General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Buying a new helmet

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new helmet

Hey guys I am going to purchase a new helmet and wanted to get your take on buying a cheap priced helmet, is it ok as long as it is SNELL and DOT aproved or should I spend the extra money on a name brand helmet?

Old 04-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

IMO. Regardless of brand name, as long as the helmet is approved I see no problem. However some times the cheaper helmets may not have as nice of a fit and finish, ventilation, heavier, etc. I personally had good luck with my last helmet which I got through E-bay for $50 new. Is it the lightest? NO. Is it as comfortable as the more expensive ones? I can't tell the difference. Does it protect my noodle like the high priced helmets? Yep! Are there nicer helmets out there? Sure, but I really don't care as long as fits and protects. Don't get hung up on brand name as long as it fits right and it does what it's supposed to. Just my 2 cents!

Old 04-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider
Old 04-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Readymixer. The brand doesn't matter as long as it's approved.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Range Rover

approved helmet is the key. Had cheap helmets and costly ones, just make sure you get a proper fitted one.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Trailblazer

just got my black hjc helmet and it fits perfect, large, its light soft and beautiful looking! 103 bucks not to bad if you ask me

HJC Helmets CL-X6 Solids | Helmet City

Old 04-28-2011, 02:27 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a nice one. I got a cheaper brand at sportsmans guide. Prices start at $30. I think my Mossi was $50 and I don't even remember where I got my other helmet. I have an open faced one to wear with a breath deflector mask in winter, and a moto helmet for the rest of the year.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

Hjc is in my opinion the best. They make comfortable light helmets evan good looking stylish product for next to nothing. My dumbazz cousin wrecked his wheeler riding road drunk 5th gear pinned on an 400ex running from the cops, ran off the road and hit a tree. Crazy **** is he never wore a helmet ever, but for some reason the night all that crazy **** happened he was wearing my hjc helmet and it saved his life. The helmet was split end to end. Weird enough I forgot my helmet at his place because I never ever forget ****,and for someone who would never wear a helmet for some crazy reason he had it on that night which subsequently saved his life. Didn't do much for the legs he broke but idk that kind of **** really makes you think. coincidence? Maybe ,maybe not. Just down right weird

Old 04-29-2011, 12:34 AM
Trailblazer

back in the 80's my cousin was racing down some trails on his 250 motocross dirt bike with a supertrap exhaust. he ended up hitting a telephone pole head on, the helmet saved his life. he was in a coma for 3 weeks and they didn't think he would make it. they had to drill and drain blood out of his head to keep the pressure down. the helmet didn't break or anything infact the damage was internal his brain smacked around inside his skull. the helmet just wasn't tight enough around the chin (make sure you keep those straps tight) and it was choking him (had a blue face) his friends took it of, got him to a hospital. hes good now. they said hed never walk again, he walks just fine, they said he would never talk right, he talks fine, he graduated college and works full time. always wear your helmet.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DIABL0
back in the 80's my cousin was racing down some trails on his 250 motocross dirt bike with a supertrap exhaust. he ended up hitting a telephone pole head on, the helmet saved his life. he was in a coma for 3 weeks and they didn't think he would make it. they had to drill and drain blood out of his head to keep the pressure down. the helmet didn't break or anything infact the damage was internal his brain smacked around inside his skull. the helmet just wasn't tight enough around the chin (make sure you keep those straps tight) and it was choking him (had a blue face) his friends took it of, got him to a hospital. hes good now. they said hed never walk again, he walks just fine, they said he would never talk right, he talks fine, he graduated college and works full time. always wear your helmet.
good he came threw... some people call helmets brain baskets meaning they really dont do **** but these people are fools... Always wear a helmet, fuc*ing always