General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Craigslist Shenanigans

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I once tried to sell some paintball gear on Craigslist. People kept flagging it because it was a "gun". Gasp! Oh, the horrors.

It's not like it was a Red Ryder bb gun, you can put your eye out with one of those.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
It's not like it was a Red Ryder bb gun, you can put your eye out with one of those.
You can put an eye out with a paintball gun too. Boston Police were trying to break up an unruly crowd after the Sox won the pennant in 2007??? They used paintball guns loaded with paintballs that were filled with pepper spray. They hit a woman in the eye and she died on the spot. It was stupid of the police to shoot up that high with people who weren't wearing goggles or a paintball mask. They can be lethal. We just don't seem to find the time to play.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And that folks is why I don't use Craigs list or Ebay.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kind of a catch-22 for me here. I buy/sell stuff pretty regularly and always try the local route first. Over the years I have had very little luck locally. Probably sell one local out of every 15-20 sales. People around here have the $ but are reluctant to spend it and go overboard on lowballing. I list my stuff pretty fair with some wiggle room and still end up having someone from out of town/state purchase. Almost a better use of my time not to sell locally because of all the tire kickers and such. Perfect example is from when I was building/selling hotrods. Had a nice 65 Impala rolling chassis that I knew I wouldn't get to any time soon because I had two Camaros and one Nova going. Decided to sell it and had a ton of people look at it with nothing but ridiculous offers(about a $4k car I was only looking to get $2500 for). Even had a guy come by and looked at it almost a dozen times and he even had the seal of approval from his wife but kept just wanting to look at it. Put it on ebay and sold it to a guy in Cleveland, OH in a little under 2 days for the full asking price. Seems like an out of town sale involves a lot of communication but the buyer really knows what they want so when they find it they are less hesitant to pull the trigger on buying. Works for me but kind of odd because I would much rather get a good look at something and put my hands on it before buying. Luckily for me I had a good reputation and never had anyone upset because I try to describe items as if I were buying and go over them pretty thorough.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:26 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
You can put an eye out with a paintball gun too. Boston Police were trying to break up an unruly crowd after the Sox won the pennant in 2007??? They used paintball guns loaded with paintballs that were filled with pepper spray. They hit a woman in the eye and she died on the spot. It was stupid of the police to shoot up that high with people who weren't wearing goggles or a paintball mask. They can be lethal. We just don't seem to find the time to play.
I remember way back in the 70's, living in a college town. The campus police tried to break up a crowd using knee knockers. (rubber bullets) Hit someone in the eye. They didn't die, but they never used those again.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:45 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by switzomatic
I'm going to go the local route before trying ebay. Probably give it until the end of this week and then list it there.
Just FYI- ebay has a "local" classified option also- but I hate selling on ebay- I've had problems selling with them in the past and try to avoid them at all costs.

Also- I've sold over 500 items on CL (dozens of atv’s)- It takes more then one flag to remove a post.
People who list their item as being "the nicest one on cl" or things like "biggest most powerful _____ around" is a guarantee flag- people don't really want to hear opinion or deal with emotional prices- they just want the facts and a deal.

Scammers selling atv's on CL is very common- I always see things like "2009 Can Am Outlander 800 Max XT for $2500"

Those ads are actually legit ads that were copied by a scammer and relisted for a very low price- and they relist the ads in another state.

CL prevents you from running the same ad within 7 days- so what I usually do is type up an ad and way at the bottom of the ad I also type about 100 arbitrary words- this allows me to rerun the same ad instantly in multiple categories by just deleting some of the arbitrary words at the bottom. You can also relist the same ad by simply changing your spelling for example- changing the number 5 to "five" or changing best-offer to B/O. CL uses an algorithm to determine if the ad you are posting is the same as the ad you posted five minutes ago, so change up a dozen words and you’ll be all set.

You can also post extra photo's simply by uploading your pics to a free host like www.photobucket.com and inserting the html code in your ad- it's pretty simple and you can list dozens of photos. Photobucket will actually give you the code to copy & paste in the ad.