General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

2000 Sportsman no start issue. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Sportsman no start issue. Help!

Hi guys. Please help! I have a 2000 Polaris Sportsman 500. I parked it in my garage after riding today and just as I parked it, it stalled out (thank god it was in my garage!). It would not start after attempting several times. I had ½ tank of gas and added more gas just incase (also I use fuel stabile always so no water in gas issue). But still NG. I checked for spark and I have good spark. I then pulled the fuel line off of the carb and this is where I am confused.. The fuel is flowing constantly from the line to the carb even when key is off. Not too heavy of flow, but constantly flowing. I then turned the key on and started engine expecting a stronger flow of fuel. But it seems to be the same flow of gas to me. Since I am not too good with ATV or small engines and carburetor’s, is this flow normal or should I replace fuel pump? Should there be little to no flow until I crank the engine over? Is this just a gravity flow I am seeing, and is this normal when key is off to have this non-stop flow? Also when I sprayed carb cleaner directly into carb, it starts right up, but of course dies when that carb cleaner runs out. So would this be bad fuel pump or carb issue? Thanks!

Old 02-09-2018, 04:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

There will be a little fuel flow when you pull the line at the carb but usually will stop. Crank the engine over. You should have a steady or pulsing stream of fuel if the pump is ok. If it's weak,pump may need to be replaced. I'd check the hose to the pump also especially the one at the bottom which is the vacuum line to the carb. Wouldn't hurt to make sure the tank vent is open also. One last thing is to try the fuel valve on reserve. If it pumps fuel then,the fuel valve could be the problem. If you eliminated everthing and down to the pump these are cheap on ebay or amazon. Same pump style is used on all carb models. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pump-F...JXx~9W&vxp=mtr

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Sportsman no start issue. Help!-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 02-09-2018, 06:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply! Yes i did try the switch on reserve tank setting. I thought maybe the "on" setting had a clog or something. But same results with it on "reserve" or "on". I also felt the fuel would leak out when i disconnected it from the carb, then soon stop just like on a cars fuel line. But thats what surprised/confused me, it just keeps coming out to the point that i had to get a cup to catch it all. It doesnt seem to stop the steady flow of gas even when cranking. Could a faulty fuel pump cause this steady unchanged flow? So how do i check the vacuum line? I assume i will feel a suction on it when cranking it with my finger covering it? Also to check the tank vent can i just take the gas cap off?

Old 02-09-2018, 06:27 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Pump diaphragm ruptured if fuel is still flowing from the pump outlet line to the carb. Another reason to replace it.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks!! I just ordered the pump online. I will try that first then.