Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Ever been to Pismo Beach?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 06:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever been to Pismo Beach?

I will be bringing my quad with me but my friend will rent one from Pismo. There are three places from the internet that I saw that rents ATV's. Any tips on where to ride and what to look out for? Want to make sure I have a good time and want to be able to enjoy Pismo as much as possible.

Thanks

Old 11-10-2002, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well... it's not too big of an area to ride in. It's only about 5 square miles of sand. There's (2) gates that offer access to the beach, Grand Ave and Pier Ave, take the latter (furthest one south) and cruize on down the beach. You can't ride ATV's till your past pole #2. Once past it , find an open spot anywhere, pull over, unload and ride. After you unload ride easy, survey the area. If you unload and imeadiately go ripping off "east" (inland into the dunes) you quite possibly will end up rubber side up. When you go East into the dunes, ride easy and check it out. The dunes fall-off (have slipfaces/drop offs) dramaticly in that direction. Many a first timer has unloaded, raced off eastward, launched off a dune, crashed hard and ended up at the local hospital with broken parts, wrists, collarbone Etc. As far as what to look for?? Like most ridding areas they have a Comp hill. There's a drag area also called Maiden Flats. Basicly that's about it. Just ride around and enjoy it as Its a fun place to go. Temperatures are good, nice ocean to look and listen too, campfires at night and town is close by if you need anything, food, parts, fuel, resturants Etc.

Rude Dog

Old 11-10-2002, 03:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds like a nice place to ride, Thanks for the info [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-13-2002, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

RENT SOMETHING LIKE A BOMBARDIER OR BANSHEE THEY WILL COME WITH PADDLE TIRES THAT WILL COME IN HANDY IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A BIGGER BIKE.

Old 11-15-2002, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

I ride at pismo a lot and think that it is a good place to ride but just wished it was a bit larger though... But a couple of my buddys went up there and said that there open some more of it up and he say them taking down some of the fences while he was there!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] So hopefully they will open some of the bigger dunes... Maby not Devil's slide but some of the others... Is anyone going up there on turky day?? i know ill be there...

Old 11-16-2002, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

what is devils slide??

Old 11-18-2002, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

Pismo is a great place to ride. I just wish it was a little closer than the 4 hr drive.. but it's well worth it once you're there! It is also a great place for families and kids... as there are areas for every experience of riding.. I've even had my 8yr old take Sand Highway all the way out to comp hill.. She loves it! The weather is usually great for riding.. can get a little windy in the afternoon but tends to stop by the evening. All is all it's a great place to ride!!!! Have a fun time!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2002, 05:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey, pismo is a great place to ride. We mostly just sand drag at maiden form flats (yes we will be there for thanksgiving). There are a lot of nice people to help you around and everything is located right off the beach. There are ATV stores like BJ's which carries every 250r part imaginable (saved our butts more then a few times). When renting a bike from those people make sure you check the bikes out. I know 2 of the 3 companies pretty well and their bikes arent what you would call "up to par". Anyways, go out to sand highway and check out comp hill, its not that big but its still a hill....kinda. Then keep going and check out the real action at the flats where everybody flys across at 80mph+ If you go during thanksgiving they will be holding timed sand drags. If your there let me know what you look like and ill try and meet up with you. We will be running anywhere from 3-4 bikes in the drags. The reason the fences went down is because the snowy plover migrated away. The fences only come up during the periods that the birds are here. When they leave the fences come down. There is a lot more riding area available right now and more camping further down the beach is also open. Hope i helped a little bit. BTW watch those razor backs, ahem...i hit one when i first started riding. I was on a ds 650 chasing a raptor and the raptor went off first and then i went over and landed on him, then his dad locked up the brakes and came over too but doing and endo and fell on top of me. Nevertheless my DS rode away and the two raptors were all twisted up. Still hurt though, we all walked away...so watch the razor backs!

Old 11-19-2002, 07:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Dabeachman,

Thanks for the info. I dont think we will be there on Thanksgiving because it will be too jammed and crowded? I will take a look at the ATV's when my friend does rent them to make sure we get a good one. I will ride very cautiously because I would hate it if I got hurt and ended up in a hospital. I almost flew over my bars once in Glamis and that scared the crap out of me. I plan to go before or after Thanksgiving weekend. Its only gonna be a one day trip for me since its about 2 hours drive from LA.

Old 11-19-2002, 08:46 PM
Range Rover

hey thunder thats good to hear that there opening of the area. Do you know what part are they opening up? We ride there alot during the summer.

Quick Reply: Ever been to Pismo Beach?