General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.
View Poll Results: Poll: Do you facebook?
Yes- I facebook
61.76%
No- I don't facebook
38.24%
Still deciding- I plan on trying facebook soon.
0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

poll: Do you Facebook?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011 | 06:57 AM
|
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Default poll: Do you Facebook?

read this article about facebook and people who refuse to join (I'm one of'em)- wondering what others around the forum think?

for personal reasons- I despise facebook. I did try it about 5 years ago, and that lasted about a week- I can't imagine a day when you'd see me back on facebook. My wife on the other hand, loves her facebook .

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/14/te...ss#postcomment

Old 12-14-2011 | 07:19 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Not that interested in it. I go back to the days of ICQ and some of the early instant messenger programs. I even had a 286 when the 386 was the top computer buy and 40 MB was a ton of storage on your hard drive. I enjoy forums for a little bit of anonymity. Facebook and Twitter seem a bit too open in my mind. I've seen friends' teenage daughters posting openly on MySpace and other sites saying things that would scare me if I had a teenage daughter. There are way too many perverts and child molesters out there that are just waiting for the opportunity to grab someone. I just don't like that so much of people's personal information is out there. Forums are about as open as I want to be.

Old 12-14-2011 | 07:34 AM
Pro Rider

Good point about the kids Moose. If I had kids i'd watch or restrict their facebook activity very carefully. There are way too many people allowing grade school kids into this adult world. Other than that I am very comfortable with it for myself.

Old 12-14-2011 | 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

I'd be comfortable enough with it but I don't want to have to clear a thousand "let's be friends" messages from people I haven't met. At least on the forums I can take my time and get to know a little bit about someone before we go on a ride. It's enough for me.

BTW, how are you feeling? I still wince when I think of your accident.

Old 12-14-2011 | 08:14 AM
Trailblazer

I refuse to have facebook, my friend owns a computer store and he loves it........... more people get viruses from facebook than any other place. Everytime someone brings in a computer with a virus from facebook he makes 50 bucks for about 15 mins of work.

Old 12-14-2011 | 08:14 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

I joined. But...

There are a lot of places that you have to have an account to get coupons, discounts and to enter contests. (see latest Polaris contest) So I have one just for that reason. Don't send me anything saying you want to be my friend. I'll ignore it. Unless you're going to do one of the three things listed above.

Old 12-14-2011 | 09:41 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

I do FB and enjoy it.

I signed up and un-signed several times.

I disabled the e-mail notifications, ignore "people you might know" and the majority of friend requests. The friends on my friend list are friends and not "people I know".

I have no personal data listed like phone numbers or anything else.

I use it as a social media to stay in touch with family and friends.

I also post pictures to promote our resort and the local town to promote tourism on their FB pages.

Old 12-14-2011 | 11:59 AM
|
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

my personal rant about facebook, by beergut

Faceook sucks in so many ways.
FB has created some tense moments in my house- for example:
things my mother posted were used against me in court during my custody battle with my ex.
Also, my wife, being a school teacher is always dealing with parents & other children (every year) who cross the line, despite "safety" settings - there's always a way around them. Pre-facebook, these same people would have to deal face to face during an in-school PTC or during normal hours- but now, my wife is always about how someone is posting how they don't like how she runs a class room. - It's easier to slam a person behind a keyboard than face to face- so now there's too much information being shared with facebook and people feel "obligated" to express their opinions-

It has also caused "uncomfortable" situations within my family- when someone just assumes "everyone" is on FB and posts a b-day party for a family member, and I didn't hear about it until the morning of- and then they say "oh, I thought you were on fb?" Even this christmas i have family discussing gifts they want to buy or have bought for my 2 sons and I hear nothing about it until I'm at the store with my wife picking out gifts and she says "oh- so & so already bought that- they posted it on fb..."

If a friend or family member cant take a few seconds to personally invite me or inform me via email, text or a phone call about an event or a decision that involves the family... then fock'em

I think facebook is actually "anti-social" - the way it's designed- just by nature, it excludes the people who chose not to FB. I understand it comes down on how the actual person uses it- generally speaking.
Perhaps if fb had a way that allowed the member to include a non members email for important announcments- that would be nice.

I understand people use it to keep in touch with family members- but then they ignore the family who does not have it! It becomes their sole medium for communication...

then there's the whole - hundreds or thousands of "friends" who are these people? I have maybe 2 dozen people in my life I'd call friends (many at atvc ) and a lot less that I'd consider close friends that I speak to or write to on a weeky basis...

ehhh- I coukd go on & on about how much I despise facebook

ok- I'm done with my rant

Old 12-14-2011 | 12:14 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

I control who can post on my FB page.

Drama is not allowed, by anyone - period.

I have a handful of family and friends that I like staying in contact with and FB works out nicely for that.

My family plans and/or anything vaguely important are still made via the telephone or scribed on the canyon walls.

I know a lot of people that FB has caused big problems for. So far I haven’t been one of them.

I seldom accept friend requests. If that pisses them off oh well.

Old 12-14-2011 | 12:23 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

This is my social media outlet. If you can't use it, you probably won't hear from me.

Quick Reply: poll: Do you Facebook?