Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Where to camp in Winchester Bay

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 01:51 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to camp in Winchester Bay

Like the others said about the noise issues, just dont bring yourself to their attention and youll be fine. I also agree what everyone said about hitting all three areas while your in Oregon. Winchester is in the center, with Coos 20 miles south and Florence 20 miles north. Florence is the area thats more likely to enforce the dec. limit, but again on the big weekends. Florence has beach access for quads, but also has a 10pm cerfew...no nite riding[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]..good luck!

Old 01-03-2003, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

You really need to plan enough time to hit them all!

Here's some side info regarding regs/noise levels/maps/etc.

Oregon Dunes

Our favorite is Horsfal/Spinreel/Hauser area...Florence is great too! Seems we stayed in a small campground with full hookups/showers/laundry and full beach access just south of Honeyman in Woahink...but can't find the info on it. Will edit this message with that info as soon as I can find it.

You're in for the time of your life!

Old 01-03-2003, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the great information. We will be out there about a week, so we should get some good riding in![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-03-2003, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

Let us (the people on the forum) know when you're going to be staying there, and I'm sure that I (or someone else) will be there and could show you around a bit. Each set of dunes has some popular areas that you'd want to check out. Have fun out there!!!

Old 01-03-2003, 09:05 PM
Range Rover

Not sure how far along they are, but I heard there was a change of ownership at Discovery Point and they were going thru cleaning and changing a few things. Shouldn't be any problem this time a year getting a spot, but just by chance if they are full, there are two campgrounds between Discovery Point and the Salmon Harbor Marina. They are Windy Cove "A" (541) 271-4138 and Windy Cove "B" (541) 271-5634, they don't have dune access, but to trailer up to the unloading area is a mile or so if I remember, and thats right at the dunes.

Old 01-03-2003, 11:02 PM
RPM
Pro Rider

Last July we stayed at Windy Cove (Winchester Bay), and we rode our quads along the side of the road all the way to the Dunes each day (Less than a mile). You are on either sand or gravel the whole way. It can be a little ruff on Paddles. We were seen by more than one Policeman & Oregon Parks Employes, and were never bothered. Another good idea is to get a Day Pass, and just take your rig to the day use parking lot. It's the last parking lot on the road that runs parallel to the Dunes. It puts you just about in the center of the riding area.

Old 01-05-2003, 12:00 AM
Trailblazer

the cops in winchester bay do not usually bother people about the noise limit i have only had a few problems with them and all of them were because i was under age and i was a local so they new that i was to young to be riding my bike in a town that small every body now you if you do go to winchester bay you will have a blast keep us posted on when your going im sure alot of us would show you around

Old 01-06-2003, 02:25 PM
Range Rover

Sound issues seem to be an problem only on holiday weekends and mostly at Florence. All but one of the 20+ group of people I ride with have pipes louder than the legal limit. Like others have said, stay off the throttle in the staging areas, parking lots, and campgrouds; you will be fine. The State Police and the Rangers are mostly looking for idiots, so they have plenty of oportunities to write tickets.

Winchester has the least amount of riding area, but the steepest dunes. The best place to go, and be centrally located with dune access, is Hauser. There is a KOA very close (I believe you can ride to the dunes from KOA) or you can camp in the sand. Hauser is located between Horsfall and Spinreel, probably the best spot to stay. The only beach access from Hauser is to go down what seems to be an endless "whoop" road. Farther south, there are a couple areas to camp; Horsfall and Horsfall Beach. Neither one is full hookup, but there is a dump station in Reedsport, only a few miles North.

What we normally do, is camp at the south end dunes (Horsfall, Hauser) and truck the bikes to Winchester for a good day ride...Works great! Look at the info on this page for some local camp info: Coos County Camping Descriptions

Old 01-06-2003, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

Raptor Cam is absolutely correct about that particular KOA. Our quad group all stayed there one year, and you can ride right out to the dunes. It's pretty centrally located.

The whoops on Hauser are way TOO much fun!!!!!

Here's that KOA he was talking about (I think, if we're talking about the same one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img])

KOA at the Dunes

Old 01-10-2003, 07:32 PM
Range Rover

We travel to Winchester Bay every year during July and run in to nice weather. Some wind but no rain(knock on wood). My Zilla is way over the sound levels but just like eveyone has said it you ride like a dumba$$ they will get you. We stay at Discovery Park each time and it is right next to the entrance to the Dunes. You can slowly ride there in less then 2 minutes and be blasting towards Banshee Hill. There is no riding on the "beach" . The riding dunes are east of the Road that takes you the the parking lots which seperates the dunes from the beach. Winchester Bay is always changing with the wind so becareful. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Where to camp in Winchester Bay