General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Adapting a Bayou for a disabled Rider

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 09:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adapting a Bayou for a disabled Rider

Hello folks,

I'm picking up a 2004 KLf 300 to help with work round my house.
I've been paralysed from the chest down for 3 1/2 years now since coming off a XR650R supermoto. (motorbikes huh? apparently they're dangerous?!? go figure...)

Anyway, it wasn't long before I sorted myself to get back on the road with a Vmax trike. Now to brake on this I got funded by a disabled riders association for a dual lever handbrake and a Klicktronic electronic gearchanger. Coupled with footboards and a rack to hold my wheelchair I was all set.
However, I will be doing the mods to the KLF myself and as cheaply as I can.
Has anyone here converted a quad with a semi auto clutch to a hand change. Also, has anyone converted a foot back brake to a hand brake. I'd ideally like to keep the parking brake feature.
If the ideas are good I might post some pics of the conversion in a build thread. They're often interesting and I'm sure I'm not the only crip looking to ride a quad again (Sorry if the crip reference offends, but it's self deprecation so I'm allowed...)

cheers....

Old 12-22-2010, 10:28 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I,d just buy a Polaris, your legs are just out of the picture. The have a single hand brake that works both the front and back bracks at once and a CVT tranny that is just gas and go. Its basicaly a snowmobile on wheels. Your feet do nothing.

Any CVT (belt) ATV would do but some have a foot operated back brake.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had looked around for a polaris like that that suited my price range (I've ploughed so much money into the trike that my missus would go bat-**** if I forked out a couple of grand on a 'toy') but couldn't find one that suited.

Anyway, I like working on and modifying my machinery so KLF option suits me well. Plus it has a locking diff that will go easier on my lawn when I'm mowing it.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Range Rover

my buddies honda 420 rancher is like that? iirc its all pushbutton to change gears, no feet needed, he can ride around with his feet on the front rack or sitting on them all day if he wanted. his is all factory and on the handlebars, the right lever is the front brakes, the left is the front and rear.....

Old 12-23-2010, 04:46 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

x2 on wha TLC said-

my neighbor modified his 2000 KQ 350 to do exactly what you're talking about- he was a horse jocky and the horse fell on him, breaking his lower back (30 years ago)

The guy is a total riot- maybe 4' tall and full of **** & vinegar! He'll sit on his atv all day long with his shotgun- bag a deer then call his wife on his radio (she's 66 yearsold) to come load the deere on a sled then he winches it out of the woods- Born & raised on this country road- he thinks nothing of blasting a few shots at 4am in my back yard- the police won't even bother with him, they just roll their eyes

He even modified his ford ranger the same way.

What about a honda rincon with the ES? I knew another guy who was wheelchair bound that bought a rincon- no feet needed from the factory.