General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

BEWARE POLARIS Outlaw 525-JUNK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good old fashioned American craftsmanship, damn nice utility quads though, that Sportsman 500 has *****. As for the IRS sport quads, try the Honda 700XX, I'm dying to take a test ride on one of those. The Outlaw is extremely fun, and not everyone of them is crap from the factory, but enough of them are, so I steer clear.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Firing issues

Hi if anybody knows what the problem I has is caused by that would be help full. I have a 07 525 IRS and I've had a problem ever since I bought it it runs might like a dream until it gets warm and then it's desides that it doesn't want to run it'll bog down and then just die and you can't start it like it just won't fire even when there fuel spark all the ingredients for combustion it just won't fire until the bike is cold again but it's something that doesn't happen every time I go riding like it'll stop every now and then and is a real pain when I go on trail and get stuck half way. Because when it does the more you start it the more the battery gets drained and then the battery just dies so I don't understand what's going on at all

Old 11-29-2015, 03:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

High maintenance engine that has to have valve clearance checked/adjusted frequently. .005 intake and exhaust.Possible that valves are set too tight and clearance decreases even more as it gets hot. One way to stop an engine from running right.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess the original poster got their problem solved. I see these all the time on here. Someone posts about a problem and then they just disappear. All must have been ok in the end I assume. They probably got the lemon fixed and traded it in on the Honda 700xx, my guess anyway.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greg74
I guess the original poster got their problem solved. I see these all the time on here. Someone posts about a problem and then they just disappear. All must have been ok in the end I assume. They probably got the lemon fixed and traded it in on the Honda 700xx, my guess anyway.

I wouldn't buy a damn Honda. I've bought two brand new Honda motorcycles and both have given me more problems than my Harley - and I have far more miles on the Harley than the two Hondas combined.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by greg74
They probably got the lemon fixed and traded it in on the Honda 700xx, my guess anyway.
No,not lemons really,but a high maintenance machine that although wasn't quite the beast the Ktm atv was,it could stand on it's own merits if you kept on top of it. Same for the Predator. We tried to feel out the "Sunday" type drivers and steer them away over to the more user friendly Scrambler 500. I do admit the frames weren't up to the Ktm standards,but cost wasn't quite as much either. These engines were straight out of the crate race atvs and we tried to let people know what they were up against if they let maintenance lag. Most people don't like checking valve clearances every 10/15 hrs or changing oil and filters as often as recommended either. When the Outlaw came out I knew some people would be bitchin' that bought them that didn't need something that complicated to begin with..

Old 12-01-2015, 09:00 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
No,not lemons really,but a high maintenance machine that although wasn't quite the beast the Ktm atv was,it could stand on it's own merits if you kept on top of it. Same for the Predator. We tried to feel out the "Sunday" type drivers and steer them away over to the more user friendly Scrambler 500. I do admit the frames weren't up to the Ktm standards,but cost wasn't quite as much either. These engines were straight out of the crate race atvs and we tried to let people know what they were up against if they let maintenance lag. Most people don't like checking valve clearances every 10/15 hrs or changing oil and filters as often as recommended either. When the Outlaw came out I knew some people would be bitchin' that bought them that didn't need something that complicated to begin with..

That's a very good point - people are buying stuff with no idea on how to maintain them properly, and instead just use and abuse.

I gotta wonder how many people complaining about stuff that are getting used in ways never intended by the manufacturer and have never even read the manual on proper maintenance.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess that's basically how all high performance sport quads are, at least the 450 class machines designed for racing. They're very fast but require a lot of maintenance. I would steer clear of any of them as well. I prefer utility quads anyway. The closest I would get would be a sport utility quad like a Renegade or Scrambler which aren't that much different than utility quads. The Scrambler 500 was much different than the Sportsman 500 but the newer Scrambler models with irs and high/low range transmission aren't that much different than the Sportsman. The only real dislike I had for the older Scramber models was the chain drive. Shaft drive would have been so much better like the Wolverine models had. More ground clearance and basically maintenance free unlike a chain that constantly wanted to work itself loose and fall off. It was a fun machine to ride but shaft drive would have been a much better way to go. I guess at the time Polaris felt that chain drive would give the best performance, like actual sport quads. The Scrambler with 4x4 and a cvt auto transmission was never meant to be a sport quad. It was more of a sporty version of the Sportsman for those who didn't need a quad for work.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Chain drive allows more power to the ground quicker with less weight and overall cost,but does have its drawbacks on maintenance. That's what the Scrambler was meant to be. Just like motorcycles. On high performance sport bikes you hardly ever see a shaft drive with an occasion exception. But shaft drive is nice and quiet,clean and less fuss.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Side oil plug outlaw 525

Have a 08 Polaris outlaw 525 s..... just stripped the threads on the oil plug that is located on the side of the crankcase, was wondering if anybody knew what size of helicoil kit I need to get to fix my problem... tia

Quick Reply: BEWARE POLARIS Outlaw 525-JUNK!!!