General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

what do you ACTUALLY have to do when welding

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011 | 07:22 PM
|
Trailblazer
Question what do you ACTUALLY have to do when welding

hey everyone,
there is a few different views when coming to welding on an ATV (or any vehicle) such as disconnecting the battery, keeping the ground beside the weld and disconnecting the cdi unit.. i even heard one person going on about he disconnects every electrical unit on the quad including the headlights!!!
so guys what do you think?
what are the proper precautions?
thanks,
IrishDude

Old 12-11-2011 | 08:31 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by irishdude
hey everyone,
there is a few different views when coming to welding on an ATV (or any vehicle) such as disconnecting the battery, keeping the ground beside the weld and disconnecting the cdi unit.. i even heard one person going on about he disconnects every electrical unit on the quad including the headlights!!!
so guys what do you think?
what are the proper precautions?
thanks,
IrishDude
IME- I've welded frames and objects on dozens of atv's & dirtbikes (and tractors, cars & heavy equipment) As a diesel mechanic and a part time welder for Hope Air Group years ago.
I've never disconnected anything- never had any problems either.

If you're mig, tig or arc welding, place the ground clamp as close to your arc as possible and you'll never have a problem-

the lead from your coil going to the spark plug has voltages as high as 20k + and more then enough current being grounded through your engine, which is connected to your frame. connecting a ground to your frame from the welder is no different- though I'm sure someone will disagree.

Old 12-11-2011 | 08:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i've never disconnected anything on a quad when welding to a frame or adding racks. to concur with beergut, put the ground as close to the spot where welding will be performed. i've experienced zero issues and have welded several times.

Old 12-11-2011 | 09:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

is your post asking about the technicalities of welding?
it's like sewing liquid metal quickly so as to solidify when done to complete the repair. some use circular motions and other use a cross-stitch method. some are semi-circular with a push puddle method. just depends on uphill, downhill, upside down, or other factors that may affect your welding. Temperature is the main thing along with metallurgy and thickness of metal you are welding. good luck. i'm sure there are some youtube videos of welding that'll show you "behind the hood" footage so you'll see what the stinger/rod assembly is actually doing. good luck.

Old 12-12-2011 | 06:32 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Same here. I never unhook anything to weld. Never had problems.

Old 12-12-2011 | 10:36 AM
|
Trailblazer

ok thanks guys i think its pretty obvious from that, that the only precaution is to keep the ground beside the weld!!!