General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Maintenance Guide: How to Prepare Your ATV for the Winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:09 PM
ATV Reporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance Guide: How to Prepare Your ATV for the Winter

Hey guys, we have a new article up on the site. It focuses on different things you can do to keep your ATV in great shape during the winter off-season.

Originally Posted by ATV Connection
In the perfect world, there would be no such thing as an “off season”. Unfortunately for many of us, cold temps, dark skies, and snow accumulation results in ATVs spending long periods of time hiding in the garage.

Our machines may appreciate the break but a few simple steps before tucking your quad in for its long winter nap can assure it will be ready to go when the need arises.
To see the actual tips, be sure to read the article.

Did we forget any tips? Share yours!

Old 11-18-2010, 11:10 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great stuff!!! One thing I like to do as well, is to put the bike on blocks. I noticed long periods of sitting cause temporary flat spots in the tires. Very annoying in my book. (Plus it can't hurt to take the weight off the suspention).

Old 11-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by HawkeyeRider
put the bike on blocks.
+1
I put my motorcycle on it's centerstand anytime it's going to be parked for more than a few days. What is this winter off season stuff? I got a quad so I'd have something to do in the winter during the two months I don't ride my street bike. JK, I understand many members live north of the mason dixon.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

Off season...Whats that? I think I ride more in the winter nothing beats doing some plowing and then dropping the plow and heading out for some fun in the snow.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

For Fuel stabilizer in your tanks and you dont want to drain anything... Pour some in but don't stop there.... let the quad/bike run for 10/15 min, let it run through the carb so the carb has some in it too, lots of people forget this step and wonder why their machines run rough after keeping stabilizer in just the tank...your carb holds fuel too!

Also if you ride in lots of mud its a good idea to remove your skid plates and clear out the mud/water, if there is enough mud caked in your skid plates it can hold moisture and eventually rust out components and make it difficult to remove hardware, I use anti-seize on skid plate bolts to prevent this.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i winterize my rubicon and rancher by putting them in 4wd and adding plows

Old 11-30-2010, 08:03 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Butch450
Off season...Whats that? I think I ride more in the winter nothing beats doing some plowing and then dropping the plow and heading out for some fun in the snow.

BINGO!

didn't know there was an "off" season for atv's