General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Hare scramble atvs

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hare scramble atvs

I am getting into hare scrambles here in Pa. I'm gonna go my first year with the blaster I have but I'm wondering what would be a good quad after it? I will be racing in a open class next year.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, check what riders in the class you will be in next year are using. Most likely you are looking at a 450. The Can-Am XC model has some nice bang for the buck. If you can find one the KTM is a beast. Any of the big 4 Japanese makes are good too. Bottom line is that they will all need a little customization to get you where you are RELIABLE, comfortable and competitive. I would actually look to find a machine you like already set up for xc. A lot of folks will tell you not to buy a raced machine. From experience, no one that has any success in endurance racing gets by for long on poor maintenance. Yes, you still need to go over the machine with a fine tooth comb, but I would rather have something that has been run hard and maintained than take a chance on questionable service.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok out of them all what would be the most reliable and cheapest to maintain

Old 11-01-2013, 02:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, they all need suspension work to reach full potential, even the KTM and Can Am. The Honda is a pretty good starting point. I personally run YFZ and they don't need much for prep besides tie rods and skid plates. The motors are tough as nails, but they tend to have more of a mid range hit somewhat reminiscent of a 2 stroke that will tire you out on very technical tracks. The Suzuki is possibly the best starting point, but they need to be narrowed and were only made for 4 years which is a damn shame. Not a lot of guys run Kawies. I know they need a few small things to get them reliable and a few motor goodies make them breathe fire.