General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

north vs. south

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010 | 08:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

The best part of riding in the white stuff is not having do seal with the motorcycle riders on the trails!

Old 03-17-2010 | 06:59 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Originally Posted by FunRide
What about the super hot and dry southern summers? Does it get too hot to ride in July and August?
It sure does. When it gets up into the triple digits it seems to give you a strange shortness of breath. I've been out on those days but, our ride usually consists of going from one water hydrant to another.

Old 03-17-2010 | 07:07 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

I usually ride NH and they have a number of trail systems that allow mixed use in the wintertime. My ATV club shares trails with a snowmobile club so there has to be more than 6" of snow and temps. below freezing to ride them. There are a number of places that allow ATVs to ride on trails but only in the winter. Bear Brook State Park is one of them. We had several nice rides up there this season. Railtrails are usually open year round if I get the spring blues and need to ride. Otherwise there is a closing between March 1 and May 23 for "mud season". 11 weeks out of a whole year is a better deal than the snowmobilers will ever have time-wise. I'm happy!

Old 03-17-2010 | 09:05 AM
|
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I usually ride NH and they have a number of trail systems that allow mixed use in the wintertime. My ATV club shares trails with a snowmobile club so there has to be more than 6" of snow and temps. below freezing to ride them. There are a number of places that allow ATVs to ride on trails but only in the winter. Bear Brook State Park is one of them. We had several nice rides up there this season. Railtrails are usually open year round if I get the spring blues and need to ride. Otherwise there is a closing between March 1 and May 23 for "mud season". 11 weeks out of a whole year is a better deal than the snowmobilers will ever have time-wise. I'm happy!
Our season seems to begin when somebody decides it begins. Never really sure when it "opens" in ME. Some person makes the grand call from the sky depending on how they're feeling that day. I've called state agencies and looked on web sites. I think it differs between different parts of the state and if it's state, town, or massive chunks owned by foreign paper companies. I need to talk to Sten about the situation in more detail.

Old 03-17-2010 | 10:51 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Our snow is more then half gone,yet this last weekend people with ATVs could still not go down half the trails the sleds could, the trails are soft like mush and still deep.

Old 03-17-2010 | 11:01 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Originally Posted by TLC
Our snow is more then half gone,yet this last weekend people with ATVs could still not go down half the trails the sleds could, the trails are soft like mush and still deep.
I think that's a difference. Down here in OK when it snows we get lots of ice with it and the low temps at night freeze the snow so it's always heavy snow that packs. On the roads it turns to thick ice. We hit some backroads this year that were impassable by vehicles. We slid all over the place.

Old 03-17-2010 | 11:34 AM
Trailblazer

I live in North Dakota and you can ride anywhere whenever you want, no closings of anything at all. i love it

Old 03-17-2010 | 01:24 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by deezna
I live in North Dakota and you can ride anywhere whenever you want, no closings of anything at all. i love it
It's definetly more free and open out in the West than up here in the Northeast. Railtrails are kind of boring to me but I think we'll do a couple to get my son's new quad broken in enough to do the first service before the all trails open season begins.

Old 03-17-2010 | 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

yes, the trails I was talking about are orv trails that are open year around
(most of our orv trails are except hunting season in Michigan) they groom
them for the sleds so they can use them to get to other snowmobile only
trails and use the parking area on these mixed trails. these are wide trails
not 50" trails.

Old 03-18-2010 | 10:14 PM
Trailblazer

Hello guys,
I live in Illinois and we only have one park with in a 200 mile radius of another and the best time to ride is in the winter, yeah it's cold but no dirt bikes and no people. we are usually the only ones out there in the winter. Summer time they always have some sort of race going on and if they are having hare scrabbles forget it cause your not riding trails that day. Anyone no of good spot to ride around Central USA?

Quick Reply: north vs. south