General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

bombardier VS Polaris VS Honda????

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bombardier VS Polaris VS Honda????

as I have said earlier I am looking to buy a quad here in the very near future. I have been looking at the new 2011 polaris sportsman 500 HO at a price of ~$6,000 out the door (tax title doc fee setup fee etc) they have a used 2005 2 up bombardier 400 with winch on it for $3999 out the door (as no doc fees no setup fees just tax) now for the 2,000 difference I could get a bunch of accessories or save it. they also have a honda 420(?) 2009 that they are rebuilding the engine on as its smoking a bit so it would have a new engine in it they are wanting $3200 for it. so here is the question do I get the 2 up and save money or do I get the new one? or they said if I buy the 2 used they would give me both for $6,000 so what would you do??????????????

Old 04-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

Sportsman 500 HO is pretty much bullet proof and has the most power out of those.
The Bom is a nice quad also.
Honda is normally the slowest/outdated design but most reliable of the quads.

For me I like new because I know how it was treated.
the 2009 Honda needing engine work makes me wonder how it was treated.

I would go with the Bom or Polaris

Old 04-15-2011, 10:06 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The problem with the Honda is it has a mid size chassis with smaller 24" tires not a full size ATV frame with 25" tires and they have no AWD system of any kind or a low range and there OHV motor are down on power vs OHC motors that everyone else uses.

The Can am sound not bad to me because I was thinging of a 2up ATV next time round for more room for suff and a passenger.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

Decisions, decisions.... Honda 420 all day!

Old 04-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

TLC made some good points I would count the Honda out in this case for sure it doesn't really compare to the Can Am or Polaris in specs.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Wonder how the dealer wound up with a 420 that smokes so bad it needed a rebuild?

They're not gonna put any more money into it than they can without losing money. So they must have got this thing really cheap, and will fix it as cheaply as possible.

Not something I'd want to buy.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Bom or polaris for sure. I've always liked hondas but as time goes on, the more I am starting to dislike them when comparing them to what else is available these days. If they repair the honda to running condition and you favor the bom you could always buy the both for $6000 and clean up and sell the honda for $3000 easily (maybe more pending on condition)and then only have $3000 in the bom.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:38 AM
Trailblazer

Assuming both Pol & Can are equally sound machines, I guess I'd want to know if you plan on riding two-up? If so, there is just no comparrison (sp) for not only the passenger, but also the driver who'll lhave his nuts smashed into the tank all the time.

Now, normally I'd take new in a heartbeat over used, and I like the idea of the additional 100cc's, even though Can seems to have more giddy up than equal cc's in other brands, it's still not a 500 (on a nice machine at that)

But...I again go back to two people - enjoy 2-ups! Crap, I'm already changing my mind.... 2005 vs 2011......boy, be hard to turn down that 2011...

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Old 04-16-2011, 07:13 AM
Range Rover

personaly the only honda I would buy would be a trx 400. they build bullit proof motors in all there modles but not on the performance the utility modles are more designed farm, and work use and even now they are out dated in those catigories can ams are nice but the newer sportsmans have more power and suspension is set up better but you can't realy go wrong with either I would look for the best deal between pol. and can in the long run you get what you pay for used with excessories or new personaly if I was spending the money I would go with new at least then you know exactly what you got there is always time for goodies in the future

Old 04-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man, if someone rode / beat an 09 rancher so hard that they blew the engine, that thing is toast. if you blow a honda engine, then damn! that thing is abused

Quick Reply: bombardier VS Polaris VS Honda????