Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

beer in the oregon dunes

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 01:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beer in the oregon dunes

Is Winchester going to be affected by this sand camping permit? If you look at it, Coos bay, Florence, and Sand Lake all have state parks that have overnight camping. However WInchester is the only one that does not offer this. There is the Discovery Point Campground, and the day use areas, but thats it. I heard how that area at Coos bay, will require a permit on holiday weekends, but Ive yet to hear how this is all going to effect Winchester. Does anyone know if you plan on Camping on the sand on memorial day at winchester whether or not you will need a permit?

Old 04-07-2003, 07:07 PM
Trailblazer

Rhand,
Winchester bay normally is not affected by alot of the laws that affect florence coos bay and sand lake, simply because there are virtually nobody that lives by the sand to complain about the noise and bike and stuff people that are not frome here complain about..(mostly old californians that want to retire here)... so as far as the laws they are ususally alot more leaneant there.. as far a s needing a permit?? you have never need a permit to camp on the sand at winchester bay, the only time they had a permit system there is when they did a free permit to find out where peole were camping to make them accountable for there garbage. (which is the way it should be) and dunefest.. a little info you might want to consider, if you still think in the back of your mind you might need a permit, you can camp below the lighthouse on the dunes it is state land and not under the laws of the forest service... any more questions look at my posts on our site under the laws header....

Old 04-08-2003, 11:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider

it would be nice if the local towns could get in on the rules that way it could help the local communitys more which would help there economys.

Old 04-08-2003, 05:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Sandman,
Where is Christmas Valley? Is it compareable to other dunes in the area? My friend and I are always looking for new places to ride but we usually end up at Florence, Driftwood or Coos Bay. We will all be in Florence for Memorial Day weekend. There is about 20 of my friends going and we are all younger in our late teens and early 20s. Of course me and my friends like to drink at night and have fun (some more than others but we always pick up everything from our campsites and leave nothing around. Sandfest on the other hand last Aug. (I think it was the first weekend) was out of control. I mean it was fun but no place for family and young riders. Have you ever been to Moses Lake, WA on a holiday weekend it is just like that with no enforced rules and it looks like the dump at the end of the weekend it is so dirty that it takes almost 3 weeks to clean up from it after a holiday weekend but a paramedic told me that the town makes so much money from those weekends that its worth it. So many people die and are injured there every summer that my friends and I dont go there any more we usually stick to Florence. This is my first post to this site so bear with me. Thanks see you all out there this summer, Yamahagirl

Old 04-08-2003, 09:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider

it is out by silverlake it isn't to much like the coast but as far as sand and camping and all goes it is great, and i haven't been to moses lake but i have heard the sand is simalar, they are real friendly there and i would say it is a great place for young people although, not a good place to get hurt it is out by it's self. it is worth a visit.

Old 04-08-2003, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer

yamahagirl, I have been to christmas valley a couple times, couple things to remember take everything you might need nothing really out there..and be carefull you are a long way from any medical attention.. the sand is kida dusty and really soft, the other thing is be aware of the weather i was there for a few days a couple years ago it rained,snowed, wind blew harder than i had ever seen and then was like 90 degrees the last day...I am going to stick to the coast from now on...

Old 04-09-2003, 08:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

that is about right although now is the time to go summer is to dusty, and the wind does pick up in the afternoon.

Old 04-18-2003, 02:31 PM
Range Rover

There is a bunch of info at http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/siuslaw/oregon dunes/ . Copy and paste the link to your browser and delete the space between "/oregon dunes/" . Part of the wording in the link is "forbidden"

Christmas Valley is a great place to go, very different than any other sand riding area around. There are steep dunes and the fine sand mixed with the dirt makes them very interesting to get up. It is amazing how much power is robbed from your bike! I would also suggest bring sand and dirt tires.. There is a lot of trails to ride that would chew your paddles up.
Wizard is right, bring everything, including the kitchen sink! You will be close to and hour away from medical attention.