General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

amphibious atv soon for sale... who's buying one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 07:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our local TV news ran a story about this thing today. They showed it driving down dirt roads and then entering a lake and taking off like a Jet ski. On land it looked pretty pathetic. It is absolutely enormous, and would never fit on a typical ATV trail. Handling looked horrible, and the driver made it look like it was all he could do just to keep it on the Jeep road he was on. In water it didn't look much better; every time it turns the tires dip into the water and cause a lot of drag. And its over priced as well. I can't really see anyone buying one of these things.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:54 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If it had retractable wings and could fly too,then it might be worth the price.. OPT

Old 10-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

If they made one that held four people, and kept it at that price it might be a little more interesting.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, the price isn't that bad, especially there is a news that the Amphibious ATV, Gibbs Quadski, is offering sale for this year. Basically, the curious maker of aquatic vehicles like the Gibbs Aquada, particularly amphibious car have not yet introduced any vehicles properly in to the market. However, the Gibbs Quadski, an amphibious ATV, is ready for production and will be going on sale this year for a princely $40,000.

It's quite exiting!

Old 10-19-2012, 08:22 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by philbertaH
Well, the price isn't that bad, especially there is a news that the Amphibious ATV, Gibbs Quadski, is offering sale for this year. Basically, the curious maker of aquatic vehicles like the Gibbs Aquada, particularly amphibious car have not yet introduced any vehicles properly in to the market. However, the Gibbs Quadski, an amphibious ATV, is ready for production and will be going on sale this year for a princely $40,000.

It's quite exiting!

are you smoking crack? "back to topic"??? the entire thread has been on topic...

$40k isn't bad????

I can buy a loaded 4 passenger can-am commander,

a Sea-Doo GTX Limited 260

and still have $10,000 left over to buy a sweet trailer to tow'em both!!!!!!!!!!!

$40k for that clumsy duck-boat is a total joke.

not to mention the BS logistics into registering one- first you'd have to reg as an atv, get club memberships & state stickers for any trails system you'd want to ride, then you have to reg in your home state as a vessel / boat... and you have to pay reg fees as if it were an atv & a jetski!

this duck-boat is nothing but a novelty- and it's gonna flop, I guarantee it- no one is gonna pay $40k for a novelty clumsy vehicle that does neither aspect (trail riding & boating) well.

drop the price to $18k, make it smaller and better looking and you might sell a few units to some weekend warriors in the california hills.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:16 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Agreed $40,000 is bad. BeerGut is even talking about Highend Top of the line 4 seater and PWC. Even a mid class machines like a 450 Rino and 1000cc Yamaha VX would outperform that heavy machine both on Land and water and you would save $25,000.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by beergut
are you smoking crack? "back to topic"??? the entire thread has been on topic...

$40k isn't bad????

I can buy a loaded 4 passenger can-am commander,

a Sea-Doo GTX Limited 260

and still have $10,000 left over to buy a sweet trailer to tow'em both!!!!!!!!!!!

$40k for that clumsy duck-boat is a total joke.

not to mention the BS logistics into registering one- first you'd have to reg as an atv, get club memberships & state stickers for any trails system you'd want to ride, then you have to reg in your home state as a vessel / boat... and you have to pay reg fees as if it were an atv & a jetski!

this duck-boat is nothing but a novelty- and it's gonna flop, I guarantee it- no one is gonna pay $40k for a novelty clumsy vehicle that does neither aspect (trail riding & boating) well.

drop the price to $18k, make it smaller and better looking and you might sell a few units to some weekend warriors in the california hills.

no but the quadski is exiting

Old 10-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by philbertaH

It's quite exiting!

Actually the price is crazy for a toy. 40K is 1/3 of what I paid for my house.
As a consumer I can buy a great atv for 10k and a great jetski for 10k. Thats 20k less than a quadski. If a quadski could preform and handle just as well as a standard atv and jetski sales might be ok, but I doubt it.
As far as the market goes I dont feel there is a market for such machines. Amphibious cars were introduced to the public in the ? 60's? Argo has been around since the 70's? I dont think any wheeled amphibious vehicle has ever had great success with the general public. IMHO there are 3 reasons why. 1, performance, a wheeled amphibious machine can not hang with a sport or 4x4 quad and its probably not as fun as a real jetski. 2, Its a mental thing. If my a$$ is floating over 50' of water its not going to be on a dual purpose machine. It will be in a boat or on a real jetski. 3, For most people its all about the Benjamin's.
I wish you guys at Gibbs the best of luck!!!

Old 07-22-2023, 11:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

I built this amphibious ATV for the marsh areas. I started with a 2009 wrecked Suzuki King Quad 750 that I bought for $1200. I wish I had a cheap higher horsepower Can Am 1000 to start with as a donor bike. I have a lot of work but very little money invested in the project (less than $3500 total) and it can go places the Gibbs Quad Ski cannot go. The Gibbs Quad Ski jet pump gets plugged up the second some lily pad or marsh grass gets sucked up in the marine drive pump. I am running a weed-less hex shaft heavy duty stainless 12x12 Mudboat prop. See attached video