General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

MICHIGAN need riding friend/buddy over 50

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 07:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Getting ready for the next trip, just changed oil, mounted compass to quad, that arrived yesterday, where it will be easily visible even while riding on tight trail conditions, even at night, at just a slight glance down! Also have a sun shield mounted around Garmain GPS, leaving for a bright view of screen avoiding any of suns glare on screen, even during out in full sun, and avoiding having to take hands off steering, to try and shield screen, which takes time while driving quickly on trails and could be dangerous, where in seconds could cause a loss of control, causing tires to accidental catch objects near the trails edge, possible driving rider into a tree or off the side, down a steep embankment, which nearly happened last trip, leaving me to get on this fix right away after getting back home! Too dangerous, taking unnecessary chances like that could break bones or worse, been there done that, just last spring, not worth the chances! Shield them GPS's!

Old 09-01-2019, 07:37 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 4-tracker
Getting ready for the next trip, just changed oil, mounted compass to quad, that arrived yesterday, where it will be easily visible even while riding on tight trail conditions, even at night, at just a slight glance down! Also have a sun shield mounted around Garmain GPS, leaving for a bright view of screen avoiding any of suns glare on screen, even during out in full sun, and avoiding having to take hands off steering, to try and shield screen, which takes time while driving quickly on trails and could be dangerous, where in seconds could cause a loss of control, causing tires to accidental catch objects near the trails edge, possible driving rider into a tree or off the side, down a steep embankment, which nearly happened last trip, leaving me to get on this fix right away after getting back home! Too dangerous, taking unnecessary chances like that could break bones or worse, been there done that, just last spring, not worth the chances! Shield them GPS's!
I'll get pic's of the new set up

Old 09-01-2019, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I know what you mean, I have a hugh sun shade over mine to keep the glare off everything so I can keep both hands on the wheel. I mounted my ball compass right in frnt of me to see it easily, however when running thru the trails t spins alot, best to slow down to get a good read.....oh...wait...the gps gives me my heading...better to have both!

Old 09-01-2019, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm trying to figure out the need for a compass? Especially if you have a gps. Are you in areas SO remote and open that you cant figure out NSEW?

Old 09-01-2019, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

YES....the numerous trails crisscross and run at various angles and arcs. Compass is secondary to gps but a big help. When comming to an intersection where 3 or more trails cross the compass makes it easier to choose the right trail. There are also many added trails not shown on the gps and the compass points you in the right direction ro get back to the main trail. A big reason is when you stop, the gps no longer tells you what direction you are headed until you start moving again. I try to glance at gps before stopping to see the direction I am headed, especially where multiple trails cross, the compass then tells me which trail I need to proceed. I just find having both makes going in strange areas so much easier. I have covered more than 375 miles in 3 trips to the same area this year, but still finding areas I have never saw or been to before.

The following users liked this post:
Alex G. (09-02-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

Ken you beat me to the punch, and took the words right out of my mouth lol Up until using GPS, I had to rely on a compass, and even with GPS now the compass helps to determine the right direction to take at times, in areas where many trails came together, or when unable to see the screen from dust, and sun's glare. Still real new to GPS use, or until our last trip around St St Helen area, then taking a long trip to Leota and back to St Helen, over 200 miles in 2 days, a couple of weeks ago. GPS worked good as far as keeping us on course, when you could see the screen, except when having to stop so many times to try and cove screen, or take chances removing with one hand to cover screen while vehicle was moving, very dangerous....no more!! No matter how bright the sun is out now, while covering screen this way, its clear and quick to view, where I can finally rely on seeing a bright, clear GPS map on the screen, all the time!

The following users liked this post:
Alex G. (09-02-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

This weekend looking real good, weather wise, for up north get away, following week rain predicted for all that week. Sound like a plan? All packed n ready ken, if its a go!

Old 09-03-2019, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

Dave TitusThey get groomed weekly.
There was a lot of traffic this weekend because of the holiday.
Next weekend they will be in perfect condition again

Adam David DrankhanLittle Manistee and Lincoln Hills are the best groomed routes in the state.

These are a few recent reports back on Baldwin trails.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

Try not to do this in front of your friends lol

Facebook Post

Old 09-06-2019, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

Best part is NO helmet....probably has done this before. .just cant remember!

Quick Reply: MICHIGAN need riding friend/buddy over 50