but with knobbies it happens quite a bit. With knobbies you need to carry enough momentum to the crest of a hill in order to make sure you can get over it. If you don't you'll start spinning and bury your rear axle in a flash. Then you get to drag your atv backwards out of it's hole, turn it around, run back down the hill and then take another shot at it. With paddles you don't have to be as careful - you can get traction so you don't need a lot of momentum to crest the hill. If you choose to run knobbies, it helps to run them at low pressure - like 4 psi, or lower if you dare. If you want to drag race (and win) then you will definitely need paddles.

The sand is normally soft in the hilly areas but it is hard along the beach, where it has been very wet this year. If it rains for a few days the sand gets pretty firm.

Old 07-12-2002, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

Silver Lake has "sugar sand", small fine granules. At the top of some of the hills, the sand is even finer yet. I would get paddles if it were me. I ran 9 paddle Skat-Trak Haulers on mine and I was very happy with the straight line performance. With the Razr's you have to be more careful and carry more momentum, with the paddles on the Raptor it's point and shoot. The paddles are also a "softer" tire than the Razr's so you'll get a little better ride, especially on the wet sections. Speaking of wet, last Monday (July 8) they received between 3/4" and 3" of rain in Oceana County, so expect quite a few wet areas and a lot of standing water for a while. More rain expected this Wed. Enjoy the trip, you'll want to come back! While we were there the last week of June we ran into some people from Atlanta, GA and a family from Dallas, TX. The family from Dallas flew up, bought quads, were riding them for the week, them selling them at the end of the week and returning home. The Dunes are addicting.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-12-2002, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

I am heading up there next Friday and Saturday (19&20). I may borrow a set of paddles for the rear. Will I have trouble turning with straight paddles and stock front tires?

Old 07-12-2002, 06:28 PM
Trailblazer

Hey,

Thank you so much for your help! I am buying Paddles!! You guys have helped me out alot! Thanks! I think I will buy v-paddle so that I can slide little better. I am going there on July 22nd to 27th!! I can't wait to go there!!
Thank you guys!
See ya,
Dusty

Old 07-12-2002, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've run razors and paddles. when playing the razors work better. my paddles are straight and i cant spin around in circles like i can with razor. i usually take both.

Old 07-12-2002, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Guys,

Guess what! I just bought a set of Kenda Genko Sand Tires. Thanks alot for your help! I am really exciting about the trip! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2002, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

MagnumMudMan,
No you will not a problem turning with stock fronts. I ran stock fronts on my Raptor with my straight paddles and they worked better than my Skat-Trak Mohawk fronts. Have a great time! Weather is calling for a high of 79 degrees both days.

Old 07-15-2002, 03:47 AM
Pro Rider

I have "Turbo paddles" on my 300ex and they rock!We als have Kenda straights on the 400ex too.The V paddle is great for sliding but if you plan on doing any serios climbing,go with the straights.Maxxis has two new paddles out called the Maxxis Rooster.Gonna buy a set for the 400ex if they are n stock.They are in a Vpattern and straight.Its all in a persons preference,but I reccomend a straight paddle also...Godd luck in what ever you choose,let us know what you get [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]