General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

utility quad for fast trail riding

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 01:57 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitterfitter
Though I bet the Grizz 700 works pretty well, too, doesn't it D57H??
I don't know about that 700 grizz-
Troyboy just bought an 09 grizz 700 PS with 27" (big horns I think)- we swapped bikes for about 20 minutes on the trails last sunday. He took my 08 outty 800- I couldn't take a corner over 10mph no matter how much I leaned without the bike wanting to roll over- even in a power slide, and that was with the shocks adjusted to the most firm position. It's a very nice bike and very comfortable to ride, but very squishy in the corners and it likes to roll- my outty, on medium shocks, stays level and will toss the rider before rolling over. Both bikes had around 5-8 psi in the tires.

I was pretty bummed, because up until that point, I was in line to buy a new grizz. I love the way they look and sound. I know you can spend money to fix the roll, but how much???
Anyone else feel that with the grizz 700?

Old 06-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beergut
I don't know about that 700 grizz-
Troyboy just bought an 09 grizz 700 PS with 27" (big horns I think)- we swapped bikes for about 20 minutes on the trails last sunday. He took my 08 outty 800- I couldn't take a corner over 10mph no matter how much I leaned without the bike wanting to roll over- even in a power slide, and that was with the shocks adjusted to the most firm position. It's a very nice bike and very comfortable to ride, but very squishy in the corners and it likes to roll- my outty, on medium shocks, stays level and will toss the rider before rolling over. Both bikes had around 5-8 psi in the tires.

I was pretty bummed, because up until that point, I was in line to buy a new grizz. I love the way they look and sound. I know you can spend money to fix the roll, but how much???
Anyone else feel that with the grizz 700?
With a 1in spacer and a good set of radials I would put the Grizz up there with just about any one, esp in the handling dept! The thing about some of these bikes is some are better for high speed (Renegade) and some better at comfort (Sportsman) and some for mudding (Brute Force) But in all fairness the Grizz and the King Quad probobly give you the best mix of all three. If you want a ute to handle speed you honestly need a SRA quad to begin with!

Old 06-22-2010, 02:24 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

27" tires are good for mud running and big disadvantage in quick handing trail rides on any ATV made. A Grizzly with 25" tires will out perform one with over sized 27" tires easily in acceleration and steering.

I find a IRS faster than a SRA, when I ride a SRA Utility ATV I,m slowing down standing for bumps on the trail that would not even think about floating over with a IRS,also you have to go around higher rocks that could hit a SRA low slung rear diff, but a IRS would straddle with clearance to spare and keep a straight line.

I don,t think after they stopped making the Suzuki 500 Vinson, 500 Magnum,600 Grizzly and 400 Explorer they even make a fast Utility ATV with a Straight axle any longer.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

TLC, the Brute Force 650 is fast and has SRA. I can't speak to much else about them, but they are fast.

D57H, well put. Many big-bores are good for particular things, but the Grizz and King Quad are good across the board comprimise. Oh, the BF being good for mud... I gotta take issue with that one. Outlander or Polaris XP (NOT with stock tires) for the mud. A Grizz with good tires (again, NOT with stock tires) is no slouch in the muck, either. Yup, I gave a Yami some props. Can't believe it myself.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

Seems like the Renegade would have an advantage, the other utilities are very close?
I have an X2 and my buddies have CA,Griz,AC,Honda,Kaw, etc.....you can't beat the X2 in slower paced riding but once you start pushing it takes a lot of work.
I do feel like Chad, in the Polaris comercial, when the going gets rough, buddies all take the bypasses.
I'm sorta leaning towards one of the Touring 2 up models. Hopefully the new suspension and EPS will give it an edge. I've ridden all the atvs but always come back to CA and Polaris. The new AC 550 with EPS does seem nice, wonder how it compares for fast riding?

Old 06-23-2010, 04:23 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new AC 550 with EPS does seem nice, wonder how it compares for fast riding?
I've never ridden one- but from what I've read, they are pretty clumsy on the trail and underpowered for such a large atv. I was just watching them on you-tube.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:41 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

If the Renegade is a Utitiy ATV than I must have a Sport bike. Can AMs Utitity ATV is called a Outlander. (Bottom)

Old 06-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Originally Posted by TLC
If the Renegade is a Utitiy ATV than I must have a Sport bike. Can AMs Utitity ATV is called a Outlander. (Bottom)

Yes! But what is the Renegade based off of??????

Old 06-23-2010, 11:18 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Just going by the Guys post Title. Utility quad for fast trail riding

The 400 Scambler and 400 Xplorer shared 90% of there parts, also the 450 Wolverine and 450 Grizzly but two are Utility ATVs and two are not.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
For a Utility ATV, Outlander 800, same power wise as a XP850 (70hp) with 120lb less weight.

The Rincon would be lucky to keep up with a Outlander 500 or a XP550 with its 39hp 680 OHV mortor.

2009 Can-Am Outlander™ 800R EFI XT ATVs

Actually our riding buddy with the Rincon does very nicely keeping up with us on the 850's until the trail gets too muddy, or we hit wide open dirt roads. In the mud, his lack of aggression (and lack of a front locker) does him in. Only on the fire roads, or drags does the Rincon shows its lack of power.

Quick Reply: utility quad for fast trail riding