General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 01:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice

So I've been riding ATV's basically my whole but very sporadically. I'm about to become a very avid rider however my knowledge of the machines beyond gas, break, shift, is limited. I'm looking to buy a couple ATV's this month. Just looking for opinions, advice, like I said no knowledge. Like what's better 2 stroke or 4? And why? And what would be a better ATV, Honda TRX, or Yamaha Raptor

Old 06-26-2014, 04:08 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to buy new it will have to be a 4-stroke. They quit making 2-strokes years ago. As to which quad is better I don't know.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Definitly go with the 4 stroke becuase they are less maintanince better fuel efficency and if i were you go with honda all day they are reliable amd good working four wheelers and buy utilitys if ur trying to make money everyone loves a honda 4x4 dont get yamahas just a crappy fourwheeler esspecially the motors

Old 07-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgeram1500
Definitly go with the 4 stroke becuase they are less maintanince better fuel efficency and if i were you go with honda all day they are reliable amd good working four wheelers and buy utilitys if ur trying to make money everyone loves a honda 4x4 dont get yamahas just a crappy fourwheeler esspecially the motors
My friend with over 14,000 miles on his Grizzly would disagree.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

What raptor and trx are you looking at? There are a few models available under these names and they all appeal to a different demographic. Your riding style, terrain and mechanical ability should be the deciding factors. You can never go wrong with a Honda or a yamaha. The 2 most trusted names in the industry, especially when it comes to sport bikes

Old 07-16-2014, 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Some grizzlys are good but ive seen so many raptors blow up its not even funny i got a buddy with a foreman 400 it has 30,000 miles on it never had a problem

Old 07-17-2014, 07:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kj it really depends on the riding your doing? I like 4 stroke w/CVT trans and awd with independent suspension.
This allows me not to have to switch gears or clutch or both without to much hassle in the rocks which in the Northeast are very prevalent. The all wheel drive is a plus no matter what the independent suspension is a POSH ride!!!
AND I enjoy reverse!!!!
Sport quads have a little lower clearance some have no reverse and solid axles with gears semi auto or clutch and 2 and four stroke motors, I just prefer the utility for what I do which is mostly trail riding.

The 2 stroke motor has no valves other than a reed system and fires every other stroke of the piston oil must be mixxed with the fuel or it gets 2 hot ( 2 cycle oil). The motor produces twice the power genrally but wears out quite quickly on the top end.
The 4 stroke has a valve train and fires every 4th rotation of the piston (intake,compression, fire, exhaust) it has more torque less revs and way less heat so you don't have to mix fuel straight gas is fine.
Hope that helps
Dave

Old 07-17-2014, 07:20 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

If you do wind up buying used, you really wind up at the mercy of whoever had the quad before you. Some may have had the crap ridden out of them, but were taken care of and mechanically are in good shape. Some may have just been used to putt around on, but all they ever did was add gas. Looks good but you could be running on oil 5 years old.

Ask if they have any maintenance records and manuals. Chances are, the records aren't going to be kept, but if they have a manual, it's a sign they did more than just add gas.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:21 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

More advice.

Date her if she's got money, marry her if she treats you well.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer

You wanna thrill, ride 2 strokes, 50% more usable power and easy maintenance, 4 stroke definitely more user friendly. Most Two strokes MUST be tuned for any changes in elevation of more than a few hundred feet. Four strokes fuel injected, electric start, reverse, very pug and play. But heavy as can be. My LT500 zilla weighs 100 lbs less than my 700r Raptor, makes double the HP, and I can pull the jug with the tank and head still on.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice