General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011 | 07:46 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Advice needed

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and from Albuquerque, New Mexico. I'm seeking some advice on what to do for a first ATV purchase. I have never owned one nor rode one before. The only thing motorized I have driven are jet ski's and boats, therefore I would be looking at a 4 wheeler although a dune buggy does interest me. My questions are fairly basic since I'm a newbie.

1) What is the best way to go for trail riding, sand dune running and offroad parks. Here in NM we have designated and huge offroad areas that go for miles...hills, dunes, jumps, trails etc and then the mountains for other action.

2) I'm 6'1 and about 170 pounds. What size and cc would you recommend as a first machine? Wouldn't want something that is overpowering either.

3) Sport bike or utility? COuld you run the sport bike on mountain trails as well?

4) Not completely sure I would like it so would rent first but as a first time buyer would you go new or used?

Thanks guys,

Ken W

Old 05-11-2011 | 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

you could get the yfz 450 lots of people run those out in arizona but if youd like a utility quad iv been really impressed with renagade 800 its a sport utility they run about 73 and and are set up with a racing clutch so they are really snappy off the line and will run anything and anywere you want to go but id check it out and see for your self some places will let you test them but the can-am is the best bike on the market right now

Old 05-14-2011 | 06:52 AM
Trailblazer

I'd recommend trying a rental or two just to get a feel for the machine. Yes, it puts a bit of a pinch on the wallet but it might save you big bucks making a decision about buying the wrong-for-you machine.
Better yet, if you know other guys with ATVs maybe you could ride them around their yards a bit to get a feel for what you want.
Recommend buying something 400cc or larger. Smaller than that and you'll probably be quickly dissatisfied with the power and ride, and be looking for a bigger machine within a year.
Wife & I have matched pair of 500cc utility we use as much for work around the 'ranch' as for pleasure riding. Perfect for us. Plenty big enough for just about everything we want to do with them but not so small we feel like we're riding a kid's toy.

Old 05-14-2011 | 01:59 PM
Trailblazer

Like DCMAC said, rent and try each (sport, utility etc)

Few times spending 150 bucks for rent is still cheaper than buying 6-10k machine and after few months finding out you wish you had something else BUT rental machines usually are beaten up so you might end up riding crappy unit that makes you feel that brand is junk.

Which category? if you like dunes then YFZ type 4x2 sport quad with manual tranny or Renegade type 4x4 sport quad with automatic tranny. Now remember Rene is about 750 lbs while YFZ is about 450 lbs (or so) so crazy air is more for YFZ type machines.

Do you like more mountain trails, desert and long rides? This means you need to carry extra fuel, tools, snack/food and even rain jacket and other gears, which will take you to utility machines with racks.

You can ride sport on mountain trails but on rock crawling 4x2 haves disadvantage compared to 4x4 utility / Rene. Skilled riders can take 4x2 to places where we thought those can't go so it is all up to rider skills.

Sport quads without fenders gives good mud bath while utility machines with fenders doesn't.

The CC effect is different depending the category, 450 is plenty for 4x2 sport quad but pretty gutless on 4x4 utility machine.

Having new quad and buying smaller cc or bigbore is one of the questions with no one simple answer. If you buy (like I) smaller cc and have good time learning things, somepoint you, like I, with get used to it and may feel more uummpphhh is needed.

On the otherhand, if you go and buy bigbore thinking now you saved yourself from upgrading then you forgot that the uummpphh is there already and you are not used to it nor you know how the bike behaves on the trails you have not even rode yet.

Old 05-14-2011 | 03:48 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

Welcome to the forums.

Well, you could just buy one for each type of riding you'd like to do. But then I'd bet we all wish we could do that.

Old 05-14-2011 | 04:06 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

If you can, as others have said, try to ride as many different types of machines as you can on as much different type of terrain as you can. I started with a sport type 300cc and quickly learned they don't do well on steep rocky trails and didn't get through deep mud and water too well. But, I live in New England where we ride mud, snow, ice, little bit of sand, lots of rocks and hills. If it's trails without any major mud or rock climbs a sport might do you well but if you go on long trips a utility can handle the weight of extra fuel and gear better than a sport. As others have said 2wd will get you into amazing places but 4wd will get you through some nasty areas more easily. My son has a Renegade 500 that is made by Can-Am. Nice mix of sport and utility. 4wd with a really peppy engine. You can get racks for it if you want too.

