Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Where to camp in Winchester Bay

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 03:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to camp in Winchester Bay

Originally posted by: roboz400
How strict are they on the sound restrictions. From looking at sound tests it looks like all our machines are over the 93 decibal limit. Doesn't anyone have a pipe on there machine out there. Thanks for all the good information.
Well once you get into camp just talk to the host and get to know them and they dont test you. their freinds usually have the loudest pipes when they come in for the weekend. but if they are testing, just stick an old sock in your pipe, tilll you get to the dunes, and DONT DRIVE FASST IN THE CAMP until you get 50 feet out, if you do that, you can do anything and get away with it.
for the most part the State guys are great, since the state regs are 99 DB and the federal guys are a pain in the u know what, their DB's are 92 (CAN U BE LEEV IT?)
92, a frog can croak louder than that.
So shmooze up to them and your fine, don't be a Jerk and they don't bug you.

Old 02-20-2003, 02:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

This thread is incredible i didnt expect this many replies, everyone must be getting ready to ride now that spring is just around the corner. Well there has been some good information from everone and i cant wait until i get out there to ride!

Old 02-20-2003, 02:40 PM
Range Rover

I stayed at Honeyman a week ago, it was great. Unfortunately, the bath and shower rooms are not available right now in the H loop (this is the only loop ATV's are allowed). Other than that, it is a really nice place to stay!

Old 05-18-2003, 05:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

augest is the best time to go weather wize and they hold the sand fest races at that time as well...thats the best place to camp if you need hook ups at winchester bay. but spinreel camp ground is my favorite place to camp but if you want to camp there you better hurry you have to reserve a spot a head of time and there are no showers there just bathrooms you have to drive to winchester bay or horse falls to shower...Ive been camping there and riding there for abhought 17 yrs ..we go there every year i love it.. a nother ok place to camp is at horse falls its past the koa campground but youre right on the beach... there are showers there and full hook ups and bath rooms and dune and beach access.all the dunes at these places are sweet i suggest that ware ever you camp grab the bikes and throw them on the trailer and drive them to other campgrounds with dune access just to check out the different riding areas becouse you might like something better than what iver suggested for you..1 last thing if you like hill climbing than stay at winchester bay becouse banshee hill is a fun climb and there is a water fall comeing out of a dune hill realy cool but not to many people can find it but worth the try... hope you have fun and i hope ive been of some help....!!!!!!

Old 05-20-2003, 03:28 PM
Range Rover

I was just at winchester(discovery point) this weekend. I was stopped at the entrance for going over 5 mph(barely) but no ticket !!
The next day they had a guy stopped at the access road sound checking him. They are out there !! We are all running quiet exhaust and they looked at us when we drove by. Discovery point has an awesome location and the owners are nice... The cabins are kinda run down tho.
I understand there are plans for the state to build a 200 site campground with dune access !! Anyway have fun !!!

Old 05-20-2003, 04:09 PM
Range Rover

The entrance there at Discovery Point is notorious for sound checking. It is real easy for them because that's the only way into the dunes!!

Old 05-20-2003, 04:34 PM
Range Rover

What about the day use area or along the road ????

Old 05-21-2003, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

my brother, his girl & I will be at winchester saturday, probly spinreel on sunday ... look for a Gas Gas HP300, & LT250R. i'm doing break-in on the 300 so don't expect to ride or race.

Old 06-01-2003, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

null This plase is above the light house you would half to day use it.

Old 06-01-2003, 05:40 PM
Range Rover

Hey
you guys put so much effort into avoiding the noise cops,busy weekends,getting tickets lowered etc. etc. Why not just call cascade and get a quiet silencer and be done with it....NO more hassles !!!!
Or is it the thrill of being an "outlaw" ???? I don't get it ???? Maybe we should all run loud quads and just ride till they take more of the dunes for "noise buffer zones"(I don't like the noise tests any more than the next guy, but I remember being able to ride right up to highway 101 and those were some awesome hills) !!
The cascade silencers are not very expensive and I have yet to see one fail a noise test on ANY quad !!
(LT500,TRX350R etc). I guess I am the only one who reads posts like these and wonder "WHY" ???

Quick Reply: Where to camp in Winchester Bay