General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

2018 Yamaha Kodiak 450 - Anybody got one? Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 03:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Yamaha Kodiak 450 - Anybody got one? Opinions?

As the title says, do any of you own one of the new Yamaha Kodiak 450s? What do you think of it?

I currently have a 2014 Honda Rancher 420 with electric shift and I HATE the electric shift mechanism. I bought it used and got a smoking deal on it (had 75 miles on it and paid just under 5K).

Still has less than 500 miles on it. Nothing at all wrong with it - never really been dirty. I simply don't like it. I actually bought myself a 2014 Honda Rubicon but the wife decided she loved that one and took it from me. SO, I bought the Rancher thinking I'd like it and I just don't. I want an auto trans and IRS.

Clearly, we don't ride that much so I can't justify spending a ton of money BUT the Yamaha offers the two features I want for a pretty good price. So, I'm thinking about selling the Rancher and buying the Yamaha. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 03-07-2018, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I do not own one but have some friends that do. In fact two friends that have one, each from different years. Yes they love them, very handy size, easy to throw around on the trails so they say. Both of these guys are smaller in stature so the machine fits them well, I have sat on them and they feel comfortable. Both owners have said the machines are not designed for big people. Go sit and test ride one to be sure! Never buy until you have rode one....riding an uncomfortable machine can be no fun at all!!
Keep us posted on what you decide.

PS....I was never a fan of Honda electric shift trannies, in my area they don't sell, but I guess there are some that love them.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:59 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't actually seen one yet but know they're a mid‑size chassis, and Yamaha's CVT is one of the best. A quick look online says the 421cc SOHC engine is fuel injected, which I think is a plus.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd check out the Can-Am Outlander 450L as well. I have a co-worker who has one and really likes it. Quite a bit more power than the Kodiak 450 too. He's a pretty big guy too, about 6'1 and 275 lbs. The Textron Alterra 500(actually 443cc) is another one to look at. From what I have seen, it is one of the best values in a 450cc 4x4 atv. My local dealer is selling the 2018 models for $4499+fees. That Kymco built 443cc engine puts out good power for its size too, also more than the Yamaha. Its the same engine that is in the utv that Kymco 450i has and it has plenty of get up and go in the much heavier side by side.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone!

I've looked at the Can Am Outlander and I like it but the closest dealer is around 150 miles away so service may be an issue for me.

To be honest, I've never heard of the Textron ATVs. I have heard of Kymco and after reading a bit I see they are gaining a following pretty quickly. Like the Can Ams, however, no dealers anywhere near me so that might be an issue.

Honda, Yamaha and Polaris are what is sold locally. Not much else. I've always been a pretty diehard Honda guy when it comes to quads and the Rubicon we have is a good machine but this Rancher is just not my favorite.

I owned a Yamaha 450 Rhino for a few years. I sorta liked it but I prefer a quad. We quit riding it and I sold it. Kinda wish I'd kept it to be honest.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I know you think 150 miles is a long way to go, but look at it realistically, how many times will you need to go there for repairs? Honestly most machines are well built today and if properly maintained you will probably never go back to the dealer. I took my machine in once, during the warranty to have a small issues looked at while getting a seal replaced under a recall. Wife rode along, we dropped the machine and went out to lunch and did a little shopping in a town we rarely get to. made a nice enjoyable day of it. Chances are quite small that you will have issues that will need making regular trips back and forth to the dealer. Many people who are disappointed with there machines are the people that just bought one because it was convenient. Take a drive and check out various makes and models and be sure you buy the model that suits your needs and comfort. Nothing worse than having a machine that you don't really care for.....and still making payments on it !!

Old 03-08-2018, 01:07 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't buy anything from a dealer 150 miles away. It would be about a 5 hour round trip to drop it off, and another 5 hours to pick it up. I don't even drive that far to get to the trails and back. My dealer is 20 miles away and right next to the freeway I drive on my way to the trails and back on. I can drop my ATV off on the way home if I want them to look at it, and pick it up on my next trip.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Textron is the company that bought out Arctic Cat. The Alterra models are basically the same as last year just with the Textron name on them. They kept a lot of the Arctic Cat models in their lineup for 2018. The Polaris Sportsman 450HO is another in the same price range. I just checked my local Yamaha dealer's website and the base model Kodiak 450 is only $200 less than the base Kodiak 700. They were selling the 450 for $5299 and the 700 for $5499. It would be hard not to pick the 700 when the price is so close. The Suzuki King quad 400 is about the same price too(they also sell Suzuki). The Suzuki engine is smaller and less powerful though. The King Quad 500 wasn't much more though.