Old 05-15-2011 | 07:36 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

THank you for all the advice. I have taken some initiative and visited two local dealers for help.

I test drove a Honda Rancher 2010 420 cc and thought it was fun. The guy recommended one of these since I have zero experience and never even shifted a manual before and not sure what kind of riding I would like to do. Buy it and then upgrade in a year or two. Next I visited the Yamaha dealer and took a look at the Wolverine which they say is a hybrid and would be good for both sand dunes/dirt parks and mountain trails. I also checked out the Grizzly 450 and 550 but price started climbing up. Sat on a sport quad and realized they are a lot less comfortable and 60 to 70 mph seems a bit scary having never rode one before. I plan to visit a bunch of places and possibly rent some. I don't have a trailer hitch/trailer yet so I hope you can just rent some onsite.

For now, I think my riding would be mostly offroad parks, wide open areas with mixed dirt/sand dunes but I also want to do some minor to moderate trails and potential to head up into the mountains for longer rides at a later time but I have no connections in the sport so far here. I live in Albuquerque, NM.

Yamaha dealer said the Wolverine 450 would fit me best while Honda says the Rancher 420. I still plan to take a look at he other quads mentioned.

What do you guys think at this point... sport or utility or hybrid?

Thanks a bunch!

KW

Old 05-16-2011 | 07:50 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

If you want to go with a hybrid mix of sport and 4wd utility I'd recommend the Can-Am Renegade 500. Fastest 500cc with an automatic out there. Nice comfortable ride but also very sporty. It's faster than the Polaris Scrambler 500 or the Yamaha Wolverine 450. It's also pricier though. But, if you got the Renegade 500 you probably wouldn't need to "upgrade" in a year or two. It will handle anything any other 4wd quad can.

Old 05-16-2011 | 09:21 AM
Trailblazer

Each category haves their own purpose, sport quads are small and lightweight so those are easy to move under the rider so rider can use their body weight to compensate the curve leaning (or lack of lean). The rest of category will need the same compensation while sideways on slopes etc but as machine weight is higher, the compensation (body move) still makes difference but is not as effective as on lightweight sport quads.
Which would work for you? Dealers are trying to sell their products so in most cases it is just sales talk without hands-on experience. If you are lucky and actually find dealer where sales guys are active riders and wrench their own machines then you can pay more attention to what they say. Most of us would probably promote the type one rides as most feels it’s the best. I would say rent and ride and after a while it will give you idea what you prefer.
Just be aware once a while you might have feeling you wish you had something else and so did I while I was at sand dunes I wished I had hybrid to play around. Later that day I was happy I had my utility with racks when I pulled over and took snack and drinks out from my rear box, after spending whole day at dunes and following gps to head back to loading spot, I noticed I was running low with gas and it was another reason I liked mine as I had extra fuel (4 gal flat fuel pack/jerry) mounted on my front rack.
Are you planning to ride only on summer or around the year? Fenders and mud coverage is one convenience aspect. I ride all 4 seasons, from dry summer to wet fall to snowy winter (I have skidoo gear and helmet for cold season) and to me sport quad without fenders is no go and 4x2 sport quad on snow is fun for doing donuts but that’s all while 4x4 utility/hybrid can go enjoy the snowy trails.

While you are looking quads, don't forget the helmet...

Old 05-16-2011 | 01:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Checkout the Suzuki KingQuad 500 axi with power steering. My wife and I just traded up from a couple Suzuki Vinsons. The KingQuad 500 is just awsome with the power steering, fuel injection, independent rear suspension and adjustable shocks. I am 6'1" and over 200 lbs. I have never been anywhere that the 500cc didn't perform. Of course I don't blast through the woods at 50 mph, or sink it to the top of the tires in mud.

Quick Reply: Advice needed