General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Loading ATV's

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009 | 12:07 PM
|
Trailblazer
Unhappy Loading ATV's

I am new to ATV's. Recently purchased a Honda Rincon (used) to help around the place. I tow a small trailer to haul stuff to and fro, and use a snow plow in season. My problem.........I am afraid of loading the ATV up onto my pick up using ramps. The steepness of the incline, the narrowness of the ramp sends up all my warning signs of being at risk. As I am in my mid 60's and have learned to take physical risk very seriously. I have no problem putting on or removing my ATV from the pick up bed from natural ramps provided by earth berms or terraces on the property. But if I want to take the ATV to the shop or maybe even a forest service road for a ride I know I have to be able to unload the machine where often as not there isn't a suitable natural feature that would allow me to off load. I really do want to be self reliant and not have to resort to asking others to help.

Do you think an ATV trailer is the answer?

Old 08-09-2009 | 01:27 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

If you dont feel comfortable loading on your truck,then yes you may as well get a trailer. Or maybe purchase longer or different style of ramps so the incline is not as steep. If you do use ramps,just make sure to secure them to your truck some how so they dont slip out from under you. Some will say a trailer is more inconvenient, but all i have is a 16ft and I don't mind hauling it everywhere i go. I guess i'm just used to it.

Old 08-09-2009 | 02:35 PM
Range Rover

I would suggest one of the fold-up style ramps. I used to use two separate narrow ramps and felt like I was cheating death each time I used them. I then picked up a folding ramp. When unfolded it is as wide as my truck bed, and it is one piece, so it is much more secure. It also comes with safety chains that keep it from sliding.

Of course a trailer is also nice!

Old 08-09-2009 | 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

I got a set of fold up aluminum ramps from Cabelas (had points built up) and they are great. As Rkangel said the fold up ones are nice because they won't spread out on you and you can set (or buy) them for the right width for your machine. If you have a pickup with an 8 foot bed you can get extra long ones that will be less of an incline. I cut a slightly longer set down to 6'6" and the incline isn't too bad getting into my GMC 4x4 with the same length bed. I've used landscaping trailers in the past that have a tailgate/ramp setup that you put down and ride right on. This is a great way to go if you have one or two quads. I ended finally ended up with a 12'x101" snowmobile trailer and load two side by side in the front using the trailer's tilt feature and load one in sideways using the aluminum ramps. On the rare occasion where we have 4 guys going I put one in the bed of the truck first. Hope one of these solutions works for you. PS Get a set of leashes with any ramps you buy to tie them off so the ramps don't fall out from under you. I've seen plenty of people on YouTube getting hurt when their ramps shot out from under them while loading or unloading.

Old 08-09-2009 | 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

I know what you mean by cheating death, or more appropriately potential serious injury, from ramps. As others here have said, the folding ramps are much better, but not foolproof by any stretch. I have always had the nice folding ramps and still wound up with the Warrior that I had at that time on top of me. The cable stays that came with the trailer were not tight enough (my own dumb fault) and the ramp went out and I went over on 2 different occasions. The problem that I see with longer ramps is that they may not fit in the bed of a truck with a bed less than 8'. The safest way for you to go IMO is to get a small trailer that sits low and take the safe way. I know that small boat trailers are plentiful and usually really cheap. They are easy to convert over to a nice ATV trailer.

Old 08-09-2009 | 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

What I tell everyone I ride with, if you don't feel comfortable doing something...don't do it. Just get a small trailer, if that is what it takes to enjoy your machine then go for it.

There are other styles of ramps like the others said. The trifold ramps are usually as wide as the tailgate. The longer the ramp, less of an angle. Obviously

Old 08-09-2009 | 06:53 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

you can even get the ramps that have a slight bend in them so its not as steep. the problem with that is they era single ramps,not trifold.

Old 08-10-2009 | 08:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

I understand how you don't quite feel comfortable with ramps on a pickup. I've seen people unload ATV's with short ramps on a high truck where it got my attention. I've seen them back down and when the rear wheels hit the ground, the front end comes up and they're close to that tipping point. I'd definately opt for longer ramps if I were them.

In your case, have you thought about using a winch on the front of the atv for loading/unloading. Seems like that would be cheaper than a trailer and the winch could come in handy on the trail one day.

Old 08-10-2009 | 11:40 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default Thought about using the winch

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I have though about using the winch but was uncertain whether anyone out there does that. My wife ( who fears for my life..lol ) on the ATV thinks that the machine could still go off track. I would appreciate anyone who has experience loading and unloading an ATV from the back of a pickup with a winch describe their experience.

Old 08-10-2009 | 11:50 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default Using a winch to load my ATV

Thanks to all for your considered opinions on loading my ATV. In the above posts "fballfan" asks if I have thought about using my winch to load my ATV onto and off my pickup. Yes I have thought about it but have not so far considered that adventurous use of the winch. I have a warn 3000 lb winch on the front and do have a remote for it. Anyone having experience with winching their ATV on and off a truck please relate their experience to me. If I can hook the winch hook up to the center of my truck bed will the ATV track straight up the ramps? My ramps are bifold type but still have only an inch on each side of my Honda Rincon wheels. If this works it could be the solution to my problems if it can be done safely.

Quick Reply: Loading ATV's