General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

SxS and Trail Destruction

Old 06-28-2018, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Over $350,000 a year goes into maintenance of the Paiute Trail.

Most of the money comes from gas taxes that go into a state wide OHV fund. $18 of every OHV goes into the fund also. Utah has over 300,000 registered ATVs and SxS. Snowmobile registrations only contribute $1 toward this fund.

The OHV funds are spread across the state for all OHV trails including Jeep trails, snowmobile trails and ATV trails. Not sure how much the state get total.

Our Committee just spent $7000 having steel barriers built plus what we'll be spending on trail cameras for added security. We also pay for the fencing material, cattle guards and other items needed by the Forest Service who does the maintenance on the trail system.

I would much rather see our money going into trail maintenance than barriers and cameras.

Some people just suck. That's all there is to it.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't condone people purposely tearing up trails or making their own but not everybody likes to putt around at 5 mph on an easy trail. I basically like to ride as fast as I feel I can safely on any particular trail. I've watched so many videos and think, "Why are they going so slow, that looks so boring." There is a happy medium between riding like Miss Daisy and riding like you're competing at Baja. But yes, don't purposely make ruts and do donuts and tear up the trail. But you don't have to go lawnmower slow to protect the trail either.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well said Greg.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are always a few butt holes that like to ruin it for everyone else. I have a neighbor that has to be in his early 60's, but he acts like a 10 year old. Where ever he goes, he has to do doughnuts. Then he likes to leave his mark= sticking his Bud Lite empty cans on broken off branches at eye level. Cool, I pick em all up and redeem em. He likes my driveway to leave his "crop circles" and as soon as it snows, rips up and down 50 times in my field with his snow sled, more crop circles. Can't blame it on anything but the few morons that cause the grief. That's life,

Old 06-29-2018, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

I like watching trail vids but the ones filmed on a motorcycle are annoying mainly because you can tell they are doing their best to do spin outs and wheelies and all. Did a poker run some years ago (mainly gravel roads) and a group of bikers got in front of me and a few others and were constantly throwing sand back at us. We slowed down so they got about a mile ahead then we sped back up. People that do trails on sport ATV's aren't a whole lot better in terms of how they treat the trail either.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:22 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
I don't condone people purposely tearing up trails or making their own but not everybody likes to putt around at 5 mph on an easy trail. I basically like to ride as fast as I feel I can safely on any particular trail. I've watched so many videos and think, "Why are they going so slow, that looks so boring." There is a happy medium between riding like Miss Daisy and riding like you're competing at Baja. But yes, don't purposely make ruts and do donuts and tear up the trail. But you don't have to go lawnmower slow to protect the trail either.
Most of my friends ride so fast I don't feel safe trying to keep up with them. A little slower and I'm okay. I don't like it when we get behind Sunday drivers who are just putt-putting along. I totally agree "There is a happy medium between riding like Miss Daisy and riding like you're competing at Baja." Stay on the trail and tread lightly.

Old 09-30-2018, 04:05 PM
Trailblazer

I have rutted up one spot that I am not proud of. It has nothing to do with how wide our fast. Soft ground can rut when wet. This is a spot not really a trail, but the woods. Buddy thinks it drains better now.

Going out in woods, when to wet, and when you know you shouldn't but still want to get through, is part of the problem.