General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

BEWARE POLARIS Outlaw 525-JUNK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If the quad wasn't used by someone else before you bought it, it shouldn't be considered out of warranty unless it was over 6 months after you purchased it. And, $300 for a quad battery is absolutely ridiculous. $50-$75 is more appropriate. I would also threaten to call your local state Better Business Bureau.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks for help

I took all your advice, I got all the records from Ramsey Waite and Cycle Parts that did all the repairs. I got statements from the mechanics about them being "factory" mistakes. /and I have gotten a lawyer and he is looking into the lemon law. He is writing a letter to Polaris and Mid Valley tractor to advise them of what we have and what they will do for us. I'll let you know. Thanks for all the great advice. Be careful riding, it's that time of year again!!! Florence Dunes here we come. We are looking at replacing his quad with a Honda 700, we have done a lot of checking on them, but he needs a quad for "throttle therepy"!! Thanks again, Dawn

Old 04-22-2009, 01:44 AM
Range Rover

If you do end up getting a 700 get a yamaha

Old 04-22-2009, 07:30 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Good luck with everything, and hope he's riding again soon. Sounds like it was a really bad deal from the start. From the sounds of it, I don't think Mid Valley or Polaris would want to take this to court. They darn sure wouldn't want any of us on the jury.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A guy I ride with sometimes just returned his Outlaw 525 to the dealer....... he was having problems with the suspension in the rear, the gas was leaking out of the one rear shocks, then some linkage broke.

After the shock was replaced he broke something on the rear axle shaft..... Then the clutch started going and the head gasket started leaking....... After all that he got it back and then the steering stem started getting tight and eventually the bearings froze and he then broke his tie-rod......

Now it has some sort of electrical problem, and he's had it......the thing has been in the shop more than it has been on the trails...... The Polaris dealer told him they are having some issues with the KTM engines lately and that KTM is saying it is the Polaris dealers who are not using the proper oils and the clutch and top end are wearing out prematurely.....Either way from the way he tells it the KTM/Polaris relationship may not last much longer.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Looks like we aren't the only one that got shafted by Polaris and KTM. Ross took the motor in all it's pieces to the KTM shop and they say it's not their fault, same as Polaris...anyways Mid Valley Tractor after we told them about our lawyer requested all the service records on the Outlaw from Ramsey Waite and Cycle Parts and went over them, they called Polaris and tried to talk to them by they say no way it's over 6 months old-out of warranty! Then they informed us that Ramsey Waite has been adjusting the valve each time and that Ramsey Waite is the one that messed up the motor AND they over charged us for the battery and repairs they had done. They told us that RW should have called Polaris when we started bringing it in to them. Plus they are looking into if the clutch had been on recall and should have been replaced for free! So our "friends" at Ramsey Waite that was so down on Mid Valley Tractor are liars and crooks!!! Let the buyers beware!!! Our fun turned into this expensive nightmare! RW will be hearing from our lawyer also...........

Old 04-25-2009, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you got a lemon from polaris and a dealer who used it to take advantage of you... and ultimately made a mistake in valve adjustments... which destroyed the engine.

Sounds like you need to sue that shop to me.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Trailblazer

I have problems with this whole "Polaris piece of junk" thing.
First of all, is this Ramsey Waite a Polaris dealer? If they aren't you killed the warranty right there. You said you have other ATV's but you didn't specify what brand the dealer sold.
A battery can only be hooked up two ways. If it is "wired up wrong" it either won't do anything or it will fry the ecm. The battery isnt wired up at the factory. The dealer connects the battery at set up. If it was running when you took it home it wasn't wired up wrong. When you paid a $300 bill for a new battery they knew they had a sucker.
Now to the dropped valve. Again I ask, did you take it to a Polaris dealer for repairs?
IF you didn't why would you expect Polaris to pick up the tab.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Not all outlaws are junk

My 2007 Polaris outlaw 525 has been great after i had warranty issues fixed. And i have had drove it hard now for 7 months.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris 525s Lemon

I bought a 2008 outlaw 525s about 6mos ago and have had nothing but problems with it as well. bought it brand new 2 weeks after I bought it the bike started having starting issues the dealer took it back replaced the battery gave the bike back to me had the same issue. This went back and forth 3 or 4 times finally they identified it as a problem with the decompression valve turns out the key that rides on the cam broke and went into the cylinder with the decompression valve not working the starter could not turn the engine over properly. They rebuilt the engine with new piston , cylinder etc... took it riding the bike started leaking oil dealer did not put a seal in properly, took it out again still leaking, dealer replaced the top end found a bent Cam , took it out riding again still leaking to this day every time I get the bike back the dealer tells me they fixed the leak every time I go riding the bike springs a new leak in fact I will be taking the bike back today again to fix the same leak they fixed last time. I have had this all covered under warranty but the time has come to get the dealer to either have Polaris send a new engine or pursue a lemon law action. It really is too bad when the bike runs properly it is a great machine.

Quick Reply: BEWARE POLARIS Outlaw 525-JUNK!!!